Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Deckadence Help.

Fred4

I am pondering adding Decadence to my 2005 VLX.  I wanted to add Gator Step, but it turns out my fiberglass is unfinished under the current carpet.  It appears it will cost a lot to finish it.  I am hearing that I can just pull up the carpet and put the Decadence down over the unfinished fiberglass.  And help, advice or even thoughts on Deckadence would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

A few of us have used kiwigrip over the bare fiberglass and then installed seadek / faux seadek / Gator step over that.  I didnt think that the kiwigrip was very expensive and went down pretty easily.  I dont have first hand experience with the deckadence product but it looks like an open celled product, is there potential for being able to see the unfinished fiberglass through the deckadence?

I know @nosnarb used kiwigrip, and that was in my original plan.  But that was before I looked at fiberglass under the carpet.  My fiberglass was the manufacutured sheets, which were smooth resin on the surface with no cloth imprinting.  I only sealed where I faired out (wtih bondo) depressions using an epoxy paint.  If I had the surface where there is a cloth imprint, I absolutely would have used kiwigrip.

In your case it might make sense just to give a sense of color similar to gelcoat at the edges or any gaps.

I think you want to seal the bare fiberglass with epoxy paint or gel etc.  

I want to pull my carpet and use an epoxy bedliner to seal everything then put decadence over that.  I'm putting that project off until next year.  

3 hours ago, nosnarb said:

A few of us have used kiwigrip over the bare fiberglass and then installed seadek / faux seadek / Gator step over that.  I didnt think that the kiwigrip was very expensive and went down pretty easily.  I dont have first hand experience with the deckadence product but it looks like an open celled product, is there potential for being able to see the unfinished fiberglass through the deckadence?

Was there a lot of prep work?  How has it held up? And how did the Gator Step bond to it?  Thanks

Didn't know you can buy kiwigrip or other products until this post.  I thought I had to pull my carpet and start scraping glue off to prep the surface.  My issues/concerns are that I have no idea how big the project is until I start and once I start it's too late.  I have no idea if it's worth it, but I do know when ppl have DIY'd and transformed their floors to gator or seadeck it looks amazing.  I really don't know what to do.  My carpet is in good shape.

I don't know much about the kiwigrip.  I am planning on having my dealer do the work.  I get a 20% discount on both the product and the labor, not too mention, I am not good at DIY stuff.  If it were as simple as pulling up the carpet and just brushing on kiwistep and letting it dry, I may give it a try, but I don't think it is that easy.  For me, it never is.

1 hour ago, Fred4 said:

Was there a lot of prep work?  How has it held up? And how did the Gator Step bond to it?  Thanks

prep wasn't bad, worst part of it was getting some construction adhesive off that a previous owner had used to tack down the carpet in some places.  The key is making sure that you get the fiberglass as clean and dust free as possible before applying the kiwigrip and before you install the flooring.  So far the faux seadek has bonded well and you could always use some contact cement if need be.

18 minutes ago, nosnarb said:

prep wasn't bad, worst part of it was getting some construction adhesive off that a previous owner had used to tack down the carpet in some places.  The key is making sure that you get the fiberglass as clean and dust free as possible before applying the kiwigrip and before you install the flooring.  So far the faux seadek has bonded well and you could always use some contact cement if need be.

thanks

5 hours ago, Fred4 said:

I am pondering adding Decadence to my 2005 VLX.  I wanted to add Gator Step, but it turns out my fiberglass is unfinished under the current carpet.  It appears it will cost a lot to finish it.  I am hearing that I can just pull up the carpet and put the Decadence down over the unfinished fiberglass.  And help, advice or even thoughts on Deckadence would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

As others mentioned your floor definitely needs to be sealed.   You could probably use a product called durabak.   It is cheap and easy to apply and works very good.

https://www.durabakcompany.com

I had deckadence in my last boat, put 205 hours on it and I really liked the stuff.  Will definitely be adding it to my lsv.  It's bulletproof and wears like iron.  Personally I like it better than the Gatorstep product a lot of people are using now.  I am a fan of being able to take out my carpet and clean it.  Permanent flooring has never appealed to me.  It will drain and dry quickly this is why you need to have your floor sealed up.  It also does allow particles to drop through it (surprisingly).  Also  Impossible to stain!  It is a great product and feels good on your feet:)

You can buy a piece and cut it yourself for $650-850 depending on the size.  Jims flooring is a good vendor to use.

http://www.jimsmarineflooring.com/

Love the deckadence in my boat, still looks brand new and going on 4th season, soft on feet, super easy to remove/clean. Not to friendly on bare knees, but luckily I don't do much of that, lol

Bought decadence aftermarket, cut a pattern, cut the decadence, did my own custom logos, and absolutely love it.  Bullet proof.  Looks great all the time.  No staining.  Soft on feet.  Never gets hot.  Won't have another boat without it.  

12 hours ago, malibudog said:

Bought decadence aftermarket, cut a pattern, cut the decadence, did my own custom logos, and absolutely love it.  Bullet proof.  Looks great all the time.  No staining.  Soft on feet.  Never gets hot.  Won't have another boat without it.  

Pictures bro....

I cant decide if I want to bother w logos or not.  

• 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:12 AM, malibudog said:

Planning to install Deckadence next off season. I've read on other forums that it gets hot. You say that it doesn't get hot. Which is true?

I think the heat is similar to like colored carpet.  Maybe slightly better.  I'm planning to install it also and I talked to the deckadence guys about the heat.  I wanted blue but since I live in a hot state they said get light grey.  

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't get as hot as my white seats.

It doesn't get as hot as the grey carpet I had previously

It doesn't get as hot as the older gator step product in a friend's boat

It doesn't get too hot to walk on with bare feet (or bear feet, if you have a bear)

But if you are thinking that on 100 degree days in direct sun, it is going to be more refreshing to lay on your deckadence than get in the water, I would say that idea is not so hot.

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, malibudog said:

It doesn't get as hot as my white seats.

It doesn't get as hot as the grey carpet I had previously

It doesn't get as hot as the older gator step product in a friend's boat

It doesn't get too hot to walk on with bare feet (or bear feet, if you have a bear)

But if you are thinking that on 100 degree days in direct sun, it is going to be more refreshing to lay on your deckadence than get in the water, I would say that idea is not so hot.

That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks! :cheers:

On 4/25/2018 at 11:20 PM, Fman said:

You can buy a piece and cut it yourself for $650-850 depending on the size.  Jims flooring is a good vendor to use.

http://www.jimsmarineflooring.com/

I found this link in some thread, somewhere.  Almost done with mine, going this route was a lot less expensive:

http://www.americanfloormats.com/vinyl-mesh-pool-mats/

40 minutes ago, 67King said:

I found this link in some thread, somewhere.  Almost done with mine, going this route was a lot less expensive:

http://www.americanfloormats.com/vinyl-mesh-pool-mats/

Thanks for the link... what size did you end up ordering? Is this product same as decadence? Looks the same...

Edit: Did you order with no backing under the mat?  Any pics of what your install looks like?

Edited by Fman
23 hours ago, Fman said:

Thanks for the link... what size did you end up ordering? Is this product same as decadence? Looks the same...

Edit: Did you order with no backing under the mat?  Any pics of what your install looks like?

I used a 4'x10' section, and I am goiing to have to seam in about a 10" by 6" wide piece behind the captain's chair.  That piece did not get the footwell, which is a separate piece on my boat.  I am going to have to order a separate piece for that, as I don't want to seam in remnants for that.  I may also just pull up the carpet on the vertical pieces under the seats and replace that with it, not sure, yet.  I may order some of this to see how it compares, and put it in the bow under the cushions:  http://www.utopiatools.com/Miners-Moss-Grey-60-X36-p/utgpmgrey60x36.htm  If it is the same color, I might order it for the vertical panels, as well.  It could be used for the main cabin, but it would have to be seamed, which I'd like to keep minimized.

On edit, reminder I've got a 22VLX, so your LSV would likely require a longer piece

Edited by 67King
21 hours ago, 67King said:

I used a 4'x10' section, and I am goiing to have to seam in about a 10" by 6" wide piece behind the captain's chair.  That piece did not get the footwell, which is a separate piece on my boat.  I am going to have to order a separate piece for that, as I don't want to seam in remnants for that.  I may also just pull up the carpet on the vertical pieces under the seats and replace that with it, not sure, yet.  I may order some of this to see how it compares, and put it in the bow under the cushions:  http://www.utopiatools.com/Miners-Moss-Grey-60-X36-p/utgpmgrey60x36.htm  If it is the same color, I might order it for the vertical panels, as well.  It could be used for the main cabin, but it would have to be seamed, which I'd like to keep minimized.

On edit, reminder I've got a 22VLX, so your LSV would likely require a longer piece

Have you seen deckadence before to compare to this product? Does it have the grip backing to help it from moving in the boat?  It is a great deal if its actually the same comparable product.  I am very interested in ordering a piece of it is the same quality as deckadence.

4 hours ago, Fman said:

Have you seen deckadence before to compare to this product? Does it have the grip backing to help it from moving in the boat?  It is a great deal if its actually the same comparable product.  I am very interested in ordering a piece of it is the same quality as deckadence.

I've seen the Deckadence, but it has been a while.  I can't recall well enough to definitively say one way or another, but reading other anecdotal responses made me pretty comfortable with this stuff.  And sorry I missed the backing question.  No, no backing.