Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone tow with an aftermarket hitch?

asp13

I'm looking at potentially purchasing a vehicle that doesn't have a towing setup. If these came from the factory with the tow package they have a towing rating of 7700 lbs, but the aftermarket Curt one is good for 6000lbs and 600lb tongue weight.

I would be pulling a response with a total weight ~4,000lbs for boat/trailer/fluids.

Anyone here tow with a vehicle that has an aftermarket tow package? Any impressions vs, stock? Any problems?

I dumped the OEM hitch on my old 2500 Burb and replaced it with a better (Curt) hitch.

Growing up (ages ago), dad always had a Dodge full size van that he put a hitch on to tow the boat.

If you don't have the tow package, I'd make sure to add a transmission cooler.

What are you looking at?  A Cayenne or Q7?

What kind of vehicle?

From my last month's experience, if you're looking at a Tahoe/Yukon then the towing package is a "must". Axle ratio changes, suspension changes, engine and most importantly transmission cooler. GM charges under 1k for the towing package but the vast majority don't have it. I think it drives better with the towing axle ratio. It's torquey instead of chuggy.

I looked into a Cayenne a few years back, and remember there were some caveats to the tow rating (no idea what they were now).

That vintage had plastic coolant pipes that were prone to fail, as well as a bad bearing in the driveshaft.  If you haven't already, make sure both have been addressed in the vehicle you are looking at - they are expensive when they fail.

Yeah I have a laundry list of things that needed to have been replaced before I buy a cayenne turbo (or any cayenne for that matter) including coolant pipes, carden shaft, coil packs, lower control arms etc etc. I also get the cylinders bore scoped to see if there is any scoring as that can render one of these completely useless. I almost bought a GTS the other week but the bore scope showed the start of cylinder scoring. 

All in all it will make for a great daily, super fast and fun to drive (500hp/516tq) along with good towing performance and amazing braking. These have oil/trans coolers built in stock anyway so I shouldn't have to upgrade them either.

Don't buy anything but a factory hitch for that. The aftermarket ones don't fit as nice. I put a factory one on my wife's 2010 Touareg (same chassis), it worked great and I made sure to buy the factory harness/control module for it. I researched a ton and everyone said factory or don't do it. The dealer coded the module and it worked even with LED lit trailers.