Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Illusion X Tower Pylon Question

So, the chrome is flaking badly from my 2006 Illusion X tower pylon. 

I can order a replacement SS cap from Bakes, but I can't seem to find anywhere that sells the ball portion.

I have seen a replacement ski pylon with a brushed aluminum finish on ebay, and, from the photos, it looks like it has the same size and style of ball that goes on the tower.

But, I didn't think to compare them while I was at the lake today (was expecting to find either a direct replacement, or a suggestion for repairing/refurbishing), and my boat is a two hour round trip away.

Does anybody know if they are interchangeable?

Has anyone had any luck stripping or media blasting the rest of the chrome off?

Guess that I'll have to answer my own question!

I went back up to the lake today.  I pulled off the ski pylon cap, using monofilament line to get it started and then a couple of zip ties side by side to work it off (having buggered up the edge of the tower pylon cap yesterday using a screw driver).  I then removed the retaining bolt with an allen wrench and popped off the ski pylon swivel ball.

I set it down side by side with the tower pylon swivel ball.  Except for the finish (chrome, now badly pitted and flaking, on the tower ball, and brushed aluminum on the ski pylon), they are identical.  I then mounted the pitted tower pylon swivel ball onto the ski pylon pole and tightened down the retaining bolt.  It worked perfectly well.

So, they are interchangeable, at least on my era Malibu with the Illusion X tower.

• 1 year later...

I also have an 2006 Illusion X tower pylon that is chipping away and was going to have the ball re-chromed. I know a place that does it for motorcycles and classic cars and they turn out pretty well after media blasting. I pulled the ball piece off the tower (view image). However, I think for media blasting I need to give them just the outer shell to prevent the media getting in the internal swivel bearings. Do you know how to remove the pieces apart?

y4mZIEW0FaQXOCetABs3dGCIOuo-GaOOc8kMBmXz

y4mNvmCyH0beqYxc9fIEhvdSrKR9OG-Ye5NANEnB

2 hours ago, Javi said:

I also have an 2006 Illusion X tower pylon that is chipping away and was going to have the ball re-chromed. I know a place that does it for motorcycles and classic cars and they turn out pretty well after media blasting. I pulled the ball piece off the tower (view image). However, I think for media blasting I need to give them just the outer shell to prevent the media getting in the internal swivel bearings. Do you know how to remove the pieces apart?

@srab explained the process to the T in his posting above. ;)

FWIW, my pylon was way more corroded than yours.

I ended up replacing the whole pylon [using a brushed-aluminum finish replacement, so it is exactly like the lower pylon, and IMHO, looks pretty good].

So, I never had to remove the bearings.  But, I found this thread: 

Hope this helps.

Edited by srab
  • 3 weeks later...