Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bought my First Boat (‘04 Wakesetter VLX)

dkscism

Fantastic boat!  Great-looking to boot!  Lots of good knowledge on this site so hang around!

That a diamond hull?  From that angle I can't quite tell if that outer chine is down-turned.

1 minute ago, UWSkier said:

Fantastic boat!  Great-looking to boot!  Lots of good knowledge on this site so hang around!

That a diamond hull?  From that angle I can't quite tell if that outer chine is down-turned.

I’m pretty sure it’s not. I’m not an expert even though I’ve had it explained to me more than once. 

Very nice! 

I strongly encourage you to spent the money and get a custom cover made from a local shop or Evolution covers.  Search the forum there is a lot of good things said about Evolution but I've heard he's a couple months out. I went custom because I needed one ASAP. Going the cheap Overton cover route will just cost you more in the long one. Where are you located? 

Check out the audio forum for the blue tooth. You can pick up an JL or Exile adapter for under $50.  

7 hours ago, Cazan said:

Very nice! 

I strongly encourage you to spent the money and get a custom cover made from a local shop or Evolution covers.  Search the forum there is a lot of good things said about Evolution but I've heard he's a couple months out. I went custom because I needed one ASAP. Going the cheap Overton cover route will just cost you more in the long one. Where are you located? 

Check out the audio forum for the blue tooth. You can pick up an JL or Exile adapter for under $50.  

I really wish I could. I just ordered a Sharkskin cover that should get me by this year. Hopefully next spring I will be able to get an Evolution or similar.

I'm in the Charlotte area. Boat was bought in Seneca, SC.

Thanks for the tips, I'll check out the Audio forum and see what everybody's done for Bluetooth.

1 hour ago, dkscism said:

I really wish I could. I just ordered a Sharkskin cover that should get me by this year. Hopefully next spring I will be able to get an Evolution or similar.

I'm in the Charlotte area. Boat was bought in Seneca, SC.

Thanks for the tips, I'll check out the Audio forum and see what everybody's done for Bluetooth.

Take a look at how youre powering your speakers.  If youre using amps for everything, you may be able to just get away with something super simple like below for $100.  I never use anything but bluetooth or aux on my boat anymore anyway. 

01.png

1 hour ago, sonny20 said:

How much was your sharkskin cover? There is a nice evolution cover in the classifieds for only  $400. Just need to make you own cut outs http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/classifieds.html/malibu-vlx-evolution-cover-black-r915/

I paid $340 with a 20% off code and free shipping. If he posts the measurements and they match with my Titan Tower, I may try and cancel the sharkskin order.

Thanks and good find!

Edited by dkscism
1 hour ago, 05hammerhead said:

Take a look at how youre powering your speakers.  If youre using amps for everything, you may be able to just get away with something super simple like below for $100.  I never use anything but bluetooth or aux on my boat anymore anyway. 

01.png

That and the round one look slick!  Do you have to run the Bluetooth signal through it though. In other words, would you have to tie up the AUX input to use it?  I would be nice if it just piggybacked on the current Bluetooth setup to give you the ability to control the source (pause, volume, track).

1 hour ago, dkscism said:

I paid $340 with a 20% off code and free shipping. If he posts the measurements and they match with my Titan Tower, I may try and cancel the sharkskin order.

Thanks and good find!

Call Corey, he made the cover.

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats!  How's the steering?  If it's tight be ready to change the cable. Broke mine last year...'03 w/ similar hours. 

Graphics and stereo would be cool, but keep an emergency fund so you can drop the cash on some of the normal wear items...starter, ballast pumps, trailer tires etc. You're probably a lot smarter than I was when I was 24 so maybe you covered that already. 

• Like 1