Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Swell or Nauti

racer808

I am going to order a suck gate to play with.  I have the Tsunami but it doesn't work very well.  Open to other ideas, but so far I think Swell or Nauticurl are the better choices.  Anyone play with both, any difference?  I have concerns the Nauti is going to cause a ton of spray, my tsunami makes a mess with the forward plate.  Thinking the Swell might be less harsh since its face is angled?  Any other devices?

I have a homemade suck gate that looks almost exactly like the Tsunami. I am running at an 80 degree angle from the hull. The deeper I placed the gate the worse the wake was and if we had too many people in the boat it would turn the wake to crap! It was kind of embarrassing until I figured out to run it near or at the surface and it has been working great now. All three are going to do the same thing but to less of a degree based on the device and the angle of the face, hull design and placement. I think I would play with moving it around some more until you have exhausted all possibilities before you sink some more money into another device. The MB forum might shed some light on what would work "best". Good luck. Bill.

The front face of the gate is pretty much center mass of the logo, with the top of the face just under water. The length of mine pretty much places the gate as far back as I can get it because the hull starts to curve in that area and it wont stick much farther back. I moved it forward and backward with diminishing returns, but sticking lower in the water didn't work as well.

The MB logo on mine makes it difficult, that spot seems to be exactly where it needs to be.  My buddy is borrowing me his Swell this weekend, we'll see how that one works.  I gave up on the Tsunami, it's a PIA to get it to suction down so moving it around & experimenting is just more trouble than it's worth.  I do know both basically do the same thing but I would assume face angle would play a role in the lip the wave forms?

I use nauticurl and i mount it at a 30-45 degree angle as to create lift on that side. When the boat is riding just right, the spray , or water diversion, goes over the device and lands right on the rooster coming off the middle of the boat at the very front of the wave. I can take pictures next time out.  I actually run the boat listed with a 750 in the surf side locker and use the other side to dial it in til that "spray" is just right. By running it this way, i have my firmer, listed wave that i like, without having to add bags to the seat. In essence, i use the nauticurl as a reverse wedge. 

21 minutes ago, isellacuras said:

I use nauticurl and i mount it at a 30-45 degree angle as to create lift on that side. When the boat is riding just right, the spray , or water diversion, goes over the device and lands right on the rooster coming off the middle of the boat at the very front of the wave. I can take pictures next time out.  I actually run the boat listed with a 750 in the surf side locker and use the other side to dial it in til that "spray" is just right. By running it this way, i have my firmer, listed wave that i like, without having to add bags to the seat. In essence, i use the nauticurl as a reverse wedge. 

Trying to get my wave dialed in using the nauticurl and want to make sure i'm following you on placement...  assuming you have the suction cups in front, you position the device  with the front 30-45 degrees lower on the hull than the back?  So if you're looking at the device from the side of the boat the gate is positioned like this  /   with the top of the gate more towards the bow and the bottom closer to the stern?

7 hours ago, AzAxisA22 said:

Trying to get my wave dialed in using the nauticurl and want to make sure i'm following you on placement...  assuming you have the suction cups in front, you position the device  with the front 30-45 degrees lower on the hull than the back?  So if you're looking at the device from the side of the boat the gate is positioned like this  /   with the top of the gate more towards the bow and the bottom closer to the stern?

If I'm looking at the left, port, side it is like this / but not as steep. I put the whole gate as far back as i can and the front suction cup as low as i can get it. From there i control how deep it is with ballast on the non surf side. I start with the non surf side empty and fill accordingly. When it's just right, you can tell by the "spray". If the gate is too high (meaning too much list), the water shoots straight up. If it's just right, it makes a small arch and lands right in the little of the spline coming off the back of the boat. I will try to get video next time out but our weather is looking to be a bit breezy for the next week.  I'll shoot for Sunday. 

Like this. It's creating lift to actually list the boat. 

When i come off plane (or plow?) the boat sits almost level. Much more level than when i ran 750 in the locker and 800 on the seats and 400 in the surf side bow. BUT i still get the same effect.   It doesn't matter where people sit (to a point) cause now i can adjust with ~1000# on the non surf side. 

7F5266C4-8573-4A6A-ACD6-06A3F5DF6D1A.jpeg

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

Go with an automated system and you’ll never go back, totally worth every penny:rockon:

Agreed!  We put so much time and money into the boats... why not a little bit more. :)

• Like 1