Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is this site too intimidating?

shawndoggy

On 4/25/2018 at 10:02 PM, Pra4sno said:

You're a riot man.  

We have a load of fun with water sports and have turned to just slalom after a few years of being a "3 sport crew".  I'm not sure where that puts us in terms of cooking on or off our boat, but we wouldn't cook on our boat because its messy, but more importantly because on the Echelon, right below that location are my fuel tank vents and blower vents from a gassy old carb'd motor.  

You're having a good time with it, which is the point of owning a wake/ski boat.  

Awesome, we take our grill in a plastic bin , and put an auger in at Sandbar, another auger for the Malibu table out in the water

20180617_140228.jpg

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

Awesome, we take our grill in a plastic bin , and put an auger in at Sandbar, another auger for the Malibu table out in the water

20180617_140228.jpg

Now how can anyone be intimidated by that?

Curious if anyone's ever surfed by and blown your kabobs right overboard.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, The Hulk said:

Yeah I gotta keep it high enough for when those rollers come by about a  foot-and-a-half out of the water depends where we parked if we parked further in then more the boats block the waves and I can get by lower.. plus I went with aluminum dock post augers 2in OD and they fit perfectly inside the PTM racks.. most people use 2-inch PVC augers however the OD is too large to fit into the PTM racks.. the Malibu table fits perfectly on a 2in OD post as well you just throw a small rag over it to snug up then you got a great table in the water

20180704_160657.jpg

Screenshot_20180712-160905_Photos.jpg

Looks like alot of work but that's awesome. 

• 1 month later...

@Shawdawg great post dude. I enjoyed reading through it. I’m not on here nearly as much as I used to be as life ebs and flows take place. Without out question, the TMC is the one stop source for, in my opinion, all things boating that center around Malibu Boats. 

On 4/23/2018 at 8:24 PM, shawndoggy said:

Recently I've been wondering whether this site is too intimidating for some posters?

Reason I ask is that for whatever reason I also "joined" the Malibu/Axis boat owner's group on facebook and it's nothing but dumb questions and dumb answers to dumb questions.  Even though it's not anonymous, it just seems like a bunch of drive by terrible content.  I don't even bother answering any of the many many easy to answer questions because it's clear that you'll be drowned out by the morons.

But that's what got me thinking... is TMC too hard or too intimidating?

Yeah I'm in that group, most of the people there don't really know much about boats in general, much less their boats.

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:14 AM, Bozboat said:

The other thing, I think as the average age of the boat owned by a crewmember rises, we end up with three classes of boats.  The Square Windows, the Middle (1998-2009)  and the Modern 2010 to nows.  Fewer people running the older boats each year, so fewer items of boat related interest for those hanging onto the old boats.  I would not have been able to hang onto my old 99 SSLXI without the help from those on this forum and I appreciate the help and what I have learned. I really don't have much to add to concerns about the Modern Boats. 

I agree with this 100%.  This site has been a godsend to me over my 15 years of Malibu ownership.  There is a huge archive of great information here to search through when an issue comes up.  I love this site, and the willingness of members to assist other like-minded boaters.

On 7/12/2018 at 3:03 PM, The Hulk said:

Yeah I gotta keep it high enough for when those rollers come by about a  foot-and-a-half out of the water depends where we parked if we parked further in then more the boats block the waves and I can get by lower.. plus I went with aluminum dock post augers 2in OD and they fit perfectly inside the PTM racks.. most people use 2-inch PVC augers however the OD is too large to fit into the PTM racks.. the Malibu table fits perfectly on a 2in OD post as well you just throw a small rag over it to snug up then you got a great table in the water

20180704_160657.jpg

Screenshot_20180712-160905_Photos.jpg

Best use of the malibu table that I have seen.. mine sits in storage lol.

• Like 3

I wouldn't say the site is intimidating. Exceptionally helpful best describes it for me. The archive and a few questions I've asked kept my old square window on the water for 14 years. I've been reassured on some questions with my new to me Lxi. Amazing resource for Bu owners!

• Like 2

Since we are back on topic.... 😉

I've never found this site to be intimidating or anyone to be snarky or short.  You all have helped me a ton, and hopefully I've managed to give a good tip or two after 5 years and a couple boats!  

Even though every season has some repetition, I think we all know the search function is a bit weak and enjoy helping out where we can!

BTW, what's your opinion on how much gas should be in the tank when I winterize?  😂j/k

On 9/11/2018 at 7:40 PM, Bawshogg said:

Full.... less area for condensation as any fuel that has ethanol blend will attract moisture . Use stabil .

Glad we got that out of the way early this year.  On to oil and filter discussions!

As long as I steer clear of the funny pic or meme thread or whatever it is, I am fine.  Even college football arguments are no big deal.  And the discussions this year have remained on topic even there. 

20 hours ago, sunvalleylaw said:

As long as I steer clear of the funny pic or meme thread or whatever it is, I am fine.  Even college football arguments are no big deal.  And the discussions this year have remained on topic even there. 

Tame for now.... wait for late October or early November....

Even then, with the boats in for their long nap this is a tame place...

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, dlb said:

Tame for now.... wait for late October or early November....

Even then, with the boats in for their long nap this is a tame place...

I think this place actually reaches max snark around mid april as those from northern climes are being constantly taunted by the southern folks' warm weather flat water early season.

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

I think this place actually reaches max snark around mid april as those from northern climes are being constantly taunted by the southern folks' warm weather flat water early season.

I dunno, the southern folk seem to get pretty cranky in the late summer when their water temp is better for cooking noodles than a refreshing dip. 

16 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I dunno, the southern folk seem to get pretty cranky in the late summer when their water temp is better for cooking noodles than a refreshing dip. 

Water temps around here will sometimes get into the lower 80's.  But about 10 years ago, we had many >100 degree days.  Saw water temps in the mid 90's.  So warm, they had to shut down the nuclear power plant, because it's discharge water temp can't get above 95, and that's what the intake temp was.

Wakeboarding with 95 degree water, while up riding, you get a bunch of evaporative cooling.  When you go down, it feels like a lot more that 95, like you're in a witches cauldron.