Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gel coat dark spots

papasurf

Hello all,

I just picked my boat up from my dealer who keeps it and wraps it in UV protecting wrap while it sits up for the winter. I have done this twice now since buying the boat. Normally get it back with no issues. Not this time... This time I noticed a couple of dark spots in the color of the boat below the gunnel on the metal flake (Beautiful teal) gel coat. The dealer says they have seen this before and it is "Gel coat flaws". Has anyone ever heard of this? Seems like spending this kind of money on a boat would not come with Gel coat flaws 3 years and 240 hours down the road..or water..Out of no where too.

The texture of the Gelcoat does not change when rubbing hand across the discolored finish compared to the regular finish. This simple fact has me very confused as to what may or may not have discolored the finish.

Both of my G23s has small “ghosting” spots... and both times in the metal flake.  It happens when moisture gets caught in the different layers of the gel.

both times were fixed by heating and buffing.

By ghosting are you saying like a faded spot?  I have an odd spot on my transom that looks like that.  It's not oxidization.  But looks like a whitish spot.  Hard to explain. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, all. I will not be wrapping this thing for the winter anymore. Malibu stated the same thing as nyryan2001, they said plenty of sunlight will make them go away. It sucks! I would post a picture, but you would not be able to see it due to the size limitations.

Saxton,  It is not faded... it is darker then the rest of the metal flake. It looks bad on the trailer, but you can barely see it in the water thanks to the water always moving and reflecting.. I will reply to this post once it is resolved or gone. I am sure this is happening to many others who either A: leave their boat in the water (NOT me!) or B: when they have it UV wrapped for the winter months...