Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tips to keep the boat hull as clean as possible...

WhiteWaterWeb

The new Bu will be in the water all summer at the dock (using whips) until next year when I, likely, get a lift.

Can I get away with a couple of waxes a summer season to keep the new boat looking mint, or do I need something else? I am also a guy who will probably, 5 times a day, take a cloth to the hull with the boat in the water (when I am there).

Best boat cleaning tips. Go   :)

ahopkins22LSV

Can you pull the boat every few weeks to clean it? And it’s nice to let it sit out to help prevent blistering. Also, do you have flake at the water line? That seems to be more prone to issues when left on the water for long periods of time. 

Thankfully I can pull it out whenever we want (we have our own launch). No flake on the boat - progressive paint scheme but no flake.

cheers.

Ceramic coat it and pull it twice per month.  I'd also pull it anytime I wasn't going to use it for awhile like if you leave town or go on vacation.  How far do you live from the lake?

Sometimes I leave my boat in for a week or 10 days at a time and it gets pretty scummy in our lake. Then I need an acid wash and wax.   

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Slurpee said:

Look up gelcoat blistering. 

Even storing on a trailer can be blistered. My boat was used every weekend during summer and trailered and stored in garage during week. With bunks being wet every time boat sets on them they hardly had time ti dry before next weekend. Blisters form where setting on bunks.

Will never be seen because its either on bunks or under water. Never heard any others mention this here before though. Only reason I know is because I often give the hull a wipe down while floating in the lake.

1 hour ago, dalt1 said:

Even storing on a trailer can be blistered. My boat was used every weekend during summer and trailered and stored in garage during week. With bunks being wet every time boat sets on them they hardly had time ti dry before next weekend. Blisters form where setting on bunks.

Will never be seen because its either on bunks or under water. Never heard any others mention this here before though. Only reason I know is because I often give the hull a wipe down while floating in the lake.

Wow.that is crazy. I think this is a defect rather than the norm.

1 hour ago, dalt1 said:

Oh for sure. I had the same problem on a past boat. It was worse because I use a lift and it is in the water for much longer than a trailer and pretty much never dries out. I switched to Snaptraxx for this boat to avoid that. 

For the OP I was more concerned about blistering all over in more obvious areas. 

We essentially live on the lake in the summer (June to August) but in September we only use the boat on the weekends...from June to August though almost daily.

I will baby it as best I can (taking it in and out for washes/waxes) this year and do the lift next year.

Cheers.

2 hours ago, dalt1 said:

I didn't know this. Thanks for ruining my day.  I'm guessing if my 2004 was going to blister it would have done it already.  

• Like 2

I have a long handled car washing brush that I use for cleaning below the water line at least weekly.  I also lightly acid wash at seasons end.  My boat is in the lake for 5 months at a time, but my lake is very clean and the bottom is sandy, not mucky, which helps. I wax the whole boat before and after the season and above the waterline maybe once while in the water.  It's funny because you don't realize how much an acid washing helps till you do it.

Well we had a white hull SeaRay for the last 2 years, and with a wax at the beginning of the season, and end, with an acid wash just before storage we were golden. The lake is clean, weed free, etc. I am just hoping the charcoal hull (with moonbeam bow hull) handles just as well.

Thanks all.

If you are going to get a lift next year I would do whatever it takes to move it up to this year!  Its a role of the dice the damage that can happen in one year of water storage.  If it blisters you will spend as much as you would have on a lift to repair the boat.  As Woodski said look at other boats that spend A long time in the water on your lake. That still  has nothing to do with blistering.      

i

On 4/23/2018 at 10:43 AM, WhiteWaterWeb said:

Well we had a white hull SeaRay for the last 2 years, and with a wax at the beginning of the season, and end, with an acid wash just before storage we were golden. The lake is clean, weed free, etc. I am just hoping the charcoal hull (with moonbeam bow hull) handles just as well.

Thanks all.

This makes me feel a lot better. That would not be the case on my lake. 

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:41 AM, ahopkinsTXi said:

How much will you use it during the week? I’d probably just put it in Friday evening and pull it Sunday evening. Then a good wash and wipe down should be all you need. 

I vote this idea as well.  At least that is exactly what I would do if this was my boat/my scenario