Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fluid levels

I have a 2013 VLX & for the first time, I did my own fluid changes last year before putting it up for the winter.  I put the exact same amounts of crankcase, transmission & v-drive oil that I took out.  When I checked the levels today, they were all over the dipsticks on each.    I do know that I should be reading the levels with the dipstick for the trans/v-drive NOT screwed in & that I do NOT want to overfill the trans fluid because is can cause damage to the seals.  Did some searching, but I am still a little confused on exactly where the levels should be reading at on each dipstick when everything is cold???  Any help is greatly appreciated!

you should be golden if you put the same amounts in.  i believe you have to warm up the engine on the water hose for a few minutes to get an accurate reading.  The tranny will read high after sitting.     And if you didn't fill your oil filter that will read high as well until you start it up.

https://indmar.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/2012-2014-GM-Based-Models.pdf1

Establish that the trans oil is ar the proper warm level then let the engine set overnight. Pull the dipstick and mark a "full cold" level on the dipstick. From then on, you can check the level when the trans is cold.

Where do I exactly want to be at on the dipsticks with a warm engine?....anywhere between High & Low marks or closer to the low mark?  Sorry, just want to make sure I don't overfill.

2 hours ago, 7lazy77 said:

Where do I exactly want to be at on the dipsticks with a warm engine?....anywhere between High & Low marks or closer to the low mark?  Sorry, just want to make sure I don't overfill.

At the high mark.

• Like 1

It should be warm and I believe it says to cycle between fwd and reverse several times before checking it. I always thought this would be tough since most people do maintenance on a trailer. 

Think of it this way, you put all the new oil on the main dipstick and you probability need to get it spread throughout the unit(s).