Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 23 LSV Ballast Upgrade

TNWake

1 hour ago, cWonka said:

Step by step Hard Tank Removal:

Total time: 30 minutes

Prep: Remove front and rear engine divider panels and rear carpeted seat guard

1. Remove 8 screws from floor mounts

2. Remove fill and vent hose connections from tank

3. Remove fittings from tanks.

4. Remove hose from drain pump

5. Remove drain pump from tank

6. Roll tank on its back with and remove by pulling out through the main cabin of the boat.

Nice write up. When you go to put bags in, make sure you have extra drain hose to relocate drain pump at the stern of the boat. It sits lower when on plane and helps to drain more water. 

59 minutes ago, blk93jeepzj said:

Nice write up. When you go to put bags in, make sure you have extra drain hose to relocate drain pump at the stern of the boat. It sits lower when on plane and helps to drain more water. 

Did you move the whole pump or just run extra hose from the stern back around to the pump at it’s current location? The latter was my plan as to not have to rewrire the pumps or make them more difficult to reach in the event of a clog or winterization.

19 hours ago, cWonka said:

Did you move the whole pump or just run extra hose from the stern back around to the pump at it’s current location? The latter was my plan as to not have to rewrire the pumps or make them more difficult to reach in the event of a clog or winterization.

I moved the whole pump.  Not sure there would be enough pressure to push much water to the bow side of the bag when it's almost empty.   I'll get you a picture, but I put my pumps in a PVC housing to prevent crushing them and making it easier on the pumps.

On 7/6/2018 at 7:40 AM, blk93jeepzj said:

I moved the whole pump.  Not sure there would be enough pressure to push much water to the bow side of the bag when it's almost empty.   I'll get you a picture, but I put my pumps in a PVC housing to prevent crushing them and making it easier on the pumps.

Picture would be great. I got the bags put in yesterday but I was waiting to test them out before I write up anything to go along with the pictures I took.

On 7/7/2018 at 8:44 AM, cWonka said:

Picture would be great. I got the bags put in yesterday but I was waiting to test them out before I write up anything to go along with the pictures I took.

Good write ups and pics man. I can't wait to see what they look like in there and filled. 

• 1 year later...

I have a 2004 sunscape 23 lsv that does not have the mls system installed. No ballast setup. Can I add ballast bags and if so where should I start? Location and size. Looking to wake surf and wake board. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2020 at 3:00 PM, Melasi said:

I have a 2004 sunscape 23 lsv that does not have the mls system installed. No ballast setup. Can I add ballast bags and if so where should I start? Location and size. Looking to wake surf and wake board. Thanks

I am in the same situation as you.  I am going to put bags in the rears, center bag where MLS would be and lead up front.  Working on the build.

• 8 months later...

I am doing major overhaul on the boat. Ripped up all carpet ( found out after that the boat will need a layer of gel coat ) before we put down dekit. We are changing color of all upholstery. Adding perfect pass and upgrading sound system. Gonna be around 12k for all work.

holding off on ballast bags and wake assist for now. My rear compartment says it can only hold 80 lbs. need to contact Malibu and see if I can put bags back there

Edited by Melasi
19 hours ago, Melasi said:

I am doing major overhaul on the boat. Ripped up all carpet ( found out after that the boat will need a layer of gel coat ) before we put down dekit. We are changing color of all upholstery. Adding perfect pass and upgrading sound system. Gonna be around 12k for all work.

holding off on ballast bags and wake assist for now. My rear compartment says it can only hold 80 lbs. need to contact Malibu and see if I can put bags back there

all our boat say only 80 pounds, but we all stuff as big a bag as we can fit back there.  Wakemakers sells a kit to reinforce the sidewall between the engine and the side storage.  This is the weak point.  I have 850 sacks in my LSV without any modifications or problems.  

Thanks for the information on the ballast bags. I am going to have that added to the list then. Probably will do 2 in back and 1 down the centerline compartment 

• 2 months later...

Can someone point me in the right direction on how to remove this pump on the hard tank?  Pretty sure it’s the original. 

06920732-ED53-4BB3-B69F-0E194E85AD3F.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Gbarnesnavy said:

Can someone point me in the right direction on how to remove this pump on the hard tank?  Pretty sure it’s the original. 

06920732-ED53-4BB3-B69F-0E194E85AD3F.jpeg

Never mind. Got it.  Remove drain hose and just untwist