Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Diacom

Anyone pulled the trigger on Diacom?  If so, what made you decide to pull the trigger on it?  Also, which adapter is needed (I've got the 575)?  WIll the standard kit work or do you need the CAN kit?  Where's the cheapest/best place to pick one up?

Edited by Kblagg

Yes, I've got it.  A repeated cylinder mifire alarm got me to buy. My 2012 requires the can, so i bought the kit with the 3 adapters. Bought it straight from rinda, didn't find any better deals. 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Yes, I've got it.  A repeated cylinder mifire alarm got me to buy. My 2012 requires the can, so i bought the kit with the 3 adapters. Bought it straight from rinda, didn't find any better deals. 

What did it end up leading you to?  In other words, what did you identify as the cause?  

1 minute ago, Kblagg said:

What did it end up leading you to?  In other words, what did you identify as the cause?  

Seemed to be a cam angle issue - timing.  But still not 100% sure it is gone only crops up over 40mph and very intermittently.  I keep a mini laptop on board with the cable and software so that i can kill the alarm and log data. 

I got it also from Rinda, same as @oldjeep.. had a code that kept appearing... Boat went into limp mode first time and so took to dealer 4 hours away.  They changed plugs wires rotor and cap and “tapped” on fuel pressure regulator and said it was fixed.  Took the boat out the next weekend and it did the same thing. Called the dealer and the said it needed a new regulator. Installed new regulator, fuel pump with its new in tank built in fuel filter and the inline filter and it threw the code again.  Installed all new fuel injectors.  Each time I had to clear code to see if problem was fixed.  Dealers, at least some, don’t know any more about these engines and electronics  than the average Joe or they are so backed up that they just throw parts at it, so you sometimes have to take matters in your own hands and get the tools to do it. If anybody throws parts at my boat it will be me, without the labor cost and the outrageous markup of the dealers. If you are handy and can use the internet to retrieve and analyze information, you can figure out most if not all the issues that go on with these boats, but you have to have the tools and Rinda technologies supplies the engine diagnostic diacom software.  

21 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

It’s REALLY handy. I love having it.

Outside of clearing/troubleshooting codes, what do you use it for?  Did you get the standard or the deluxe kit?

1 minute ago, Kblagg said:

Outside of clearing/troubleshooting codes, what do you use it for?  Did you get the standard or the deluxe kit?

Only reason for buying the deluxe kit would be if you are running a shop and need a bunch of outboard motor adapters. The CAN kit should serve any Malibu owner well.  The standard kjt isn't going to do you any good with a 2016.

Take a moment and look through the spec sheet http://www.rinda.com/acro/prodlist.pdf

then decide what you need

19 hours ago, cowwboy said:

If you have a mefi 3 or 4 you might look at this.

http://fox-marine.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=56

Or if you have the newer j1939 buss coms, scan gauge now makes a reader for j1939

https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-d/

Both don't do as much as the diacom but can do what most of us need. 

There is a writeup (that I helped with) on WakeGarage.com that does in to details on the use of the ScanGaugeD using it for fuel flow and (very accurate) fuel tank readings. Check it out here:
https://www.wakegarage.com/projects-archive/miscellaneous-projects/accurate-fuel-flow-gauge-r110

The scangauge will give you error codes, but not detailed diagnostic data. For the price and minimal effort on a boat with an OBD-M plug it's well worth it to get fuel flow, accurate fuel capacity, and diag codes. If you need super-detailed info then the diacom software is the way to go.

37 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Only reason for buying the deluxe kit would be if you are running a shop and need a bunch of outboard motor adapters. The CAN kit should serve any Malibu owner well.  The standard kjt isn't going to do you any good with a 2016.

Take a moment and look through the spec sheet http://www.rinda.com/acro/prodlist.pdf

then decide what you need

Sorry, meant CAN kit not the deluxe.  That's what happens when you try to multitask during a conference call.  

3 hours ago, Kblagg said:

I think standard? really just troubleshooting

I'm still under warranty, but wondering if it would be helpful in fixing my own issues.  I just don't want to lose several days/weeks waiting for a dealer to get around to it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:32 PM, oldjeep said:

Seemed to be a cam angle issue - timing.  But still not 100% sure it is gone only crops up over 40mph and very intermittently.  I keep a mini laptop on board with the cable and software so that i can kill the alarm and log data. 

OJ, I have what sounds like the same same issue (and purchased the diacom for the same reason).  I got multiple misfires (mostly on 2 cylinders) when backing off after a couple minutes at WOT last fall.  My cam angle was off by a few degrees.  I haven't gotten out yet this season, but you and I should stay in touch on this issue.

I didn't know I can get Diacom for that price!  Does anyone know what adapter I would need for the 08 340 Monsoon? 

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:54 PM, hawaiianstyln said:

I didn't know I can get Diacom for that price!  Does anyone know what adapter I would need for the 08 340 Monsoon? 

You'll need the CAN adapter (http://www.rinda.com/acro/DiacomMarine.pdf).  Easiest way to get that is with the CAN kit, which includes the software, USB cable, and adapter - part # 94030, price $699.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

bumping up

about to pull the trigger and buy DIACOM and CAN kit this winter (can't wait).  Pretty easy to read the reports from DIACOM?  I see on their site they have some good tutorials.  I like the idea of @oldjeep keeping a small laptop onboard just in case.  Buying this is very worth it as I like to try and do my own work and learn more about my engine.  Attended some indmar training in 03 when I was the Hawaii Oahu rep for the Kauai Malibu dealer, but never got any training on DIACOM.

Edited by hawaiianstyln