Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 stereo questions

Brett B

I just took delivery of my 2018 22VLX. I ordered the "Wake VLX pack" with the 8 interior speakers, the 12" sub, and the Sport Dash. 

I had planned to just plug my iPhone directly into the USB port located right under the sport knob, but the stereo does not recognize this as a USB input. Did Malibu really put this USB plug there for charging only or is there something wrong with my wiring? If this is how Malibu intended it, then is it straightforward to rewire this USB as a sound input? The USB plug in the glove box worked fine as a USB input for music. 

Also the sound quality with Bluetooth is pretty poor, is there a better way to use a wireless connection?

2 hours ago, Brett B said:

Also the sound quality with Bluetooth is pretty poor,

One thing I have seen is the phone's EQ setting can absolutely kill the sound quality through the 3.5 and the BT. Makes the earbuds sound great but sounds like crap on a fill size full range system. So turn the EQ off or flat. Zero everything out. 

It's an iPhone so I don't know that I have ever seen an EQ. Yes, phone volume was all the way up. I guess it was tolerable for Bluetooth but it was noticeably worse than wired with the USB which leads to my second question. Is the USB port under the sport know supposed to work as an input source?

Mine does not, but the one in the glove box does. Is this normal?

1 hour ago, Brett B said:

It's an iPhone so I don't know that I have ever seen an EQ. Yes, phone volume was all the way up. I guess it was tolerable for Bluetooth but it was noticeably worse than wired with the USB which leads to my second question. Is the USB port under the sport know supposed to work as an input source?

Mine does not, but the one in the glove box does. Is this normal?

The USB under knob is only for charging. Or at least is that way on my 2017. Sucks for sure. But one of the ones  in the glove box does play through radio I believe.

Also have a 2017 like Spikew919 and yup, that USB is for charging only. Stupid design. So, if I need access to my iPhone, I use Bluetooth. If not, plug it in the glovebox USB port. 

I’ve been told the USB under the sport knob is for system updates only.  Dealer and Malibu both told me never to plug into this for phone charging as it could cause weird electrical issues while plugged in. 

11 minutes ago, SCMike said:

I’ve been told the USB under the sport knob is for system updates only.  Dealer and Malibu both told me never to plug into this for phone charging as it could cause weird electrical issues while plugged in. 

Then why make it the most accessible USB port in the boat? Makes them sound "more stupider". :lol: 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, SCMike said:

That’s crap. It’s right under the PHONE HOLDER. I’ve used it exclusively for charging my phone and never an issue. 

40 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

That’s crap. It’s right under the PHONE HOLDER. I’ve used it exclusively for charging my phone and never an issue. 

I have too, on my last 3 boats.

I haven't looked at that USB feed on my '18 but...there are two USB plugs from the black box, It MAY be possible to move the glove box USB plug to the location under the phone holder. :whistle:

I didn’t look that close at Ronnie’s boat last time I was in that compartment, but the two USB plugs on my 16 black box are for the glove box USB connection and the glove box SD card connection.

I’ve never had a problem with my iPhone charging off that sport dash port. 

Ive traced out that wire though for the sport dash usb. It’s goes right to the computer. You could get a really long usb cable and with a little disassembly and solder skills reroute that connection to the black box and hook it up in place of the connection in the glove box.  

I wonder about crippling the update the ability, but has ANYONE here had an update via USB? I’ve only ever noticed new FW code builds on the SD card that plugs into the computer. 

Are we sure that USB under the phone is for updating. If it is, it could be used but relocated easy enough. There are USB plugs all over the boat now.

I'll check it out tomorrow when I have a little more light.

2 hours ago, pauley71 said:

I’ve used it to, until Malibu and the dealer said not to.  I was having some weird electrical gremlins the first few hours I got my boat, and  this was one of the things they called out as possible causes.  I don’t know if it’s true or not, as I can’t pinpojnt if this fixed my issues or not.  Dealer did a few things when I brought it in for my 10 hour service, and all was well after that.   I agree 100%, it’s a stupid place to put this port of you are not supposed to use it.  

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Are we sure that USB under the phone is for updating. If it is, it could be used but relocated easy enough. There are USB plugs all over the boat now.

I'll check it out tomorrow when I have a little more light.

I was told this by Dan Moorman (Technical & Warranty Advisor West Coast region) of Malibu.                                                                        My dealer confirmed.  

It would be great to use this port for audio and charging, but it’s not a huge issue for me, as I just use the glove box for charging. 

Ok thanks guys. So Malibu really did intentionally put a USB port right under the phone holder that couldn't be used for the stereo audio input. Wow, talk about a silly decision. I thought that was the entire reason they put that there and was looking forward to using it. Yes I will be looking at some rewiring options.

On 4/16/2018 at 8:54 AM, Brett B said:

Ok thanks guys. So Malibu really did intentionally put a USB port right under the phone holder that couldn't be used for the stereo audio input. Wow, talk about a silly decision. I thought that was the entire reason they put that there and was looking forward to using it. Yes I will be looking at some rewiring options.

Totally agree... dumb design. And it’s not like it’s new. It’s been that way since 2015 boats. I keep thinking it will be one of those small refinements they roll out. Nope. 

On 4/15/2018 at 7:14 PM, SCMike said:

Correct. the wire on the back of that plug runs directly to the viper computer. They say its a very low amperage, thats why you cant charge with it. It will charge quite a few phones but some of the bigger one that require more juice it cant. My Note 8 is like this. I can leave it plugged in all day and all it will do is maintain whatever the battery level was when plugged in. And if streaming or if the screen is left on it has trouble even maintaining.

Edited by COOP
4 hours ago, IXFE said:

Totally agree... dumb design. And it’s not like it’s new. It’s been that way since 2015 boats. I keep thinking it will be one of those small refinements they roll out. Nope. 

yeah, especially since it seems to cause issues for some.  Seems like an easy and quick win for Malibu.  Not sure why it has not happened yet.  It also makes me nervous about relocating this port and installing a audio / real charing port, as i'm sure the dealership will  get confused when it comes time to update the system.  Im holding out for a fast charging wireless charger like the one @D_Turner has come up with.  I'll keep holding my breath.  haha! 

So does anybody have tips on how to rewire/relocate the USB port? I can't believe nobody has done it yet.

I haven't looked at it that closely yet, but instead of dissecting the OEM USB update cable, I'll probably just remove that USB plug from the sport knob area altogether and tie it under the dash.

I would replace it with something like this assuming it fits into the same cutout, and then run a long USB chord over to the black box USB input that the glovebox port is using.

https://www.amazon.com/Female-Flush-Extension-Motorcycle-Dashboard/dp/B01NAMU8KY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1524060682&sr=8-7&keywords=marine+usb+port

Thoughts?

I haven't had a chance to walk out to my dock and check my system yet but...

My boat was a December 2017 build, my Black Box has 2 USB plugs. Both of my USB plugs are connected. I needed an 3.5mm Audio Out so I had to add that to my system.

We worked on G-Unit's 23 yesterday which is a March 2018 build, his Black Box had 1 USB plug. The one plug is connected. I expect his goes to the Glove Box for audio input.

I did a little bit of digging tonight and this should be a pretty straightforward fix without any soldering or replacement dash plugs needed.

The cable from the USB port on the dash plugs into a USB port on the VCM box under the dash (I'm calling it Vehicle Control Module for lack of a better term). It's pretty simple to just unplug it from the VCM and then run a USB extension cable over to the stereo black box on the amp board without having to mess with the port on the dash. The USB cable from the glovebox plugs into a USB pigtail coming out of the stereo black box. So with about a 10' USB extension chord I should be able to route the dash USB cable to the black box stereo USB input. I'll then plug a separate short USB chord into the VCM and fasten it under the dash for any needed flash updates. 

I didn't have a USB chord long enough to reach but I'll try it out this weekend to make sure it works as planned. Not sure why Malibu didn't configure it this way from the factory. 

ahopkins22LSV

@Brett B hopefully it works that well for you. Would be a nice add for when our boat comes in!

Will you be running the new cord up and around the bow? Or snaking it under the floor? I feel like up around the bow would probably be easier, but you would need a longer cord.

3 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

@Brett B hopefully it works that well for you. Would be a nice add for when our boat comes in!

Will you be running the new cord up and around the bow? Or snaking it under the floor? I feel like up around the bow would probably be easier, but you would need a longer cord.

Passing cables from under helm to amp rack will be easy in your boat, Hop. I don’t think it’s so easy in the new two-piece boat, but I haven’t looked closely at mine yet. 

You don’t even need to go up and around the entire bow (although that’s easy too). Just remove the carpet kick plate at the end of the walk through and you’ll see your bow ballast pump. Cables can pass through there super easy. 

Pic 1 - bow tank exposed after removing seat cushions and carpet support panel. Just remove the carpet kick plate (two screws)

Pic 2 - under helm area (sub removed). See the red wires passing through that hole up front?

Pic 3 - here you see where cables can pass from bow into ob compartment. 

825C083A-5B9B-4A3A-8916-C3D6BEBB4516.jpeg

CF55AF63-12A4-4292-BC82-BE27DDCBB238.jpeg

AF148645-7749-4535-B3B6-CDC043E0E3C5.jpeg

• Like 2