Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 22 MXZ - What does it need for weight?

TylerH427

I just picked up a 22MXZ and i'm hoping to get some input from the crew on what kind of ballast the boat likes for a surf wave...  it's all stock now with dealer installed PnP.   

I'll do whatever I need to for the best wave - but i'm hoping with the 18 MXZ i can get away from the bow bag that the 15-17 LSV's require??  Do I still need to get some lead coming for the bow??  

Edited by TylerH427

You should be able to get a really good wave out of that setup with just all stock full and PNP. Play with speed and wedge settings a bit to see what you like, with speed in the 10.6-11.2 range and a couple clicks of wedge.

The MXZ redesign in '17 has made that line become really good surf boats with minimal extra PNP ballast.

I'm curious to this as well. I just picked up my 2018 mxz and it has hard ballast rear's. does the center and front have hard ballast also? how much weight do they hold? 

Do yourself a solid and read your manual , it will have that I think and much more

i learned to always always tilt my cushions after each usage from the manual 

in any case the tanks will be good enough with wedge for vast majority of riders

surfing, NOT ENOUGH, no matter what anybody sais that stock is good enough!!

I did and the owners manuel says 1250-1450 total depending on boat. Therefore doesn't answer how much each tank holds it just gives the total weight. MY stock PNP 750lbs on my 2012 axis wasn't enough for me to surf with 4 people in the boat needed about an extra 150-200lbs in the rear to create a big enough wave for me. This is why I am curious...

46 minutes ago, Dpep05 said:

I did and the owners manuel says 1250-1450 total depending on boat. Therefore doesn't answer how much each tank holds it just gives the total weight. MY stock PNP 750lbs on my 2012 axis wasn't enough for me to surf with 4 people in the boat needed about an extra 150-200lbs in the rear to create a big enough wave for me. This is why I am curious...

Not sure on the total stock weight by tank off the top of my head but you're going to want 450-500 PNPs in the rear lockers on that boat for a good wave.

38 minutes ago, NWBU said:

Not sure on the total stock weight by tank off the top of my head but you're going to want 450-500 PNPs in the rear lockers on that boat for a good wave.

Thank you. 

• 1 month later...

I tried it this weekend with full stock ballast, and rear PnP and the wave was good.  I also tried with 250 lbs of steel wake ballast in the bow compartment and it helped to clean things up and lengthen the wave a bit.  I rarely have anyone sitting in the bow, so I find myself leaving a little ballast in the factory front tank for general running around to avoid porpoising anyway.  I plan to just leave the steel ballast up there all the time. 

Edited by TylerH427
spelling
  • 2 weeks later...

What RPM's were you running with this set up?  Where did you purchase the Steel Ballast?

We have been running full stock w/ Rear PNP (450's), no wedge @ 10.9-11.1. 

RPM's seem to hover around 3800 or so,  but I didn't find the steel ballast in the bow to have any impact on it.  It would be nice to get them down some. 

I purchased the ballast from wake outfitters.  Nice guys - it was in stock and they got it out the same day so i could have it by the weekend. 

• 1 year later...

Our 2018 MXZ 22 has Raptor 6.2 L 410 HP engine with the larger Torque Prop.  We went with small engine to save money and get more features with our budget!  We have never had an issue in regards to power even when we are pulling 5 tubers.  For Surfing we fully load the ballast 100% including the PNP all the way around. The Power Wedge setup on "Ramp" or "2".  We set the Cruise at 11.2 always..the kids & adults like the push from the wave at that speed.  Sometimes the we get up to 10 kids/adults on the weekends which only makes the wake that much bigger, but for the most part we have between 3-4 kids/adults on average.  The only boat that has a larger wake on our lake is M235 and G23, but we are pretty close.  Hope it helps...took us about month to get to those settings.

• 4 weeks later...

Second summer with my 2017 22 MXZ with the 410.  Just getting it really dialed in.  Wish I had a bigger engine as I run out of power in a headwind, and frequently have to run at over 4k RPM. 

I run 1300 pounds of pnp in the back, with 200 pounds of lead shot bags in the front. Wedge runs 2 to 3 clicks. Our typical surf speed varies between 11.1 and 12 mph. Typically 11.5 to 11.7. 

Last weekend, I put about 300 pounds worth of passengers in the nose, and only myself and a 60 pound kid in the cockpit. The wave was better, the RPM dropped to under 3500. 

The best wave I ever had was no PNP, 14 people in the boat, and full wedge at 11.4 mph. 

I'll be putting another 300 to 500 pounds in the nose soon. 

Edited by bigskydoc
  • 2 months later...
On 4/16/2018 at 8:08 AM, Dpep05 said:

I'm curious to this as well. I just picked up my 2018 mxz and it has hard ballast rear's. does the center and front have hard ballast also? how much weight do they hold? 

Not sure if you ever found this out but I just picked up a 17 22mxz and got in touch with malibu. The hard tank ballast is just under 1800lbs. Rear tanks are 400 each, mid ship is 565 and the bow tank is 430. He told me the amount of gallons each tank holds and I did the math.

Edited by st22eve
  • 1 month later...
On 9/14/2019 at 7:28 AM, st22eve said:

Not sure if you ever found this out but I just picked up a 17 22mxz and got in touch with malibu. The hard tank ballast is just under 1800lbs. Rear tanks are 400 each, mid ship is 565 and the bow tank is 430. He told me the amount of gallons each tank holds and I did the math.

Do you know what is meant where it says for the 22 MXZ:  "Max factory ballast 4440lbs"?  I'm guessing that number also includes 1500lbs of wedge and about 1150lbs of PNP bags in the aft lockers but I wouldn't think PNP bags would be considered factory ballast.

8 hours ago, Wavemaker said:

Do you know what is meant where it says for the 22 MXZ:  "Max factory ballast 4440lbs"?  I'm guessing that number also includes 1500lbs of wedge and about 1150lbs of PNP bags in the aft lockers but I wouldn't think PNP bags would be considered factory ballast.

Malibu includes wedge and P&P bags when they talk about potential ballast.