Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 RAM 1500

bamabonners

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

I'm curious to see what they do with pricing.  They have been blowing out the 2018s

The '18 Ram (and to be fair, the Toyota Tundra to an extent in different ways) are very dated by modern full size truck standards.  An '09 and a '18 aren't that much different.  GM went all new in '14 yet are going for a full redesign in '19.  Ford was all new in '15.  Nissan replaced the dated Titan in '16 with an all new model.  It's not a shocker that they have to give it away, especially since the used ones sell the cheapest of all of the competition (except for certain comparably equipped Titans).

When people talk about re-designs and "all-new", what are you really getting that's all new? I haven't really seen anything in newer trucks beyond some gizmo-bells that would make me want to run out and get the latest and greatest. The capabilities really haven't changed, power trains have modest changes (some not for the better). So serious question (seriously, I'm not trying to be d*** Tracey here), what in the newer trucks makes you want to run out and get the newest version?

1 hour ago, Falko said:

When people talk about re-designs and "all-new", what are you really getting that's all new? I haven't really seen anything in newer trucks beyond some gizmo-bells that would make me want to run out and get the latest and greatest. The capabilities really haven't changed, power trains have modest changes (some not for the better). So serious question (seriously, I'm not trying to be d*** Tracey here), what in the newer trucks makes you want to run out and get the newest version?

In the case of the 2019 ram the main difference it is appearance, the massive iPad looking screen and the availability of the Hybrid version of the Hemi.  Also seems to have different axles (or at least hubs) as they are now 6 lug.  I thought it was a nice looking truck but it didn't offer enough to be worth the massive price difference between buying an 18 and 19.  Not to mention they had an 18 that had almost every single option I was looking for - which was an odd truck to have in stock.

9 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

The '18 Ram (and to be fair, the Toyota Tundra to an extent in different ways) are very dated by modern full size truck standards.  An '09 and a '18 aren't that much different.  GM went all new in '14 yet are going for a full redesign in '19.  Ford was all new in '15.  Nissan replaced the dated Titan in '16 with an all new model.  It's not a shocker that they have to give it away, especially since the used ones sell the cheapest of all of the competition (except for certain comparably equipped Titans).

I'd agree, the 09 - 18 hasn't changed a tremendous amount - I own/owned both.  They upgraded to an 8 speed trans and put a lot of additional features into the newer ones, but under the covers it is pretty much the same truck as the 09 that I just sold.  That isn't really a bad thing, the Ram already had the nicest interior in 09 and hadn't been caught up to (imo) yet in 2018.  The Hemi package really didn't need any improvements, the competition has caught up since 09 in terms of HP/TQ but there hasn't been any reason to mess with what is a really reliable engine.

Edited by oldjeep
2 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I haven’t been with the company for 6 months now but when I was on the new Ram program it was always planned to keep the old ram in production for a year or two. 

Interesting - for US markets, or selling elsewhere?   

ahopkins22LSV
6 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Interesting - for US markets, or selling elsewhere?   

I believe US markets. Not 100% sure though. We supplied the DS (old Ram) and DT (new Ram) so we were preparing to be able to support volumes for both programs. 

2 hours ago, Falko said:

We now have diesel offerings in all 3 of the big 3, introduction of a mild hybrid system, available locking diffs across the board,  lane keep assist and trailer blind spot monitoring, tow capacities now well over 12,000 #s for Ram and Ford.  Those are pretty major advances in capabilities.  Aside from that, the "gizmos" are making these legitimate luxury vehicles (for those that want/need that).  If anyone is happy with their work truck, no, new trucks don't haul lumber any better, but there has been massive advancements in capability.  

Aluminum body's,  new transmissions, All new large SUV from Ford. Start stop (even if you don't like it!)  It is selectable in Ford.  The new 10 speed tran's in Ford and GM are for the most part the same running on each his own programing.  With all the other things brought up in the other posts you are seeing A lot of changes.  But if you have not been in the inside you would never know the cost to the auto makers to make even a small change in a vehicle. Not in the engineering alone but just mounting say the new trans all the vehicles will face emissions, crash safety rectification and more. 

My beloved first truck was a 1976 Silverado single bench seat, 350 with a rochester 4 barrel, modified by flipping the air filter cover over.   Compared to the new trucks it had all the power and class of an AMC Hornet.  

• Like 1