Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 RAM 1500

bamabonners

On 4/13/2018 at 3:20 PM, bamabonners said:

Another video... from March with a little more info.

https://youtu.be/527-0rD9QGg

We were on a spring break trip in March, stayed at the Boulders resort just outside Scottsdale.  The Ram leadership, top two truck dealers from each of the 18 regions, and the press were staying at the resort for the 2019 reveal.   It was cool to see all the new trucks lined up each morning before they headed out to get after it in the desert.  Very, very nice looking rides.  After having quite a few rental Ram's for the week, I'd absolutely consider one when it comes time to replace my Tundra.  

ahopkins22LSV

Lol no offense taken but I still find it comical that you all trust each other who have no experience to say “that’s just how it is”. I suppose that we should tell @DAI‘s coworker that his experience, which he said was the same as mine, is just nothing too. And that’s just how it is. 

20 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Chevy ssr and ford thunderbird, cadillac elr? 

OJ, try to keep up.  We’re talking about cars cancelled in mainstream segments within the past decade (ie since reorganization)  

Chevrolet SSR: specialty vehicle built on common Chevrolet/GMC/Oldsmobile platform cancelled in 2006

Ford Thunderbird: specialty vehicle built on common Ford/Lincoln platform, cancelled in 2005

Cadillac ELR: Hybrid vehicle built on shared platform with Volt (still being built). The ELR was nothing more than a high trim level of the  Volt  

Edited by IXFE
3 minutes ago, IXFE said:

OJ, try to keep up.  We’re talking about cars cancelled in mainstream segments within the past decade (ie since reorganization)  

Chevrolet SSR: specialty vehicle built on common Chevrolet/GMC/Oldsmobile platform cancelled in 2006

Ford Thunderbird: specialty vehicle built on common Ford/Lincoln platform, cancelled in 2005

Cadillac ELR: Hybrid vehicle built on shared platform with Volt (still being built)

Ok, fine😀  although i have a hard time believing the 200 was an all new platform.  The 2012 200 my son has seems to be about 90% the same as a chrysler Sebring that my wife used to have. 

16 minutes ago, RyanB said:

I really don't get why people are pushing back so hard on the Dart/200 plant.  I am almost certain that the reason that Chrysler went forward with those cars was because it was a requirement of them leaving bankruptcy.  

But, for arguments sake, lets say it wasn't.  The cars didn't succeed.  So, what is your argument?  That FCA should double down, and try again?  Or should they focus on what they are good at, what is selling, and what is a much higher profit margin, and build trucks?  What would you do if it were your money?

And as far as first hand experience in a company, at the risk of @ahopkinsTXi taking personal offense, I am not sure that a disgruntled former employee, posting anonymously on an online forum, is the best, most unbiased source of info.  Maybe he is, but I am willing to say that might not be the case.  I know if you ask me about my last employer, I would be biased in my assessment.  Nothing personal.

You’re forgetting something... CAFE

As for Hop, I don’t think he was ever an employee of FCA. Which makes his view even more valid, imho  

Who in this thread is a better authority on the subject?  You?  A bunch of Ram fanboys?

2 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Ok, fine😀  although i have a hard time believing the 200 was an all new platform.  The 2012 200 my son has seems to be about 90% the same as a chrysler Sebring that my wife used to have. 

You might be right. I’m not arguing this point passionately. Just like taking cars. 

Whats your new Ram gonna be like?  What features you like best?  Diesel?  Ram box?

Just now, IXFE said:

You might be right. I’m not arguing this point passionately. Just like taking cars. 

Whats your new Ram gonna be like?  What features you like best?  Diesel?  Ram box?

6ft 4 box crewcab with a hemi and tow mirrors.  And a bench front seat if you can still get it. 

2 hours ago, IXFE said:

Hey @bamabonners

I was thinking... about those two failed cars. We’re talking about the Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200... built to compete with Cruz/Malibu, Focus/Fusion, Corola/Camry, Civic/Accord, etc. How’d that work out?  These are not obscure segments either.  This is bread and butter stuff.

Yes they have all cancelled cars but the Dart and 200 were BRAND new cars that flopped after years of R&D, setup, all new tooling and factories. Gone within four years... 

Within the last decade... name a Ford or GM car that has been a ground up design, launched and subsequently scrapped within the first four years of production. 

That’s a tough segment.... lots of old staples to break into there.  They tried and failed... it happens.

Lets look at the full size segment....  Once the stomping ground for the Ford Taurus and the Impala... now being led by the Charger. 

Look at these numbers from end of 2017:

http://fordauthority.com/2017/11/ford-taurus-sales-numbers-figures-results-october-2017/

“The only segment competitors that the Taurus outsold during the month have either been discontinued or are in the process of being discontinued, including the Kia Cadenza , Hyundai Azera, Chevrolet SS and Volkswagen CC.”

You said, “As for FCA, just because you’ve owned two doesn’t mean they’re “doing great” as a business. Do you have knowledge of their inner workings? Do you study their financial statements? I think @ahopkinsTXi is in a unique position to judge the disfunction of the Big 3 having worked closely with all three in a similar setting (design, development, manufacturing, quality, etc).  He’s the only guy in this thread who’s not just a consumer. He’s says FCA is worse.  He’s an insider. I’m going with the insider. The fact that you like your Ram is interesting but not particularly relevant to his claims.”

No, I don’t have inner knowledge.  Don’t really care.  I simply gave my opinion that they are doing good things that have my attention as a consumer only.  The fact that I like things about the ram versus other trucks is 100% relevant to my opinion as a consumer.  

I'll be honest I'd never thought I'd buy a Ram or Dodge in my lifetime.  I've always considered them garbage.  But recently with the SRT line up (esp the SRT Durango), Hellcat and the new 2019 Ram 1500 they really has me thinking about it.  My biggest hold up is quality, longevity and confidence they stand behind there product with a strong dealer network.  Unfortunately, I personally don't think they are there yet but man having a tow rig that runs a 4.4 0-60, 12.9 1/4 mile, great exhaust note and aggressive look/stance keeps me intrigued for sure.  

2 hours ago, IXFE said:

You’re forgetting something... CAFE

As for Hop, I don’t think he was ever an employee of FCA. Which makes his view even more valid, imho  

Who in this thread is a better authority on the subject?  You?  A bunch of Ram fanboys?

I'm not forgetting anything.  I am very familiar with CAFE.  It was more important when FCA decided to invest in small cars than it is now, or will be for at least the next 3 years.

I'll ask my question again since you responded to me, but didn't answer it the first time.  What should they have done?  Continued to put money into a product that doesn't sell well for them (and is significantly smaller than the truck market)?  Or invest where they will have a better ROI?

I was under the impression that HOP did work for FCA.  If not, where does the insider information come from?

Who is a better authority?  Probably somewhere in-between a disgruntled employee/vendor and a fan boy.

And to tell you where I sit before I continue to say where I stand, I do have and really like my RAM truck.  But for daily driving, it is my 3rd choice.  Behind a car from Japan and a car from Germany.

15 minutes ago, bamabonners said:

No, I don’t have inner knowledge.  Don’t really care.  I simply gave my opinion that they are doing good things that have my attention as a consumer only.  The fact that I like things about the ram versus other trucks is 100% relevant to my opinion as a consumer.  

All this cuz you didn’t understand a joke...

I’ll say it again cuz apparently you can’t read and/or don’t understand context. The conversation started by Hop wasn’t about what cars you like, your impression of the brand as a consumer, or your favorite color. It was about how well FCA is run INTERNALLY as a business.  You say you “don’t care” about that.  So why did you decide to stick your nose into a convo you don’t care about? 

I’m glad you like your Ram. I’m gonna sleep well tonight knowing that. 

26 minutes ago, RyanB said:

I'm not forgetting anything.  I am very familiar with CAFE.  It was more important when FCA decided to invest in small cars than it is now, or will be for at least the next 3 years.

I'll ask my question again since you responded to me, but didn't answer it the first time.  What should they have done?  Continued to put money into a product that doesn't sell well for them (and is significantly smaller than the truck market)?  Or invest where they will have a better ROI?

I was under the impression that HOP did work for FCA.  If not, where does the insider information come from?

Who is a better authority?  Probably somewhere in-between a disgruntled employee/vendor and a fan boy.

And to tell you where I sit before I continue to say where I stand, I do have and really like my RAM truck.  But for daily driving, it is my 3rd choice.  Behind a car from Japan and a car from Germany.

I was simply saying that CAFE was likely the reason they needed the Dart and the 200. Under CAFE a car company can’t really survive just selling trucks, suv’s, and muscle cars.  Sure those are most profitable. And if profits were all there is to it, then no problem, that’s all any of them would sell. You think Chevy actually likes having to sell the Sonic?  Lol. 

If you know me at all, you know I’m all about maximizing ROI. Weed and feed, baby. But it’s never that simple in the auto industry. How do they meet the CAFE requirements without significant volume from small 4 cyl cars?  I’m honestly asking.  Is CAFE dead now?  Nope.  Maybe FCA is in violation but decided they’re still better off even after accounting for the $55/car they have to pay for every 1mpg they’re over CAFE.  Sorta like an NBA team that willingly exceeds the salary cap and pays the corresponding luxury tax.

Anyway, I think you might be confusing what Hop was saying about the two failed cars. His point wasn’t that they shouldn’t have cancelled them. A loser is a loser. His point was simply that they produced losers (under the expert eye of Fiat). That seems to have hurt some people’s feelings. He used that fact to demonstrate they lost sight of the market.  Kinda hard to argue against that point since the cancellations you acknowledge are the proof.

Oh, and I love how you DONT know Hop well enough to know who he works for but somehow you DO know him well enough to call him disgruntled (twice). 

Ram fanboys are out in force tonight!!

5 hours ago, Cazan said:

You rolling the dice with the etorque? 

Nope.  The normal hemi has enough power for me and i keep my trucks a long time - dont want the extra complications that would come with the hybrid. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, IXFE said:

Hey @bamabonners

I was thinking... about those two failed cars. We’re talking about the Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200... built to compete with Cruz/Malibu, Focus/Fusion, Corola/Camry, Civic/Accord, etc. How’d that work out?  These are not obscure segments either.  This is bread and butter stuff.

Yes they have all cancelled cars but the Dart and 200 were BRAND new cars that flopped after years of R&D, setup, all new tooling and factories. Gone within four years... 

Within the last decade... name a Ford or GM car that has been a ground up design, launched and subsequently scrapped within the first four years of production. 

I saw a silhouette of the ram head outside last night, calling me to respond as if I were Batman...

I actually had to look into a little.  First of all, the Dart was not some grand FCA project.  For all intents and purposes, its a Fiat (and is still manufactured for elsewhere in the world).  It was announced in 2011 when FCA finished reorganization, and they produced a 2012 model year.  So, to characterize the Dart as some long term unicorn/halo car for FCA is blurring the realities.  Secondly, the timing was horrible.  Economic boom, cheap gas, seriously the worst time to sell a fuel efficient, small, car.

As for the 200, it too borrowed arhcitecture, but in fact went through two designs, and sold more than 125,000 units the majority of years.  HEck, even the Toyota Camry, perhaps THE bread an butter car, has been passed by...the Nissan ROGUE?  (and Rav4).  True story.  Boring, affordable, sedan sales are flat and declining for everyone.  

As to GM and ford cancellations off the top of my head:

pontiac solstice (saturn sky)

pontiac G8

(heck they scrapped saturn and pontiac completely with new designs)

chevy SS (maybe you know that one :))

ford 500

chevy SSR? 

buick verano

cadillac ELR (saying it and the volt are the same is like saying a T23 and 23 LSV are the same.  They are completely different cars.

lincoln MKS?

IXFE, I hear you.  FCA needs to clean up its management.  Fine.  Most companies could do that.  At the end of the day, is the new 1500 a very impressive offering, yes, one that I'll be looking closely at given my outstanding experience with my 2010 and 2016.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

The small 4 door trucks that started the crew cab large truck revolution were in Europe , orient, South America , central and the Caribbean islands took a long time to get to US cause of cafe , Toyota snd Nissan, at the time were small car manufacturers, had to bide their time and dictates of CAFE but they got there snd cashed in

strsnge stuff in industry driven by that train wreck of legislation as I agree you just don’t know what’s driving the decisions 

but the thought that Fiat, no matter how big, as a tech and drive savior is a joke,  ITS AN ITALIAN car manufacturer, what else do you need to know , think sexy Pintos, it’s still a Pinto, 

Edited by granddaddy55
21 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

off the top of my head:

pontiac solstice (saturn sky)

pontiac G8

(heck they scrapped saturn and pontiac completely with new designs)

chevy SS (maybe you know that one :))

ford 500

chevy SSR? 

buick verano

cadillac ELR

lincoln MKS?

solstice/sky - yeah those were a niche segment, tried to jump in on Miata's reign, failed.

G8 and SS were variants of a car produced in Australia. Wasn't a ton of R&D went in there, rebadging at its finest. The underpinnings are also the grounds for Camaro

500 was a Taurus, tried to re-initiate the car by giving it a new name. But the Taurus is on the chopping block so I hear

SSR, another niche offering going after the retro market of the day, but that was an S10 with a big engine and cool sheet metal. Biggest development on that was the convertible hard top.

verano re-badge sheet metal change

ELR, that didn't work out, wrong demographic, they should have seen that coming

Lincoln, are they still around??

23 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

The small 4 door trucks that started the crew cab large truck revolution were in Europe , orient, South America , central and the Caribbean islands took a long time to get to US cause of cafe , Toyota snd Nissan, at the time were small car manufacturers, had to bide their time and dictates of CAFE but they got there snd cashed in

strsnge stuff in industry driven by that train wreck of legislation as I agree you just don’t know what’s driving the decisions 

but the thought that Fiat, no matter how big, as a tech and drive savior is a joke,  ITS AN ITALIAN car manufacturer, what else do you need to know , think sexy Pintos, it’s still a Pinto, 

Personally, I find italian car design to be the most reliably sexy there is.  I mean, with brands like Lambo, Ferrari, Maserati, Alfa, etc.  Fiat aint' Peugeot.   But since Fiat, you know, BOUGHT Chrysler, hard to say there was much option.

3 minutes ago, Falko said:

solstice/sky - yeah those were a niche segment, tried to jump in on Miata's reign, failed.

G8 and SS were variants of a car produced in Australia. Wasn't a ton of R&D went in there, rebadging at its finest. The underpinnings are also the grounds for Camaro

500 was a Taurus, tried to re-initiate the car by giving it a new name. But the Taurus is on the chopping block so I hear

SSR, another niche offering going after the retro market of the day, but that was an S10 with a big engine and cool sheet metal. Biggest development on that was the convertible hard top.

verano re-badge sheet metal change

ELR, that didn't work out, wrong demographic, they should have seen that coming

Lincoln, are they still around??

...was simply giving IXFE a list of dead GM and ford cars I could think of.

So which is worse?  Killing entire brands like Saturn and Pontiac and Mercury or Chrysler killing 2 models?   I admit, Chrysler killed Plymouth, but that was LONG ago.