Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 RAM 1500

bamabonners

21 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

@Cole2001 where do you live? In MO, gas is high( anything over 2 bucks is high to me) 2.69.  Wife and I both drive HD diesels , diesel is 2.79

Good old Canada.. 1.50-1.60/L plus a ton for premium 

So.....after reading this thread, I'm happy to offer my $.02....

I love the new Ram!!  I think it's killer!  I say this as a Ford guy who admittedly never cared for the prior Ram.  If FCA can pull their crap together and get through this launch, I think the truck will do very well.  HOWEVER.....Hopkins is exactly right on the money with his assertion about the quality, decision making, etc. surrounding this truck.  FCA is having a hell of a time with the launch.  They've been struggling with a lot of serious quality issues.  That is a fact.  I remain convinced that if they make it right, the truck will do well.

What I'm really interested to see is if the body and interior changes are carried through on the HD trucks.  They are produced in Mexico.  My understanding is that this launch will follow the /2 ton.  Assuming all the bugs get worked out of the 1/2 ton, I think FCA has a winner on their hands with the 3/4 and 1 ton Ram.  

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
18 minutes ago, inlandlaker said:

So.....after reading this thread, I'm happy to offer my $.02....

I love the new Ram!!  I think it's killer!  I say this as a Ford guy who admittedly never cared for the prior Ram.  If FCA can pull their crap together and get through this launch, I think the truck will do very well.  HOWEVER.....Hopkins is exactly right on the money with his assertion about the quality, decision making, etc. surrounding this truck.  FCA is having a hell of a time with the launch.  They've been struggling with a lot of serious quality issues.  That is a fact.  I remain convinced that if they make it right, the truck will do well.

What I'm really interested to see is if the body and interior changes are carried through on the HD trucks.  They are produced in Mexico.  My understanding is that this launch will follow the /2 ton.  Assuming all the bugs get worked out of the 1/2 ton, I think FCA has a winner on their hands with the 3/4 and 1 ton Ram.  

Sorry you are wrong. I’m just disgruntled and a hater. See the signature...

• Like 3

This is the first Dodge Ram I have ever seen that actually got me looking.  The front end and body lines look so much better.   Interior also looks very nice.  I'm sure they are going to sell a bunch of them this upcoming year.

Anyone know fuel economy on the HEMI and HP/torque ratings?

20180430_152022.png

2 hours ago, Fman said:

This is the first Dodge Ram I have ever seen that actually got me looking.  The front end and body lines look so much better.   Interior also looks very nice.  I'm sure they are going to sell a bunch of them this upcoming year.

20180430_152022.png

Hmm, I liked it until I saw it all DB'd out like that ;)

Useless led lightbar - check

Lifted a lot for silly little tires - check

Tires have no sidewall - designed for mall crawling, not off-road - check

Edited by oldjeep
4 hours ago, Fman said:

20180430_152022.png

Hemi HP and TQ are the same as the current truck - 395/410.  They have a new mild hybrid as well, but I am still unclear what it really does..  Doesn't add any HP or TQ to the engine.

12 hours ago, Fman said:

20180430_152022.png

Haha. Probably because it looks like a Tundra. 

12 hours ago, RyanB said:

Hemi HP and TQ are the same as the current truck - 395/410.  They have a new mild hybrid as well, but I am still unclear what it really does..  Doesn't add any HP or TQ to the engine.

The hybrid thing supposedly adds a lot of torque off idle

12 hours ago, RyanB said:

the latest that I've read, it actually does.  It can't boost the torque to 540, but what it does do is provide torque at low engine speeds upon moderate acceleration, allowing 4 cylinder mode and more readily available torque off the line thus resulting in fuel savings, and cranks over during auto start immediately, not relying on the conventional electrical system.  

EDIT: old jeep beat me, like usual

Edited by 85 Barefoot

@oldjeep and @85 Barefoot, where are you getting info that it actually boosts torque?  Because everything I have read says that HP and TQ are the same between the two engines.

https://www.allpar.com/trucks/ram/the-specs.html

Even the official RAM website lists torque as the same for both engines.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/2019/ram-1500/capability.html

The RAM site does mention that etorque does increase max towing from 11,610 to 12,750.

I guess in reading the description they do talk about "an extra 130 pound-feet of torque", but the specs still give the same number for each engine.

The available 5.7L HEMI® V8 engine with eTorque mild hybrid system blends performance-enhancing and fuel-saving technologies like variable valve timing and cylinder deactivation with the muscular addition of an extra 130 pound-feet of torque. The result: Best-in-Class V8 towing of up to 12,750 pounds

54 minutes ago, RyanB said:

I guess in reading the description they do talk about "an extra 130 pound-feet of torque", but the specs still give the same number for each engine.

The available 5.7L HEMI® V8 engine with eTorque mild hybrid system blends performance-enhancing and fuel-saving technologies like variable valve timing and cylinder deactivation with the muscular addition of an extra 130 pound-feet of torque. The result: Best-in-Class V8 towing of up to 12,750 pounds

You are comparing peak torque at high rpm.  The hybrid ups the torque numbers down low in the rpm range.  So lets say tgat off idle yiu normally get 140 ft lbs, now you get 270

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2
17 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Hmm, I liked it until I saw it all DB'd out like that ;)

Useless led lightbar - check

Lifted a lot for silly little tires - check

Tires have no sidewall - designed for mall crawling, not off-road - check

LOL... this site is so intimidating :rofl:

All good and definitely not for everyone.   I thought it was tastefully lifted and outfitted.  @Tims yeah kinda does have some Tundra-ish lines to it... which is not a bad thing.  Although imo Dodge definitely has a much better looking interior package than the Tundra. 

Regardless a nice model upgrade for Dodge.

Yeah, I really like my Tundra (but still shy of love) but the interior is lacking, and the painted silver plastic scratches easily. But this isn't a Tundra thread.

I like the new Ram, nice change. I liked the previous though as well, always liked Ram trucks since they came out with the Kenworth look. Their interior is really nice. While it is all opinion, I think they do have the best interior.

Well your Tundra will be running years after the dashes of these Rams glow with check engine lights and other awesome baked in features you get with that company.

• Like 1

I just skimmed through this thread from the start.  I do like the looks of the new truck and also think it will sell well.  Unfortunately, after 25 years of working in the Detroit auto industry with many friends and business acquaintances within the FCA supply base and the company itself, I have the same opinion as @ahopkinsTXi about FCA.  I agree that every company has some degree of organized chaos, but I've heard too many stories about FCA launches, that I wouldn't ever buy something from them other than on a 2 year lease that was going to be 100% covered under warranty during my duration of driving the vehicle.

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
18 minutes ago, Badger said:

I just skimmed through this thread from the start.  I do like the looks of the new truck and also think it will sell well.  Unfortunately, after 25 years of working in the Detroit auto industry with many friends and business acquaintances within the FCA supply base and the company itself, I have the same opinion as @ahopkinsTXi about FCA.  I agree that every company has some degree of organized chaos, but I've heard too many stories about FCA launches, that I wouldn't ever buy something from them other than on a 2 year lease that was going to be 100% covered under warranty during my duration of driving the vehicle.

You didn’t skim hard enough, you are just disgruntled too. 

• Like 3
On 5/5/2018 at 3:48 PM, nyryan2001 said:

Well your Tundra will be running years after the dashes of these Rams glow with check engine lights and other awesome baked in features you get with that company.

Maybe.  But at least I'll spend less in gas than Falko, sipping cold ones out of my in floor cooler, and enjoying undisputed segment-best ride and interior waiting for the day it croaks.  

15 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Ram fanboy checking back in...can someone explain to me the relevance of product launches on the merit of a customer's appeal to a product?  IS there any Ram driver on here not thrilled with their Rams?  Racer, Darkside, me, old jeep, bamabonners and some others, all have posted nothing but great reviews of the current gen.  No doubt next gen is even better.  NYRyan's post is typical misplaced criticism of Ram.  OK, so FCA runs poor launches.  Got it.  Has zero to do with making it an extremely attractive, feature laden new truck that judging by the last gen, has held up extremely well.

I'm on my 3rd Ram & I haven't had issues with any of them aside from normal wear & tear.