Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2.5 hours to change impeller!

Sailvi767

Getting ready to have first annual service done. Dealer is quoting 2.5 hours and 350 dollars to change impeller! Says the shop time is straight from Malibu. I have not changed the impeller on the raptor. Am I missing something? Normally takes me about 20 minutes on the Chevy block. Total annual service is almost 1000 dollars! 

10 minutes ago, Sailvi767 said:

Getting ready to have first annual service done. Dealer is quoting 2.5 hours and 350 dollars to change impeller! Says the shop time is straight from Malibu. I have not changed the impeller on the raptor. Am I missing something? Normally takes me about 20 minutes on the Chevy block. Total annual service is almost 1000 dollars! 

Its easy.  Prolly takes me 45 minutes but I take my engine cover walkover pad off so I can access it from the swim deck.  If you don't have the walkover pad, just open the hatches.  I highly suggest getting the impeller tool.  while you can do it without, it makes the process much easier.  I have a few swear words each time I do it tho. 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Sailvi767 said:

Flat rate time on anything engine/transmission/Vdrive related would come from the engine manufacturer, not Malibu.

6 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Flat rate time on anything engine/transmission/Vdrive related would come from the engine manufacturer, not Malibu.

Seems like it should come from Malibu since the difficulty of changing the impeller is related to how they installed the engine in the hull.

I know how to change a impeller and have a puller. I have probably done a hundred of them. Just trying to understand how they can quote 2.5 hours to change it on the ford block. Wondered if you have to pull the engine out of the boat or something! 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Seems like it should come from Malibu since the difficulty of changing the impeller is related to how they installed the engine in the hull.

Nope.

And I honestly doubt the real flat rate time on that is 2.5 hrs.

31 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Nope.

And I honestly doubt the real flat rate time on that is 2.5 hrs.

I would be curious to see what they have for "book times" for all their procedures. 

L96 on a VTX is a tight squeeze.  couldn't get my puller (from bakes) in there to pull the old one out.  I ended up actually removing part of the water pump to remove the old.

My dealer charges for 2 hours to change the oil, plus supplies. I change my own oil and it only takes 30 minutes max. It takes me 2 hours if the oil needs to drain a little longer, but I am off doing other things. I also changed the impeller in the Raptor motor and if you know what you are doing, it can be done in 15 minutes.  

My first attempt ever That was my planning time , first attempt fail time, call Andrew at bakes and get clarification , do it again, put cover back on, maybe 1.25

i was the idiot who paid $850 plus parts for 20 and 100hour services including spark plug changes ( what s rip off) , so glad they pissed me off, I save slot of money doing fluid snd impeller changes, you probably need spark plugs once every 5 years including high hour boats!!!!