Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

JL Audio---4 M770 vs 2 M880 for tower

Brodie

I plan to replace my tower speakers with JL Audio speakers, and I have found 2 used options which are about the same price.  Which would be better, 4 M770 or 2 M880?  I know those M880's are quite the speaker, and was planning to go that route, but maybe 4 of the M770 would be better?  I do NOT want any horn speakers, so I'm not looking for louder options like some of the Wetsounds or Exile speakers.  We mainly surf, so I want clear, crisp sound with good mid-bass.  I will run plenty of power to either option.  Thoughts??  Thanks!

Yes, I have consider their Icon speakers, as well as the Exile SXT9, but I am partial to the JL Audio sound.  Plus, I can get either of those JL Audio options for a reasonable price.

JL guys have always been hard to convert. Lol! 

But I think the Icons sound great. Another option that sounds really good are the new Revo speakers from wet sounds. I havent heard them in a can, but they handle a lot of power and sound great!

Only real difference is 25w of power handling between speakers. Yes the 8.8" say they will play down to 38hz, but youll never hear it on a boat while running. Four of the 7.7" will play louder at the rated wattage than two of the 8.8" at rated wattage. 

And Im with you on horns, I dont care for the sound of them.

Edited by COOP

Thanks.  I don't expect to get bass as low as 38hz, as I will prob set my crossover at ~50hz anyway.  Yes, I've heard good things about the Revo as well.  It would be nice to have just one pair of speakers on the tower, so if the output is somewhat similar, it may be worth going with the M880?  The M880 uses a bigger tweeter, and the motor assembly is massive compared to the 770.  

Edited by Brodie

I have to slightly disagree. Maybe at their “suggested” power levels you might get more sound from 4 7.7’s, but both speakers can handle significantly more wattage than jl writes on their website.

This is my personal motorcycle-

bs03hF.jpg

4 jl m770 components in the front

2 jl m880’s in the rear.

the 770’s are powered by an arc 600.4 at 150w each crossed at 75-100 i believe

the 880’s are bridged on another arc 600.4 at 300w each crossed at 50

tuned with an smd distortion detector and the 8.8’s are genuinly louder, and the midbass is tremendous in comparison. Granted they get twice the rms, there is half as many of them.

it depends on what you are going to power them with. 300w on the 8.8’s is probably entering the danger zone, but those 7.7’s are commonly powered with up to 175w.

keep in mind those 8.8’s are GIGANTIC. They are ridiculously deep. I was astonished i fit them in my saddlebags. So if headroom is a concern, the 7.7’s honestly might tuck out of the way better.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Dtha said:

keep in mind those 8.8’s are GIGANTIC. They are ridiculously deep. I was astonished i fit them in my saddlebags. So if headroom is a concern, the 7.7’s honestly might tuck out of the way better.

Are you using the on-board crossover for the M770 component woofer/tweeter?  Or did you do the crossover with a different dedicated crossover or DSP?  I was thinking of swapping a pair of the M650 in my boat for a M770 component setup and wanted some input on the tweeter crossover from someone who's used them (not in a car).

And you're not kidding about how deep the M880s are.  Be warned all ye who tread here.  Pay attention to the physical drawings of that speaker and make sure they'll fit!

5 hours ago, Brodie said:

I plan to replace my tower speakers with JL Audio speakers, and I have found 2 used options which are about the same price.  Which would be better, 4 M770 or 2 M880?  I know those M880's are quite the speaker, and was planning to go that route, but maybe 4 of the M770 would be better?  I do NOT want any horn speakers, so I'm not looking for louder options like some of the Wetsounds or Exile speakers.  We mainly surf, so I want clear, crisp sound with good mid-bass.  I will run plenty of power to either option.  Thoughts??  Thanks!

I just added some M880ETXv3 to the tower powered by an SD2.  I know... overkill, but I'm hedging the amp against maybe adding a second pair in coming years.  I haven't gotten out surfing yet, but they sure seem pretty loud just running around.  I'll try to give you a report next week when I get out for the first time.

40522132205_ee49f98a06_k.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Dtha said:

I have to slightly disagree. Maybe at their “suggested” power levels you might get more sound from 4 7.7’s, but both speakers can handle significantly more wattage than jl writes on their website.

This is my personal motorcycle-

bs03hF.jpg

4 jl m770 components in the front

2 jl m880’s in the rear.

the 880’s are bridged on another arc 600.4 at 300w each crossed at 50

tuned with an smd distortion detector and the 8.8’s are genuinly louder, and the midbass is tremendous in comparison. Granted they get twice the rms, there is half as many of them.

it depends on what you are going to power them with. 300w on the 8.8’s is probably entering the danger zone, but those 7.7’s are commonly powered with up to 175w.

Sorry to go off topic, but can we get some more pictures of this setup? WOW

1 hour ago, Slurpee said:

Are you using the on-board crossover for the M770 component woofer/tweeter?  Or did you do the crossover with a different dedicated crossover or DSP?  I was thinking of swapping a pair of the M650 in my boat for a M770 component setup and wanted some input on the tweeter crossover from someone who's used them (not in a car).

And you're not kidding about how deep the M880s are.  Be warned all ye who tread here.  Pay attention to the physical drawings of that speaker and make sure they'll fit!

I used the built in cross over. The tweeter is blended very well with the woofer, and even at max volume it doesnt have any ear ringing high pitched unbalance. On a previous setup i had 650’s in the fairing, although they were mx’s and only at 60w, the 770’s definitely have a better all around tone.

to better clarify to the op, it really comes down to what amps you will run and if you can deal with the size of the 880’s overhead. They are a legit 5.5” deep, and the pod i would imagine close to 7”. I have a buddy with 8.8’s in his saddlebags like mine powered by a jl400/4 bridged at 200w that i tuned with the smd and they dont offer the same midbass thump mine do at 300. I feel they really need a good 250w to get the best bang for the buck.

4 770’s powered similarly as mine at 150-175w will have you extremely pleased, probably offer better headroom, and safer to power vs the 880’s at 250w or more. Putting that much power to the 8.8’s is potentially a gamble, a good tune with 0 distortion is required, but they will absolutely blow you away.

19 minutes ago, ponderosasurf said:

Sorry to go off topic, but can we get some more pictures of this setup? WOW

I dont want to take away from the op, hopefully i’ve been helpful enough.

i built 90% of it by hand myself in my garage over 3 years.OJlLoO.jpg

The stereo is a sony mex 70 (only used for songpal [which is subpar at best]) 2 arc xdi 600.4’s mounted to the plates shown below.

3ILzt5.jpg

but back to the op. With the wind at 75, and the noise of the harley engine. Fade it front or back both the 7.7’s and the 8.8’s sound incredible, you’ll be pleased either way you go.

• Like 3

Thanks for all of the advice.  As far as power goes, If I go with 4 M770's, I will run them off my current tower amp- Rockford P500-2 (125 RMS to each of the 4 @ 2 ohms).  If I go with the M880, I will get something  that will run ~250 rms/channel @ 4 ohms.

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

Thanks for all of the advice.  As far as power goes, If I go with 4 M770's, I will run them off my current tower amp- Rockford P500-2 (125 RMS to each of the 4 @ 2 ohms).  If I go with the M880, I will get something  that will run ~250 rms/channel @ 4 ohms.

Sounds about right.  Be careful though.  You can really develop an amplifier addiction.... Just finished adding my new SD2 to the board, and put down an MX280/4 bridged to run the bow speakers separately.  That way the CFO can have her dedicated volume control for that zone (PAC-LC1 below).

40541055825_f6705ac175_k.jpg

40541056255_84e586e477_k.jpg

• 9 months later...
On 4/14/2018 at 4:15 AM, Brodie said:

Hey - how did you get on with the speakers? I have one set of jl 7.7 and thinking of adding a second.