Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Budget Stereo Advice - Stock 2007 LSV

riot138

I was hoping to replace my in boat speakers and my alpha 1 tower speakers (speaker only and re-use can).  I have been doing a lot of research and eventually I plan on getting an extra set of alpha 1 cans and going with the Kicker KMS67 tower setup.  I bought the boat last November and only had it for a few days before putting it away in heated storage so I quickly went over the system because I knew this is something that needed upgrading.  I'm looking for more of a budget to medium level system.  This is my first boat in a long time so I have already blown through my annual upgrade budget with boards, vests, ropes, ballast, spare prop, engine tune up and seadek for platform.  So I am really looking to spend around $300 on in boats and $200 on speakers for cans until I buy the KMS67 and I am hoping my amps will be sufficient for those 8 speakers.   I would appreciate any recommendations that would work with my current system and would be easy replacements (e.g. I don't want to drill out holes for 8" speakers). Here is a break down of my system:  Thanks in advance!

AMPS:
Rockford Fosgate Punch P450.4
4-channel car amplifier
60 watts RMS x 4

Rockford Fosgate Punch P325.2
2-channel car amplifier
80 watts RMS x 2

Head Unit:
sony mex-1gp (not sure)

Sub:
1x 10" rockford fosgate P210S4

In Boat Speakers:
bow = 2x rockford fosgate T162c
stern = 2x rockford fosgate T162c
windshield = 2x rockford fosgate T152c (may be T162c)

Tower Speakers:
titan alpha 1 cans (not sure on speakers)

Is that list what you have currently in the boat or what you want to put in the boat?

What are you looking to upgrade in-boat wise for the $300 and what are you looking to upgrade tower wise for that $200? 

Does the tower currently have 2 or 4 alpha 1 pods?  

I don't know much about stereos but I was hoping to get the following and I am not sure if I have the amps to power everything.

4xPolk Audio DB651 6.5" for stern and bow

2xPolk Audio DB521 5.25-Inch for under windshield

2xPolk MM651UM for alpha 1 cans

Leave existing rockford sub.

If you need a little more power, find one of these amps and you're set. They routinely put out more power than what they're rated for, clean power, decent sound for a D series amp, and fairly efficient. They're kinda the "budget amp" of choice for a lot of people.

Precision Power 900.4
https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Power-Phantom-900W-Amplifier/dp/B00R3HS294/

I've used these in a couple different setups and have always been super happy with the power they put out. 

• Like 1

Ok, so you understand that the Kicker KMS67 is a 4 pod setup, so you need another pair of alpha-1 pods. Since you are looking into an HLCD setup, I presume your tower goal is wake range. This will likely require a dedicated amp for the tower setup. Your current R/F 450.4 could possibly do this duty. 

You will need another 4 chnl just for the 3 pair of in-boats. 

You could retain the 2 chnl for the woofer or go with a 5 or 6 chnl for 3 pair of in-boats and woofer, keeping you at 2 amps. 

As is stands now, you will need another pair of chnls if you want to add another pair of coaxial in alpha 1 pods. With 3 pair of in-boats, pair of tower pods and woofer, you are currently out of external amp chnls. You could shift 2 pair of in-boats to the head unit.  

Not sure what generation polk DB's you are looking at, but the ones with the pole mounted tweeter and silver grills have been retired for a few seasons now, so they could be getting hard to find left in stock anywhere. 

Thanks MLA that is exactly the information I was looking for.  I'm not dead set on the polk speakers I was looking at some kicker and some rockfords as well.  I am just hoping to understand the system before I start buying equipment.  If I do go with a 6 chnl amp to keep it to two amps would I be getting rid of the 2 chnl I have now and keeping the 4 chnl?  Would it be better to keep the two amps I have now and just add another 4 channel like the one recommended by ibelonginprison?  I get the boat out of storage in the next few days and I am going to try to figure out how they have everything hooked up now.   Worst case I may buy new speaker grills (DS18 PRO on ebay) and get a decent amp and coaxials for the pods and worry about the in boats next year.

I won't be installing this myself and I will most likely be buying from my local stereo shop but I would like to have a plan on what I need and so I can do a little homework on prices.  I'm in Canada but I border Detroit so if you don't shop around you can easily pay more than double over in Canada.  E.g. https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_20641MS674/Kicker-KMS674C.html?tp=73911 = $800Cdn vs $300Usd

Not steering you away from the old Dbs, hard to beat them for the price, just be ready for them not to be instock. 

A 5 or 6 chnl would allow for you to retire the 2 chnl if the amp rack was running low on realestate. 

Do you think if I bought this precision 5 chnl amp (Precision Power P900.5 Phantom Series Class D 900 Watt 5-Channel Amplifier) I would be able to run everything?

So it would be:

Precision 5chn amp (new) + Rockford Fosgate Punch P450.4 4chnl (existing)

to power:

6 in boats (Rockford Fosgate RM0652B) (new)

1 pair pods (Rockford Fosgate Prime RM1652B) (new)

1 sub  10" rockford fosgate P210S4  (existing)

Edited by riot138
5 hours ago, riot138 said:

Do you think if I bought this precision 5 chnl amp (Precision Power P900.5 Phantom Series Class D 900 Watt 5-Channel Amplifier) I would be able to run everything?

So it would be:

to power:

Maybe Todd @ibelonginprison will share which RF he has on his tower. I know his sound really good. And they withstand him playing them pretty loud. I was impressed last year when I heard them in a shop and coming out of the marina. Sound quality really clear.

6 minutes ago, sChamblee said:

Maybe Todd @ibelonginprison will share which RF he has on his tower. I know his sound really good. And they withstand him playing them pretty loud. I was impressed last year when I heard them in a shop and coming out of the marina. Sound quality really clear.

Rockford Fosgate PM2652 with about 150 watts rms going to each one. Tuned appropriately, of course, they stay super clean and clear for a long way.

6 hours ago, riot138 said:

So it would be:

to power:

Yes, but in reality, your current 2 amps will do the same. Bu this is going to max out what is already a small amp with some decent wattage but real light on mass to dissipate heat. 

Its not going to allow for you to add that 2nd pair, nor is it going to effectively drive the KMS67 HLCD if you upgrade to those. But, a 5 chnl will free up what I presume is a still functioning 450.4 amp? Use it to drive the tower speakers. 

Today I bought 1 pair of the PM2652W tower speakers that ibelonginprison recommended .  I didn't realize these just bolt right onto the illsusion x tower. I think I am going to ditch the 2 channel as recommended and go with one of the precision power amps.  Should I get the 900 Watt 4 chnl or the 900 Watt 5 chnl.  Again this would be paired with my existing Rockford Fosgate Punch P450.4 4chnl.  Would this power the 6 in boats, 1 pair tower and 1 sub adequately?.  I really just want to be able to hear the system at surf distance and I won't be adding anything to the system with the exception of replacing the 6 in boats with the lower end RF Marine 6.5" speakers.  Thanks again for taking the time to help me out!

Edited by riot138
7 minutes ago, riot138 said:

I really just want to be able to hear the system at surf distance and I won't be adding anything to the system with the exception of replacing the 6 in boats with the lower end RF Marine 6.5" speakers.

Try this.  I made a bit bigger pair with 8 inch Kickers.  Fantastic sound at surfing distance.  Quiet in the cabin.

50 minutes ago, riot138 said:

Today I bought 1 pair of the PM2652W tower speakers that ibelonginprison recommended .

Are the in addition to or replacements for the current tower speakers? 

Thanks Minnmarker I actually remember reading your post. Great Idea!  I am just trying to keep it extremely basic, replace existing speakers with new speakers.

30 minutes ago, MLA said:

Are the in addition to or replacements for the current tower speakers? 

These are to replace the existing tower speakers.  I got the boat out of storage a few days ago and the one speaker that is blown also has some bad corrosion in and outside of the can.

With a woofer, 3 pair in-boats and a single pair of tower speakers, a 5 chnl would serve you best. Let it drive the woofer and the in-boats. 

Re-purpose the 4 chnl to drive the new tower speakers. If there is a chance you will be adding a 2nd set of tower speakers, the 2 chnl would be the better option keep in the boat. 

Ok, so I didn't stick to my budget but for $725 I ended up buying 2 sets of lightly used Wet Sounds XS-65i, 1 set of Rockford Fosgate PM2652W-B tower speakers and a Precision Power P900.5 amp.  I'm not a big audiophile so I'm hoping this setup will be good enough for a few years.  Once everything comes and gets installed I will be sure to post some pictures back to this thread.  Thanks again to everyone for all the help.