Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1" Drop, can that be right? (no one sells it)

MustGoFast

So measured the demo T22 today @ 19" from ground to coupler, and the F150 at 20" from ground to top of receiver opening. 

In theory I need a 1" drop, but I don't see anyone of the common manufacturers making these, frankly that seemed odd, but ok.

So my thinking is go w/ a straight hitch: better to be a little high and reduce the tongue weight, plus the load will likely compress the suspension a bit and get pretty close to level anyway... the alternative is a 2" drop and w/ any compression will be more than 1" pitched forward instead of <1" pitched back.....  

Make sense to anyone else?

I bought a straight out 3 combo ball Reese hitch rated for over 10k and it’s the perfect height, maybe even higher wouldn’t be bad.  I’ve got a 2012 1ton chev. With the f150, you’ll probably squat a lot more too. 

generic stores don’t stock anything decent, find a trailer hitch website. They’ll have everything possible. 

I wouldn't worry too much about it until you can actually measure it when it's attached to your truck, loaded the way you normally would (fuel etc).  It will drop your truck an inch, maybe more.  Also, an inch from level is fine.

• Like 1
On 4/10/2018 at 6:25 AM, MadMan said:

I wouldn't worry too much about it until you can actually measure it when it's attached to your truck, loaded the way you normally would (fuel etc).  It will drop your truck an inch, maybe more.  Also, an inch from level is fine.

MadMan is right.  You have to measure after it's attached to your pickup.  My F150 settles a couple of inches so I actually use a small rise in the hitch mount in order to level the trailer.

1 hour ago, Zita said:

MadMan is right.  You have to measure after it's attached to your pickup.  My F150 settles a couple of inches so I actually use a small rise in the hitch mount in order to level the trailer.

But u have to have a hitch to attach and measure.  So I guess I'll try str8 and see how it looks can always adjust after.

Save yourself the aggravation and buy one hitch now and never look back.  I've had 2, 3, 5, 7" drops all with different sized balls 2" and 2 5/16" and once I lifted my truck I needed an adjustable, now I have this https://www.bulletproofhitches.com/product/2-0-heavy-duty-large-10-droprise/ and I will never have to buy another.  I wanted a B&W or Andersen but they don't offer the weights past 8-10k.  I wish I would have pulled the trigger on this purchase many years ago.  They have many different sizes.

2 hours ago, wedge88 said:

Save yourself the aggravation and buy one hitch now and never look back.  I've had 2, 3, 5, 7" drops all with different sized balls 2" and 2 5/16" and once I lifted my truck I needed an adjustable, now I have this https://www.bulletproofhitches.com/product/2-0-heavy-duty-large-10-droprise/ and I will never have to buy another.  I wanted a B&W or Andersen but they don't offer the weights past 8-10k.  I wish I would have pulled the trigger on this purchase many years ago.  They have many different sizes.

I’ll have to check my B&W. I would have swore the rating was 10,000. According to etrailer, the 2” is now 7500. Still more than enough for my Malibu which is the heaviest I tow by ball, but if you want to be “within the numbers”, you are right, need to consider that. 

I agree on getting the adjustable hitch. I probably have 6 or 8 different draw bars that were replaced by the B&W. 

3 hours ago, wedge88 said:

Andersen 2" class 4 is 10,000lbs

Edited by oldjeep
20 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Andersen 2" class 4 is 10,000lbs

Exactly....10k max.  The bulletproof is 12K and doubles that on 2 5/16"  More than the truck can tow, I understand.  I also looked at Andersen but they don't offer more than an 8" drop or a pintle attachment.  I wanted a "one and done" solution and the only hitch that checked all the boxes was the bulletproof.  

20 hours ago, RyanB said:

I’ll have to check my B&W. I would have swore the rating was 10,000. According to etrailer, the 2” is now 7500. Still more than enough for my Malibu which is the heaviest I tow by ball, but if you want to be “within the numbers”, you are right, need to consider that. 

I agree on getting the adjustable hitch. I probably have 6 or 8 different draw bars that were replaced by the B&W. 

I wanted the B&W tow and stow so bad but they only drop to 9" and 10k is max on 2 5/16".  The height alone killed it but I need a hitch that is 12K rated at a minimum.  I loved the idea of the stowing the ball when not in use but now I just pull the two pins on the ball bracket and remove and leave the ladder locked to the truck.

I sold my big pintles, shackle mounts and most of my drawbars on craiglist and covered 75% of the new hitch.  My wife thought I had a problem...

someone said it already, but wait till you actually hook up the boat to determine what you need, Math will only get you so far. On a half ton you will sag more then 1" for sure, most likely end up with a rise to counter the sag.

19 minutes ago, mackie12 said:

someone said it already, but wait till you actually hook up the boat to determine what you need, Math will only get you so far. On a half ton you will sag more then 1" for sure, most likely end up with a rise to counter the sag.

Sag is tough to figure out without a proper hitch measurement.  There is a level that a twin axle trailer wants to be at.  If you use a hitch with too much rise then the truck sags more