Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New 2018 Axis T22 Docking

JotsT22

So I finally Pulled the trigger and bought a brand new Axis T22 and I have a few questions about the best way to keep the boat scratch free at the dock. Unfortunately The friend who is letting me use his dock does not want me to use whips so now I'm looking for idea and products that will help protect my boat from getting scratched. Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Is there any rational reason not to use whips?  I am not a big fan of them in really bad situations, but I guess I am not a fan of my boat being in the water if possible in bad situations.  

BABz or Exile balls.  Google them.  Bigger than your typical bumper pads, and less rough on the exterior so they don't scuff either.  I am not sure I would leave them for extended periods in case one popped, but I think it is a good place to start.  

If I can tie from both sides I typically center the boat in the slip with spring lines and even though the boat doesn’t touch anything I throw my buoys over the sides as insurance. With a one side tie off, spring lines again but with max bouys.

• Like 2

If lift isn’t an option and you don’t have a boat slip. I’d anchor a bungee a ways off the side of the boat that pulls the boat away from the dock. This way you’re basically making whips for less than $50. Just use the bungee to hold it while you’re gone and while you’re there use the Babz or exiles. 

Real interesting idea. Wish I heard it before my whips arrived today! Oh well, I will enjoy the whips and the exile like bouncy balls for quick tie-up’s.

I had great luck with these.

https://www.overtons.com/product/details?pdesc=Mooring-Snubber-fits-1/2-3/4-line&i=315208

Before I had a hoist, I had to tie up my sportster to 4 pilings each weekend. I had these on all 4 lines. I probably see rougher water than most on here as it is common for 60'+ boats to come plowing down the river I'm on. I used the same snubbers for 3 years, then replaced them and the lines at the same time. I never had a line break and my boat never contacted the dock/pilings.

14 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

We used one of these last year. Worked great!

http://d-j-products.com/dock-buddy/

I've always found that any type of bumper mounted directly to dock (rather than the boat) will tend to scratch more. Those stationary bumpers don't move "with" the boat, but rather "against" the boat. Also they pick up more sand, pollen & debris from the water and get dirty faster (or don't get cleaned off as often as a fender you're going to remove each time you use the boat).

I have used the redneck 20$ whip system for a couple years. First year was all summer before i got a lift, then for lunch time or overnight instead of using the lift for a quick tie up.

Basically the lines go from the rear dock cleat through the pvc pipe, then boat cleat, then to the front dock cleat, and vice versa. It prevents the boat from getting close to the dock and from moving forward or backwards. I use tennis balls on the ends of the pvc pipe to protect the dock and the boat.

Screenshot_20180410-141433.png

I second the reference to exile buoy balls.  I use them during our summer vacations leaving the boat at a dock for a week.  I've never had one break.

20 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

Is there any rational reason not to use whips?  I am not a big fan of them in really bad situations, but I guess I am not a fan of my boat being in the water if possible in bad situations.  

BABz or Exile balls.  Google them.  Bigger than your typical bumper pads, and less rough on the exterior so they don't scuff either.  I am not sure I would leave them for extended periods in case one popped, but I think it is a good place to start.  

@JotsT22....if you decide on something like the exile balls, these new BABZ balls are bigger (can inflate to 24") and IMO tougher, very heavy duty feeling yet soft and they say it wont scuff boat like some fenders do. 15% discount on them right now using code "tigelove18" (no CAPS in coupon code). I bought 4 of them a few months ago and am impressed with the quality. Easy to inflate/deflate too....either with lungs or with blower.

• Like 2