Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Coupler latch lock

G Spot

The coupler latch on my new trailer is wider than the latch on my prior Boatmate trailer, causing my old lock to not work. The new trailer latch is 3" wide.

My old lock was a Masterlock, which seemed sufficient to secure the trailer to the truck. Does anyone have a lock they've been happy with? 

Here's the best one I can find so far, however it's going to have a lot of slop which isn't preferable.

Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 4.36.16 PM.png

Just get whatever one is cheapest and fits.  Even the expensive ones can be defeated in a few seconds.  You just need something to deter the common crook passing by.  If some one is specifically looking to steal your boat a lock won't help. 

3 hours ago, G Spot said:

The coupler latch on my new trailer is wider than the latch on my prior Boatmate trailer, causing my old lock to not work. The new trailer latch is 3" wide.

My old lock was a Masterlock, which seemed sufficient to secure the trailer to the truck. Does anyone have a lock they've been happy with? 

Here's the best one I can find so far, however it's going to have a lot of slop which isn't preferable.

Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 4.36.16 PM.png

I have this lock, it works okay and will help with the common thief. If someone really wants your boat or trailer, sorry to say but a lock will not stop them. 

6 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

That’s for a round hitch coupler and a very nice lock, I think this is about the straight bar that goes through the square coupler

8 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

I've had this one for 5 or so years. Been very happy with it's operation. I might consider filing the lock part flat (currently curved) to provide a better fit.

The lock I'm looking for replaces the pin for when the trailer is connected to the vehicle.

10 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

I Have a similar one for my boatmate with the slack extra length , if they fit tight they would be almost undefeatable

Yea, my old one fit really tight on the trailer. Not crazy about the slop. Like you said, that will make it easier to break/cut off.

On April 7, 2018 at 7:44 PM, vanamp said:

Just get whatever one is cheapest and fits.  Even the expensive ones can be defeated in a few seconds.  You just need something to deter the common crook passing by.  If some one is specifically looking to steal your boat a lock won't help. 

I hear you, although I suspect it provides more than a few seconds of protection...

When I was a kid, someone messed with many of the trailers at the ramp. After the first few trailers (loaded with boat) popped off the hitch on the way up the ramp, people caught on, but it was a real mess and obviously very dangerous. One of the ones that popped off was my parents friends, but it happened several miles away after hitting a bump on the highway. No Bueno..

No matter how much I coach my wife to inspect the vehicle and trailer before we reload, having this lock provides me some relief.

The ones from Boltlock.com, you set the lock to your truck's key, no extra key needed.

Locks are locks, they keep the honest people honest and kids from screwing with your stuff.

If you’re trying to keep it locked to your truck I’d just get a heavy duty pad lock and put it on your safety chains to the truck. The pins in the coupler can be bent back so easily.... Forgot the key once but had a pair of pliers:whistle:

Edited by Cole2001