Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tips on taking ‘16 LSV Wakesetter to Destin Area

ReunionMalibu

Would appreciate some advice tips on the following:

1).  Using boat in saltwater for first time. Research says fine but rinse outside and in thoroughly

2).   Any recommendations for marinas in Destin, Florida area particularly in 30A area.  Santa Rosa Besch.  

If you are military or retired the Army has a MWR hotel basically right across the street from the wharf. Very secure, very good cost for what you get, pet friendly and they have a launch, charter boat and rentals but I don’t think they have slips except for their boats. I would be extremely nervous about boating there with a DD or VD without knowing the area. I have seen a few local MC putting around the wharf area. Crab Island on the North side of the bridge from the wharf is a local hang out. No pet friendly beaches in that area.

The trailer is a looser after saltwater. You will want to flush everything!  The inside of the trailer rails just can't get flushed as good as one would like. 

On 4/7/2018 at 4:02 PM, ReunionMalibu said:

Would appreciate some advice tips on the following:

1).  Using boat in saltwater for first time. Research says fine but rinse outside and in thoroughly

2).   Any recommendations for marinas in Destin, Florida area particularly in 30A area.  Santa Rosa Besch.  

There’s a monster strap launch or they use large fork lifts fir the go fast boats at a popular restaurant bar on the beginning of the inner harbor ,   I forget the name .  It’s your trailer that’s the biggest problem , if you can avoid using ballast then your rinsing/washing will help s bunch. I have a transom flush.  Marina launch  usage,  other than a public launch on the north part of destin by a campground past airport snd through the neighborhood bordering the southeastern bay opening past crab island on the water  to the right,  is not easy. They do have s washing station but that wait can be extensive . They have reasonable truck/Trailer parking there. 

On another trip  I had to park my trailer,  after I launched my boat to moor it by my condo’s harbor , east of town at a large boat storage marina place.  Many of the boating condos send you there 

hsving sun warmed camping shower bags and shower tube outlets are nice to fresh water rinse humans and the boat while on the water. It’d not that they are for sun, it’s that they have s shower nozzle tube snd hold slot of fresh water

i dont plan to do destin trips again till my new fresh water boat is 10 years old in 24’. ??  I do have a painted galvsnized Trailer for my brack water and then the eventual salt trips 

if you use the ballast , fill it from top of sacs and if you have piggy back it will fill and rinse your tanks as well, your center tank independent of front sac could be accessed from under neath boat and it has threads for a flushing mount like the transom flush set up so you don’t turn hose.  

Give yourself plenty time leaving water early to get all some of it done each day .  Problem is all the responsible boat owners leave early to get to the wash .  If they let you bring boat into Condo area do it there .  Problem most condos don’t allow you to enter daily with boat. Just day of arrival and departure 

Edited by granddaddy55

THE only decent riding or skiing water is on the North east end of bay on some short bayous or the intercoastal to the east end of bay on less windy days by Ft Walton, not sure of the launches there but you can cruise to there snd not launch there. It’s a nice cruise east in intercoastal and do some island beach hopping with the family.  Also nice cruises along upper bayous and rivers to look at homes and the small pretty back lagoons,