Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

shopping for wakesurf board

JohnnyBravo

I need that very same advice, so any help much appreciated! I've never tried it. I'm 6' and 170lbs and also looking a good board that is easy to learn on but will allow progression on into intermediate/advanced type surfing.

(sorry to interject on your thread, but thought I'd tag along for the ride)

peace.

I ride behind the V-ride and love the wakesurf wake. Mo people and Mo weight. I ride the Hyperlite landlock original version not the newer long board style and that board is great for beginners to advanced. Also have the Hyperlite Coex for 360's and kickflip tricks. Hyperlite broadcast the inbetween board for both. Have a newer Phase 5 prop that is very nice also. It really depends on how you like to ride (either skim style or surf style) or maybe both. Your weight should not be a problem on any of the boards I have listed. Some of the others out there are Inland surfer, trick boardzs, and probably 20 more by now. The better surfing menuvers you know or can learn the better, and the skateboard background helps. Good luck and you should try out somebody's board before you sink down the cash to make sure it's what you want in a board.

Wakeup- I am very close to you and you are more than welcome to try any of my boards if you like some weekend or even during the week just give me a shout.

We have a couple of inland surfers - yellow and blue - both fun boards but ride very different. Also have the 06 Landlock - I really liked it for hang fives and such but the fins are crap and broke in the beginning of the summer and LF said they would send a new one months ago. Last I heard the are still on "backorder" - very poor design on the fins.

We also ride a ocean surf board - Rip Curl 6'8" - it is a great board for carving all over the wake - we can ride that one forever.

Other boards are XBC (Xtreme Board Co) - they make more of a ocean style board (same construction as ocean boards - foam blank and glass) and have heard lots of good things about them. Shred Stixx also has been making boards for years and years.

As for ropes, pretty much any of the surf ropes out there will do the trick. Good luck - its very addicting!

I ride behind the V-ride and love the wakesurf wake. Mo people and Mo weight. I ride the Hyperlite landlock original version not the newer long board style and that board is great for beginners to advanced. Also have the Hyperlite Coex for 360's and kickflip tricks. Hyperlite broadcast the inbetween board for both. Have a newer Phase 5 prop that is very nice also. It really depends on how you like to ride (either skim style or surf style) or maybe both. Your weight should not be a problem on any of the boards I have listed. Some of the others out there are Inland surfer, trick boardzs, and probably 20 more by now. The better surfing menuvers you know or can learn the better, and the skateboard background helps. Good luck and you should try out somebody's board before you sink down the cash to make sure it's what you want in a board.

Wakeup- I am very close to you and you are more than welcome to try any of my boards if you like some weekend or even during the week just give me a shout.

Thanks! I may take you up on the offer since I'm just down the road at Gaston. I am going to try a few boards before I buy, and I'll check out the boards you mention. Right now I think I would be more surf style and then see where I go from there.

Had my Vride loaded down the other day and slowed it down to around 9-10mph to check out the possible surf wake. Not bad for just internal ballast and around 5 people.

How fast do you go on your boat for a good wakesurf? I have the 3 internal ballasts and the power wedge. I was planning to fill the center and back left ballast (I ride right foot forward) and put the wedge down and experiment.

hands down my vote is for the phase 5...get a bigger fin for learning then drop to the small fin when your ready to step up to the plate ;)

-krak

xbc makes great boards

hands down my vote is for the phase 5...get a bigger fin for learning then drop to the small fin when your ready to step up to the plate ;)

-krak

Ditto

I have 3 boards ( broadcast 5'6", 4'9", LF skimskate) at any given time on my boat and have riden many others. The best board that I have riden was HLN's phase 5 up at the norcal WOW, that thing was fast, loose and fun to do lip slides with dropping back into the pocket ropelesss. I like the LF skimskate 4'6" for lip slides and sitting in the pocket but its just a little to small for me.

I don't feel there is 1 board that will get you up and progress into a better rider. For me I will always have 2 boards. One for beginner/cruiser and a fast hard carving board. I'm still looking for a great priced phase 5.

I have a CWB Ride and it is a great beginner/intermediate board. When everyone brings their boards, they still end up on mine. 3 removeable fins in the back which depending on what you take out will allow you to change up the riding style and a single fin in front for when you break out a 180. This board is spinnable but at 5'3" a smaller board will do better if your looking for lots of spins.

Misc.jpg

Edited by db252

Thanks! I may take you up on the offer since I'm just down the road at Gaston. I am going to try a few boards before I buy, and I'll check out the boards you mention. Right now I think I would be more surf style and then see where I go from there.

Had my Vride loaded down the other day and slowed it down to around 9-10mph to check out the possible surf wake. Not bad for just internal ballast and around 5 people.

How fast do you go on your boat for a good wakesurf? I have the 3 internal ballasts and the power wedge. I was planning to fill the center and back left ballast (I ride right foot forward) and put the wedge down and experiment.

9-10 MPH is probably too slow for your boat. I usually only have three or so people out with me at a time and some small kids. I fill passenger side rear ballast tank, a 750lb fat sack half filled on top of that, wedge down (Manual), and depending on how many people I have on the boat weather I fill the center balast tank up or not. Every one in the boat sits on the passenger side as far back as possible and when It's guys only somebody or two will sit on the back sunpad over the rear locker. The center ballast tank is tricky, when I have two people with me the center tank mushes the wake out but makes a nice lip when I have more than 8 people with me. This configuration gets me a very nice wave!! I have a budy of mine with an 03' wakesetter that comes out sometimes and we will surf behind both boats at the same time. That is awsome but very tricky to do correct, when done right the wave is very big and lets you accoplish alot more tricks. Good luck and PM me sometime when you are ready to ride. My ride stays on a lift in the water at all times so if you dont care to travel with yours mine is quick to jump into. by the way my speed is usually around 10.6 MPH with two people and around 11.4 with alot of people.

Edited by BuggsIsland06vride
I was planning to fill the center and back left ballast (I ride right foot forward) and put the wedge down and experiment.

u ride 'goofy' fo0ted...the correct way :) ...u will have a better time learning toeside...i recommend filling the starboard tanks

-krak

I was planning to fill the center and back left ballast (I ride right foot forward) and put the wedge down and experiment.

u ride 'goofy' fo0ted...the correct way :) ...u will have a better time learning toeside...i recommend filling the starboard tanks

-krak

Yep, you are right! I meant to say back right tank. Thanks.

Now that I have a little more info, I never knew there were so many boards out there for surfin behind a boat. Looks like a lot of fun, especially after wakeboarding all day.

I have not purchased my VLX yet but have water tested it at 10.4 mph with full ballast on the port side wedge down & up. The pocket looks longer & better with the manual wedge down. I still have to surf it but the wake looks excellent.

I have a Inland Surfer Red Tide & Hyperlite Broadcast 5'6" in my boat. I am selling the Broadcast BTW because I am 260lbs & it is a little too small for me. I love my red tide but it is also double the cost of any of the Hyperlite's, Liquid Force or CWB boards. I don't know if anyone just starting out should spend over $400.00 for a surf board but I will say that sizing is the most important thing. You need to pick a board based on your size. Then you need to work on weight placement in your boat to create a nice clean wake with a good long pocket. The length of the pocket is more important to me vs. the wake height/size.

Get the right board, then work on moving weight around your boat until you get nice push behind the boat at 10-11 moh, good luck!

I have not purchased my VLX yet but have water tested it at 10.4 mph with full ballast on the port side wedge down & up. The pocket looks longer & better with the manual wedge down. I still have to surf it but the wake looks excellent.

I have a Inland Surfer Red Tide & Hyperlite Broadcast 5'6" in my boat. I am selling the Broadcast BTW because I am 260lbs & it is a little too small for me. I love my red tide but it is also double the cost of any of the Hyperlite's, Liquid Force or CWB boards. I don't know if anyone just starting out should spend over $400.00 for a surf board but I will say that sizing is the most important thing. You need to pick a board based on your size. Then you need to work on weight placement in your boat to create a nice clean wake with a good long pocket. The length of the pocket is more important to me vs. the wake height/size.

Get the right board, then work on moving weight around your boat until you get nice push behind the boat at 10-11 moh, good luck!

Flotation also makes a big difference. A bigger person can get away with a slightly smaller board if it's got more flotation (which the Hyperlite boards do not have).