Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 D3 X5

Rip6@36

We've been talking about my new ski in PMs and I though it would be fun to throw out some observations on the my 2006 D3 X5.

As a baseline:

I'm 45, 175 lbs 6' tall. I've been skiing the course for about 6 years. My first ski was the KD 7000, then the HO CDX and now the D3 X5. My boots are Animal SuperFeet and I am LFF. I'm skiing 34 mph and running into 35 off this year. Not my best year, but I'm not getting any younger. Biggrin.gif

I really like the D3. I ran 32 off right out of the box and have been playing with fin set-up the last few times out. It came .020 forward and right on nominal for length and depth. Wing is at 7 degrees. I moved the fin back to .750 and didn't like the feel so I split the difference and am now at .760. As a comparison, I had to raise the tip and lower the tail on the CDX to get it where I needed it to perform. I can give you the exact numbers if anyone is interested in where I finally settled on the CDX numbers.

Compared to the CDX:

-The D3 seeks an edge much more than the CDX.

-The D3 rides much flatter in the water. This really felt strange to me after 3 seasons on the CDX.

-The CDX turns tighter. The D3 is designed with a flat spot under the boots which makes it very stable in the turn, but the CDX comes around much faster. I can't kick (or I have not figured out how to) the D3 around the turn like I can the CDX. Not a good thing to do anyway, but it helps sometimes when you are behind.

-The D3 is faster across the wakes.

-Generally speaking, the D3 67.5" ski feels much smaller than my 68" CDX. Galaxy Toad confirmed that his D3 X5 feels smaller as well.

-I felt 100% confident in the ski right out of the box. Sometimes it takes a few passes to feel comfortable with a new ski. I demo'd several Goode skis and it always took me a few passes to have faith in the ski.

I would highly recommend this ski for anyone looking for a very consistent ski side to side. It wants to be on edge and is fast, so it is not for the faint of heart. I would say it is a 7 on a scale of 10 relative to speed (compared to the Goode, Monza and Carbonworx I have skied). Its a 10 in turn stability.

I didn't demo the D3 Nomad because our site is fairly rough most of the time and Paul at D3 recommended the X5. The people at D3 scored a big 10 for support. My ski partners that have skied the D3 give it two thumbs up. They are on HO Phantoms.

I have been on the D3 for a little over a year and I have to agree with Rip6s review. I haven't skied on as many different skis because it is hard to find them in big boy size (68.5) but I have been very happy on the X5 and find it to be fast and forgiving. I have picked up a full pass since getting on the ski.

My only basis for comparison in a competition level ski is the Connelly F1 which I skied in a 70" and it was awful. To me it felt sluggish and unresponsive. That said in a 68" it might have been great.

Good review Rip! At 45 you're not even close to being "age limited" Look at the big dawg competitors- they're all in M4 and running around 45-55 yrs old and getting through multiple rnds at 38 off.

I agree with your assesment 100% and I've riden all the skis you listed. About the "kick around" though. You're right here too, however, the way you accomplish the same thing is you climb up the front of the X5 to load the tip of the ski and then it's a timing thing to get your weight back for the pull. Do this and I am betting you will feel like it comes around tighter the the CDX and is easier to keep it in front of you afte the boat hooks up with you.

If the X5 is a seven( I think that's pretty close too) the others you mentioned are 9's across the wake.

We've been talking about my new ski in PMs and I though it would be fun to throw out some observations on the my 2006 D3 X5.

As a baseline:

I'm 45, 175 lbs 6' tall. I've been skiing the course for about 6 years. My first ski was the KD 7000, then the HO CDX and now the D3 X5. My boots are Animal SuperFeet and I am LFF. I'm skiing 34 mph and running into 35 off this year. Not my best year, but I'm not getting any younger. Biggrin.gif

I really like the D3. I ran 32 off right out of the box and have been playing with fin set-up the last few times out. It came .020 forward and right on nominal for length and depth. Wing is at 7 degrees. I moved the fin back to .750 and didn't like the feel so I split the difference and am now at .760. As a comparison, I had to raise the tip and lower the tail on the CDX to get it where I needed it to perform. I can give you the exact numbers if anyone is interested in where I finally settled on the CDX numbers.

Compared to the CDX:

-The D3 seeks an edge much more than the CDX.

-The D3 rides much flatter in the water. This really felt strange to me after 3 seasons on the CDX.

-The CDX turns tighter. The D3 is designed with a flat spot under the boots which makes it very stable in the turn, but the CDX comes around much faster. I can't kick (or I have not figured out how to) the D3 around the turn like I can the CDX. Not a good thing to do anyway, but it helps sometimes when you are behind.

-The D3 is faster across the wakes.

-Generally speaking, the D3 67.5" ski feels much smaller than my 68" CDX. Galaxy Toad confirmed that his D3 X5 feels smaller as well.

-I felt 100% confident in the ski right out of the box. Sometimes it takes a few passes to feel comfortable with a new ski. I demo'd several Goode skis and it always took me a few passes to have faith in the ski.

I would highly recommend this ski for anyone looking for a very consistent ski side to side. It wants to be on edge and is fast, so it is not for the faint of heart. I would say it is a 7 on a scale of 10 relative to speed (compared to the Goode, Monza and Carbonworx I have skied). Its a 10 in turn stability.

I didn't demo the D3 Nomad because our site is fairly rough most of the time and Paul at D3 recommended the X5. The people at D3 scored a big 10 for support. My ski partners that have skied the D3 give it two thumbs up. They are on HO Phantoms.