Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Solar battery charger?

bm11

As some of you may recall, my new 2017 23LSV experienced a number of low voltage related issues last summer. I'm having the batteries upgraded while it is being stored, but still many recommend charging. I just had a quote to run power down to my dock and it was WAY more than I was willing to part with, but a friend suggested a solar charger, something I had never even considered or heard of.

Anyone have any experience with one?

-Bob

I briefly looked at it.  My plan was to build a small platform that would mount atop the tower and supplement the bimini.  The top would have the solar panel and I would also incorporate some downwash courtesy and night accent lighting (just because) but to find one that fit perfectly for what I wanted was difficult.  Keep in mind that you MUST have a controller for the solar panel.  Having said that, it was definitely worth it if I were going to be storing it outside often.  Seems like for around $200 you could find a decent 100watt automatic setup.

Careful on charge regulators the vast majority are junk and are a positive ground for (isolated systems) and will cause havoc.. a small detail not always advertised.. 

We take a few camping trips per year to a lake where I can't plug in anywhere like I do at home. I looked into solar chargers last year then quickly realized we run the boat in the day and need to recharge at night lol. 

Glad to hear some of you made it work. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, bm11 said:

I'm upgrading the batteries to Northstar 220 reserve 31 AGM's so I shouldn't have to charge every time I run it, and I don't run my boat every day.

Right, I think a solar setup is a great idea for you.