Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Clean wake @ slow speed

malcontent

My kids go slow, say 15 mph. Is there a way to get a clean wake at low speed? It doesn't need to be big. For example, will the power wedge help or any ballast? I've got an 06 wakesetter vlx. Thanks.

I just moved my kids up from 15 to 17 mph because 15 is very tough to get clean. I found that no rear ballast, no wedge and weight in the front only works as well as can be expected at the slower speeds.

I don't have a power wedge, so I can't speak for that. You might play with the settings to see if you can get it to clean up. FWIW, I haven't found a weight combo that will clean it up at that speed, weight just seems to make it worse. 18 is about the best starting speed that I've found as far as a really clean nice wake, even 17 on our '06 isn't great.

Take out all the ballast and bring the wedge fully up. You aren't going to be able to get the wake perfect, but any extra ballast is just going to make it worse at that speed. If they are not jumping the wake, then the washy wake might be a bonus because it is easier to cross over wash than a firm wake.

Yet another benifit of a DD Tongue.gif

Welcome back Yahoo.gif

I have an 06 VLX with ballast and a power wedge and my 7 year old daughter boards at 15, we have tried every combo and have found that no ballast and wedge all the way down gives her a pretty clean wake. She rides normal not goofy and heal side is really good but toe side is a little washed out but can be fixed with moving people around in the boat.

Yet another benifit of a DD Tongue.gif

Welcome back Yahoo.gif

I have an 06 VLX with ballast and a power wedge and my 7 year old daughter boards at 15, we have tried every combo and have found that no ballast and wedge all the way down gives her a pretty clean wake. She rides normal not goofy and heal side is really good but toe side is a little washed out but can be fixed with moving people around in the boat.

That's the thing that we've found to be the best solution. You just have to have a crew willing to move back & forth with the rider.