Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dealer refuses to service boat?

gmab

I have never bought a boat from servicing dealer, but I go out of my way to do right by them on service/gear. In return they definitely hook me up even if my boat isnt the newest/purchased from them. I think it has a lot to do with who you contact at the dealer. If i was this guy I would try talking to some one else at the shop whether it be owner/shop manager/pro shop guy. One of them should pull some strings to work you in even if slammed as one of them will have a motivation to win you over.

19 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Because Malibu is the only manufacturer doing this??   :surprised:

Dealers have a right to do business with whoever they want.

No. If it's in the Malibu dealer contract to service these boats, Malibu should enforce it or pull their franchise.

35 minutes ago, MadMan said:

No. If it's in the Malibu dealer contract to service these boats, Malibu should enforce it or pull their franchise.

Along with Mastercraft, Cobalt, Carver, etc., right?

Well, guess what. Thats not the case these days.

On 4/3/2018 at 1:12 PM, TenTwentyOne said:

@TallRedRider

The “we don’t make money on warranty work” line, is complete BS. 

They make less, because the dealer doesn’t make a 100% markup profit on parts, and the labor is paid on a flat rate amount for the job being performed (with boats some jobs are flat rate, and some are not)

basically, they lose the ability to make easy money with huge margins. They still get the shop rate, and still make money, unless their tech is completely incompetent (which is not uncommon)

the money they lose is the difference between having the tech work on warranty or having the tech doing regular work...like it or not, that is a loss of revenue.

I wouldn't want anyone working on my boat that was forced to do so.  It's a bad situation all around, but I think the best you can do is notify Malibu and find a different dealer, even if they are miles away.

As to whether it's the right thing for them to do, legally depends on what their contract says, business wise there's a lot of things that play into the right decision for the dealer.

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Along with Mastercraft, Cobalt, Carver, etc., right?

Well, guess what. Thats not the case these days.

Wasn't really talking about Mastercraft, Cobalt, Carver, etc., only Malibu.  But if these others operate the same way, it's their fault too.

After reading this thread it's obvious that boat dealers and warranties do not work like car dealers and warranties.  Too bad.

Since my boat is far from a Malibu dealer I'm glad I have a low tech boat with a good drive train mechanic (knows Merc, Indmar, PCM, etc.) on the lake with whom I have a good relationship.  All the extras are self installed and "low tech" so I know how to fix 'em.  Would I ever pay extra for a boat under warranty?  Not sure.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
1 minute ago, minnmarker said:

After reading this thread it's obvious that boat dealers and warranties do not work like car dealers and warranties.  Too bad.

Since my boat is far from a Malibu dealer I'm glad I have a low tech boat with a good drive train mechanic (knows Merc, Indmar, PCM, etc.) on the lake with whom I have a good relationship.  All the extras are self installed and "low tech" so I know how to fix 'em.  Would I ever pay extra for a boat under warranty?  Not sure.

Even though I just had to wait 3 weeks to have a recall performed on our Jeep. Dealers in our area were that booked. It wasn't hindering performance, although it could have. It was the water shield for the brake booster...

57 minutes ago, MadMan said:

Wasn't really talking about Mastercraft, Cobalt, Carver, etc., only Malibu.  But if these others operate the same way, it's their fault too.

It's the way the industry currently works. I knew that buying the boat & made plans to deal with it. Calling out one manufacturer is not going to change much.

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

It's the way the industry currently works. I knew that buying the boat & made plans to deal with it. Calling out one manufacturer is not going to change much.

Just because others do it is no excuse (that's what little kids do). 

1 hour ago, MadMan said:

Just because others do it is no excuse (that's what little kids do). 

But knowing it exists and making plans to deal with it isn't.

Your right. Is that how you got your name?

2 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

But knowing it exists and making plans to deal with it isn't.

Your right. Is that how you got your name?

Well... it happens across all brands.... and not just boats.. High end cars is the same way.. with customer preferential applied as well... 

Planning for it is what you have to do to protect yourself... 

Friend bought a non Malibu from a different region.. Dealership here won't provide him ANY (not just warranty work.. any work,,) services because he did not purchase here.. It is also noted that the vast majority will give customers who purchased from them cuts in line over non sales customers.. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Chia said:

the money they lose is the difference between having the tech work on warranty or having the tech doing regular work...like it or not, that is a loss of revenue.

Umm..... turning away work (Even if it is a smaller margin), is a loss of revenue. Even if the margin was $10.00,  you are still better off than refusing the work.

If you don't have the help to get through the work load, it's not a customer problem, it's a dealer problem. If they need more help, they should get it, or maybe stop being so stingy about OT. Lots of employees will jump at the chance to make some time and a half...... or at least up here in the NE they will.

39 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Many dealerships are seasonal work. They can't get techs hired, trained & working fast enough for the flood of work that comes in the spring & fall, then lay them off over the summer & winter. The year just isn't long enough or enough guys who will do that kind of work. So most dealerships will hire the number of techs that they think they can keep working all year long, and stagger the business out as long as possible. Of course people want their boats in the summer & find it difficult to transport them in the winter so the work ends up getting booked thru the spring & fall.... all at once.

It sounds like you'd be a great GM. You should give it a go, solve this problem for everyone. Obviously most dealers haven't figured it out. But you sure have.

There are dealers that have it figured out, and do very well. There are even dealers that welcome the extra work of doing warranty repairs on other brands, that they don’t even sell, because they are certified to work on the same brand of engine.

i have a day job already, but thank you. Ironically, my day job is running a business that is no less seasonal than running a marina/dealership. Yet, we never turn business away, no matter if the customers buy from our competitors as well. We also have to adhere to a much stricter timeline than any dealer would. We get it done on time, every time.

With the nature of my business, the timelines we have to follow, and the fact that we can’t ever push back a schedule, or not deliver on time....... just makes me laugh about the poor boat dealership and their sob stories in the spring and fall. 

(All due respect to the boat dealers and their hard 8 hour day)

Edited by TenTwentyOne
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Many dealerships are seasonal work. They can't get techs hired, trained & working fast enough for the flood of work that comes in the spring & fall, then lay them off over the summer & winter. The year just isn't long enough or enough guys who will do that kind of work. So most dealerships will hire the number of techs that they think they can keep working all year long, and stagger the business out as long as possible. Of course people want their boats in the summer & find it difficult to transport them in the winter so the work ends up getting booked thru the spring & fall.... all at once.

It sounds like you'd be a great GM. You should give it a go, solve this problem for everyone. Obviously most dealers haven't figured it out. But you sure have.

That makes a lot of sense and now that I think about it I know the Nautique dealer here has had trouble getting/ keeping good mechanics.  With limited resources you take care of your best customers first but this is really raining on my dream of one day picking up on of @Ronnie or @IXFE 1 year old boats. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

There are dealers that have it figured out, and do very well. There are even dealers that welcome the extra work of doing warranty repairs on other brands, that they don’t even sell, because they are certified to work on the same brand of engine.

i have a day job already, but thank you. Ironically, my day job is running a business that is no less seasonal than running a marina/dealership. Yet, we never turn business away, no matter if the customers buy from our competitors as well. We also have to adhere to a much stricter timeline than any dealer would. We get it done on time, every time.

With the nature of my business, the timelines we have to follow, and the fact that we can’t ever push back a schedule, or not deliver on time....... just makes me laugh about the poor boat dealership and their sob stories in the spring and fall. 

(All due respect to the boat dealers and their hard 8 hour day)

Eight hour day :lol: :rofl:

2 hours ago, wakebrdr94 said:

Eight hour day :lol: :rofl:

Right. No dealer I ever worked for had an 8 hr day. In fact, I have gotten out of it more than once because the hours suck so badly. I can make better money, all year long, and get to ride more in the spring, summer & fall when I work OUTSIDE of the industry. It's hilarious to think of so many guys who know how to run a dealership better than they do. I've skied & worked for 3 dealerships now, all of which have a large customer base on this forum. We busted our butts to do it & these guys know how to do it better.