Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Kids on Boat Best Practices

ahopkins22LSV

ahopkins22LSV

So I kinda asked this question about this time last year, but figured I would start a new thread to share best practices. Wife is actually interested about what everyone on here has to say! She typically feels this is a huge waste of time and costs us money.. no idea why she feels that way :blush::lol: 

She specifically wants to know what everyone on here has used for diapers in the boat. Any specific kind that is OK with the water? Diaper management best practices? <--- :lol: Sounds like I am asking questions in a work meeting....

The joys of having little ones!

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
  • Like 1

If the baby is not getting in the water, stick with your regular diapers and have some of those individual diaper disposal bags that are scented and you can tie off to help with the smell for dirty diapers.  If getting in the water, really any swim diapers will work and don't balloon up like regular diapers when wet. Keep in mind the swim diapers don't contain a mess as well as a regular diaper.  Our kids loved boats from their first time at 8 months and the sound of the engine with the rocking would quickly put them to sleep.

• Like 2

Don’t leave the baby strapped in the truck while launching just in case. We found it best to leave the car seat off the boat as well. Better air circulation for the baby and less potential for the car seat to get wet or in the way. Can make a bed out of towels/blankets under the dash. Diaper advice above is spot on. 

• Like 2

For naps, you can lift up the observers seat back to help shade.  Put a noodle in a towel that has been folded in half and lay the baby on that to help keep them from rolling off the seat.  

As they get older a 1 gallon bucket makes a great toilet for when they are potty training.  My daughter likes to use the wedge door on the swim platform too, just for peeing.  

Edited by blk93jeepzj

We kept a small spray bottle on the boat, to mist the kids when they were at that young age.  Little mist every 20mins or so kept them happy and cool.  Even gave them a spray when they were sleeping.

All food is consumed on swim platform to minimize crumbs in seat seams, carpet, etc...

Regular diapers while on the boat. When she is going to go in the water, skip the diaper / swim pants / swim diaper if she has recently soiled her diaper. Just put her in her cute little swim suit and get a regular diaper back on her when she comes out. She is so young, she probably will only go in and get wet for a little bit at a time, then get back out, then back in and on and on:lol:.

If its been a while since she's gone and you want something on her in the water, I had the best luck with the little swimmers diapers. Bring several suits in case and lotsa plastic bags and wipes.

When docking, the kids have to sit on the side away from the dock, less chance of sticking their hands between the boat and dock.

Kids don't get to touch the ski rope, too many accidents involved with that line.

Kids are only allowed to get me a beer in a can, no glass for obvious reasons....

• Like 3
5 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

Lifejackets for kids on the boat, and on docks.

AT ALL TIMES, Regardless of age.....ie 3 or 4 months old jacket.....

+1 on the rope. Told my kids from day one that no kids are ever to touch a tow rope unless I tell them too. (even if it's sitting on the seat this is my rule)

+1 on docking rules, my kids have to be seated and silent while docking and pulling on the hoist or trailer. They are conditioned to it now and will tell their friends to be quite if they aren't following the rule.

Edited by Raimie

If your little one is a binky baby, be sure to bring a couple extra. For some reason kids like to throw them in the water... and most will sink...very quickly.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

So I kinda asked this question about this time last year, but figured I would start a new thread to share best practices. Wife is actually interested about what everyone on here has to say! She typically feels this is a huge waste of time and costs us money.. no idea why she feels that way :blush::lol: 

She specifically wants to know what everyone on here has used for diapers in the boat. Any specific kind that is OK with the water? Diaper management best practices? <--- :lol: Sounds like I am asking questions in a work meeting....

Are you a manager somewhere? 

Check out the baby bijou for a life jacket.  Our little ones loved it!  Always comfortable in it and never wanting to take it off.  

And just to clarify, the puddle jumpers aren’t to be worn for Watersports.  But do count in the boat.  I bet your new addition will still be a bit small for one though.  

Amd when the time comes, a ZUP is a great way to get the kids comfortable with being behind the boat.  

ahopkins22LSV
55 minutes ago, Lees23 said:

Are you a manager somewhere? 

Ha.. no... but I lead enough meetings trying to corral cats that I feel like I should be at least paid as one! ;) 

Great input by all so far. Keep it coming! I can’t wait to get out on the water in some warm weather. Hopefully this thread can help many other besides myself as well. 

15 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Sunscreen fully before coming aboard.  Come aboard when asked.  Sit still in one place.  No food.  No standing unless Captain grants permission.  Speak when spoken to.  

;)            j/k.  I do take boating safety seriously, and do say whatever the driver says goes, immediately, as it may be a safety issue, and have some other safety rules.  But look for the ability to say yes otherwise, and can go ahead and vacuum after boating so food is just fine, and I don't get too, too anal otherwise.  I also look for every opportunity to teach my kids, as I think knowing how to boat properly and safely has been very good for me, and has made me a more aware driver, snowskier, cyclist, etc.  One just has to be aware in a boat.  IMO.

I'm not a big fan of sunscreen. My kids almost always wear bucket hats with a strap and uv shirts.

www.sundayafternoons.com for the hats.

Also, bombers make great kids sunglasses that float.

IMG_20170731_165740700_HDR.jpg

Edited by Raimie