Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Floating wedge on 2002 23xti

Martymonaro

Hi, I have a 2002 23 xti and was surfing with wedge down, hit a stump and ended with a large hold in the rear of the boat. It was fixed through insurance and they fitted a new floating wedge but when i took the boat out there was a massive spray coming up through the timber deck. When I checked the wedge after I noticed it was angled down from horizontal when locked up and the top of the bracket was not parallel with the platform. Looking at later boats (2004) i see they changed the transum where mine is flat accross the back of the boat the later one steps in where the wedge bolts changing the angle. My question is does anyone know if they make a different bracket to suit my hull or do i havd to space the bottom out to correct angle?

Thanks Marty. 

By "timber deck" I assume that means your teak swim platform?

The wedge is typically angled down a bit, so that's normal.  Post a picture of what you are talking about.  I don't believe there has ever been more than one mounting bracket for the floating wedge.

IMG_0518

Here is a picture of the new wedge, see how in locked up position the wedge is angled and low and it deflects water at the swim platform giving a massive spray when moving along.

Also notice how the top of the bracket is not parallel with the fibreglass above it or swim platform.   

On 4/2/2018 at 3:00 PM, Martymonaro said:

So does anyone know if they do a floating wedge to suit my style hull?

I didn’t think they made a different malibu OEM floating/manual wedge.   I was able to put that same wedge on my old 2003 23 Lsv without issue - but it did sit differently like yours does and I know it was really close.   I remember it sprayed on occasion.    

Your best bet may be to space out the bottom, maybe try a few 1/2” SS washers and see how that does?   Between hull and bracket   Could always fab up a nice spacer or you may not even care if it works.   A little fudging is still worth it for that newer wedge over the other   

Ill look for a pic on my old boat to see if it helps

49B84732-4EE6-4015-8D42-87B666654A9B.jpeg.129e9ca16460cd87c033403773c60bf5.jpeg

not a great pic, but it should be same hull and same wedge.  I swapped out original.   It was very close...  Drilling a hole at top would definitely work but to do it right you’d have to fill in the other hole.    It was nice to pull it up in one shot.   I loved that wedge

• 2 weeks later...