Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bimini Issuez

15Mxz24

Yea, just reached out to them, they said i can't come ask for something 3 years later.. paid 130k for this boat nothing should be ruined for at least 5 years, barely use it too..

ahopkins22LSV

So did you ask them if it is covered under warranty? Or did you go in guns blazing and demand a new one?

If my memory serves me correctly 2015’s had a 3 year warranty. I don’t know if that covers canvas or not.

I was texting the guy who sold me the boat, calmly explained to him my issue, he's ignored me so far, also this was just this morning.. new to the forums but they seem to be great help! If anyone has any suggestions please I'm all ears!

2015 is a three year warranty. And canvas would be covered. Warranty starts from the day you take delivery so its possible you are still under warranty.

The canvas manufactures are a pain in the arze to deal with as far as warranty. And they never replace, always repair. 

Post some pics of the issue. 

Wish i was near the boat its out in storage in Az I'm here in Cali :/

But what you're saying is that i should be good correct? and yea I'm pulling up on my third season this summer boats only gone through 2 summers, boat was delivered to me in Az in May of 2016 

27 minutes ago, 15Mxz24 said:

Yea, just reached out to them, they said i can't come ask for something 3 years later.. paid 130k for this boat nothing should be ruined for at least 5 years, barely use it too..

To say nothing should be ruined for at least 5yrs is a big leap. Stuff happens. Canvas (covers and biminis) wears quick if outside alot. Ive seen people tow with the bimini open and the wonder why it shredded on them. 

For them to say you cant come back asking seems like it may not be a warranty issue. Example, if you picked the boat up and came back 6 months later claiming there is a cut in the top edge of a seat back. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, 15Mxz24 said:

Wish i was near the boat its out in storage in Az I'm here in Cali :/

But what you're saying is that i should be good correct? and yea I'm pulling up on my third season this summer boats only gone through 2 summers, boat was delivered to me in Az in May of 2016 

If youre the first owner the yes. Your warranty is good til May 2019. Who made the bimini, Commercial or Great Lakes? I would call them and see if you can send it to them directly for repair.

Edited by COOP
  • Like 1

Yea i hear you, i wish i had some pics you can see where the zipper is stitched to the boat, the stitches are coming out of the zipper, a little confusing but definitely an issue that should be taken care by malibu or who ever manufactures their bimini tops.

1 minute ago, COOP said:

If youre the first owner the yes. Your warranty is good til May 2019.

yea first owner, for sure man thanks much appreciated 

Well, the thing about it is that you should have contacted your dealer as soon as you noticed an issue with it. If you let it degrade, then suddenly show up saying "it's trashed", that's not a great strategy. Bimini tops are a tough one too, because there are warnings about max speed when towing, sun damage (I know you said it's not sun damage, but how does the dealer know?), etc...

I hope you'll get a good outcome and that they'll help you out in some way.

Ive sent many biminis back where the stiching was coming out. They will want you to take a pic of the tag on the top. Then they will send you an RMA. Once you send the them the top they will fix it. Usually fairly quick, two weeks or less. 

Just now, boardjnky4 said:

Well, the thing about it is that you should have contacted your dealer as soon as you noticed an issue with it. If you let it degrade, then suddenly show up saying "it's trashed", that's not a great strategy. Bimini tops are a tough one too, because there are warnings about max speed when towing, sun damage (I know you said it's not sun damage, but how does the dealer know?), etc...

I hope you'll get a good outcome and that they'll help you out in some way.

Thank you for the advice, i definetly should of taken care of it sooner, but just slipped my mind i guess, wish i had some pics!

Bimini canvas, boat covers, and gel coat are a one year warranty.  Same goes for new boats today.

only things not covered for 5 years.  Or 3 years prior to 2016.  Just an FYI

Edited by wakebrdr94

I have a 2014, last summer I washed/cleaned the bimini really well and water proofed it again (looked brand new when done) but when doing that, I saw some of the stitching was coming loose and I had a couple small tears starting. I took it by my upholster shop and asked them to go thru entire thing and double stitch every seam. They were done in a couple hours, was a very cheap fix and the bimini is easily twice as strong now. If you have a local place, might be something you wanna do.

Every spring I remove it and the boat cover..... wash them really well and then spray with water proofing. Keeps them looking new and shedding water like off a ducks back.

• 4 months later...

Infinitysurf, how do you go about washing and waterproofing? Any special steps? Hand wash? Etc...

Edited by Sabbathdaydelight
On 3/31/2018 at 12:19 AM, Infinitysurf said:

Every spring I remove it and the boat cover..... wash them really well and then spray with water proofing.

I’ll second @Sabbathdaydelight On the question. A quick google search brings up Star Brite. Anyone have recommendations? Or experience?