Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

A22 heater install advice

Canusa

MCrew, I have a 2013 A22 that does not have a factory heating system. I need some advice on which is the best aftermarket system to add and best location of the install for the heating unit. Pictures and unit recommend would be awesome! 

I have a 12 with a 3 outlet heater.  Most use the heatercore heater.  I believe your dash has the built in spots for the heater vents correct?  Personally, I wouldn't like to have them come out of the dash like that.  I have 2 snorkels and one vent.  One vent and one snorkel are in the sub panel.  The other snorkel is in the "crawl" through to the bow on the drivers side.  It easily reaches the spotter.  My heater is mounted behind the sub panel.  I don't have a sub, but I believe you can still have a box in there with the heater if you plan the space well.

Easiest kit is from Heatercraft. It will come with every part you need. You dont have to put the vents in the dash, you can put the snorkels in the walk thru and the vent next to the sub. Easiest way is to install everything under the drivers helm. We always use the kits that have the pump, that way when we winterize boats on our antifreeze tank the heater core get antifreeze as well as the motor.

Coop, thank you for the reply. When you say you install everything under the drivers helm do you have any photos? I’m trying to imagine what that looks like.  

Onwi, thank you for the tips! I do have a sub so I’ll have to pull it apart and see what is behind. Forgive my ignorance or lack of knowledge, so nothing in the heater install goes into the engine bay? It all can stay upfront talked underneath?

If you go with heater craft, the gen2 hot tubes don't fit in the dash without a little messing around. I had to use a Dremel tool to removes some excess fiberglass. It's do-able but they didn't just slip right in.

14 hours ago, Canusa said:

Onwi, thank you for the tips! I do have a sub so I’ll have to pull it apart and see what is behind. Forgive my ignorance or lack of knowledge, so nothing in the heater install goes into the engine bay? It all can stay upfront talked underneath?

There is plumbing that connects the heater to the hot water from your engine and a path for the used heater water to rejoin your effluent engine water, but that is it.  One thing to consider during your install is that some people like to have a quick point to completely disconnect the heater.  As part of winterization you have to get the water out of the core.  Most do this by simply blowing through the tube - you can hear the water exit the system.  This is easier to do if you have a quick disconnect.  Also, if you boat would be sold to someone who wouldn't use it - like a southern state user or a hot weather only user - they can quickly disconnect and bypass the heater removing the worry from having it freeze or break.  

And I'm guessing that your sub is the standard manufacturer installed unit.  Meaning - it is not in a box but just mounted free air on the panel.  This will mean that you have a bit more space.  But, if you ever wanted to boost the performance of your sub by putting it in a box this would be the time to do it.  Wouldn't want to have to redo the heater system if you wanted to do the sub fix later.  

does anyone know how MC and Naut split their heaters up into smaller tubes and run to more locations throughout the boat? is there another smaller "non pull out" port you can buy and with what size tubing? like 1" or something?

i have 2-heaters one main 3-core and another secondary 2-core. I was thinking about splittin up the second one into more smaller tubes and running them throughout the boat to near side cup holders and other spots. the larger hose is a PIA to go far so was thinking about some 1-1.5" flex tubing, probably further away and would have some pressure drop but who knows... seems like a fun way to spread the heat!

15 hours ago, Canusa said:

Coop, thank you for the reply. When you say you install everything under the drivers helm do you have any photos? I’m trying to imagine what that looks like.  

I do not. However, we will be installing one here in the next couple of weeks. I will take some pics when we do it.