Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Newbu questions

malcontent

Took delivery of an ’06 Wakesetter VLX (21.5’). I have some questions.

1. The trailer came with neither a safety cable to back up the winch strap nor stern straps. Is this typical? Do you use them?

2. The wakeboard racks attached to the Illusion tower wobble a bit. Is this normal? What size allen wrench is needed to tighten it up?

3) The boat was leased by the dealer to a camp for the summer. The dealer took it back fixed it up and sold it for a discount, but treated it as if it were new. On the sea trial, the speedo didn’t work. The culprit was the wire from the paddlewheel to the console. It was getting smashed by the gas tank when the boat accelerated and the tank slid back. We moved the wire and the speedo worked. The guy from the dealer left. Within an hour, the following happened. My wife was driving. I looked back and noticed the port side of the swim platform was no longer attached. We stopped the boat. The metal bracket attached to the swim platform had sheared. My buddy and I removed the swim platform (in the middle of the lake). We start back when we notice a jet of water 20 feet in the air. I figure out the power wedge is not all the way down. The spray of water is what caused the failure of the swim platform. The gauge shows the power wedge all the way up (I hadn’t used it). The dealer was good. They had a guy out the next day with a new platform and a new speedo. Boat seems to work great (still need to try the ballast). Has anyone heard of a failure like this with the swim platform?

Is there a post of the nature, all new owners, read this?

Thanks.

Welcome.gif Welcome to the site and to your new 'Bu.

I haven't heard of any issues like the ones you have had. Sounds like the camp may have been hard on the boat, but also sounds like your dealer is taking care of you.

I would want to make sure that the gas tank is good and secure. It shouldn't be shifting at all. Get the dealer on that.

1) Ours didn't come with straps either. You can pick them up at any marine store though...

2) the dealer gave us a large allen wrench to tighten the bottom bolts on the tower. The racks (Metcraft at least) are the same size. So ask about that wrench

Neither of mine came with the straps on the back. That's fairly common.

I'd have the gas tank checked out, it should not move.

That spray was caused by the wedge being UP, not down. At least on my SLxi, when the wedge was up, the tip of it would hit the water just enough to kick up the spray. People don't notice it because it just bounces off the platform.

Congrats on the new boat and good luck.

Oh, and welcome to the site. Where our motto is: "how can we help you spend your money"

Welcome to the board!!

I don’t have the safety chain on our trailer though if I did we’d certainly use it.

The wakeboard racks on the Illusion should wobble, although there is some play in the Illusion tower (side to side)

You purchased a boat that was sold as new since it was never sold in the first place. The boat camp may have been hard on it but nonetheless you are covered under the warranty. So make a list of issues that need to be resolved and work w/ the dealer to get them corrected asap.

You can get transom tiedowns at Wal Mart $35. Safety chain is a matter choice also, but Lowes or hardware store is a good choice, just make sure you get strong hooks. You can also pick up a cheap set of Allen wrench for tower, as you don't use them much. Wow that platform coming off is a different story, but a 10/50 hour check of screws and bolts should have caught that. Good luck on the boat!

The wakeboard racks on the Illusion should wobble, although there is some play in the Illusion tower (side to side)

You purchased a boat that was sold as new since it was never sold in the first place. The boat camp may have been hard on it but nonetheless you are covered under the warranty. So make a list of issues that need to be resolved and work w/ the dealer to get them corrected asap.

I think Mdude meant "shouldn't wobble" and I agree that you should get any/all of the little things resolved as soon as you can. How many hours does it have on it?

Did you buy it from Atlanta Inboard? If so, my guess is that they will continue to treat you right.

Welcome to the site and don't forget to post pics.