Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cover for trailering

RCorsa

Picking up my m235 next week.  Wondering how folks protect the front of the hull from rock chips etc while trailering?  I was considering adding a film like protection (XPEL) as I’ve done for my cars but maybe just a temporary cover would work???  Cheers 

Depends on the kind of tires the truck has. All terrain or mud tires have more chance of grabbing rocks and kicking them up onto the boat, than radial truck tires.

I have not found any flaps (including the ones above) that are available for purchase. I need to find some cause about to switch my factory truck tires out for the BF Goodrich KO2 tires which can pick up rocks easier.

1 hour ago, Infinitysurf said:

Depends on the kind of tires the truck has. All terrain or mud tires have more chance of grabbing rocks and kicking them up onto the boat, than radial truck tires.

I have not found any flaps (including the ones above) that are available for purchase. I need to find some cause about to switch my factory truck tires out for the BF Goodrich KO2 tires which can pick up rocks easier.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s?k=rock+tamers

10 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Another alternative to Rock Tamers. Both will work great, I just went with this option because it covers the entire back end of the truck and was half the price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OAT7LW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are a great price for $45....then there is the $33 shipping charge. I was ready to jump all over this till I saw that, WTH!! May still have to pull trigger, I am gonna have to do something for sure since I will be towing a lot over next 4-5 months. Got a few trips planned this summer, including the Lake Norris trip in June....Whoop

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
31 minutes ago, Infinitysurf said:

These are a great price for $45....then there is the $33 shipping charge. I was ready to jump all over this till I saw that, WTH!! May still have to pull trigger, I am gonna have to do something for sure since I will be towing a lot over next 4-5 months. Got a few trips planned this summer, including the Lake Norris trip in June....Whoop

Still less then half of the rock tamers. There are other options by the same brand on amazon too. I just linked those from my order a year and a half ago. 

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up going with rock tamers.  What a PiTA to set these up but they do look and work well once installed. Thanks for the help.  I realize this might have been better in the trailer section now that it’s moved away from covers.  

Do you guys leave them on all the time or just when you tow?  Once you set them up the first time how long to they take to take on and off.  

I tow a lot and don't have rock tamers and haven't had any issues w/ my highway tires and chips on the bow.  But I understand your concern based on the price of a M235 or any new boat really. 

I have 2 hitches. One with the Tamers and one without. If I pull the boat to the dealer or back/forth to my storage room, I use the one without the Tamers. If I pull any farther than that, I use the hitch with the Tamers.