Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Finished surfgates

macdaddy

I do think it’s interesting guys with older Malibu’s like to recommend GSA. Yet guys with MB’s that come factory with GSA recommend retrofitting surf Gates.  :dontknow:

Nice install Mac! 

Edited by Pnwrider
  • Like 2

Grant - Here is the info i have.  I went through mmimarine.com  They have everything you need.  Switches, mounting brackets, actuators...everything.  I went with the Lenco stroke fast actuator .  Part number is LEN 15130-001.  With wiring, they ahve all the diagrams and quick connects to make it very easy.  For me, I wired the switches directly to my battery with an inline fuse.  Seems to work great.

Mac

11 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Grant - Here is the info i have.  I went through mmimarine.com  They have everything you need.  Switches, mounting brackets, actuators...everything.  I went with the Lenco stroke fast actuator .  Part number is LEN 15130-001.  With wiring, they ahve all the diagrams and quick connects to make it very easy.  For me, I wired the switches directly to my battery with an inline fuse.  Seems to work great.

Mac

Thanks!

13 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

I do think it’s interesting guys with older Malibu’s like to recommend GSA. Yet guys with MB’s that come factory with GSA recommend retrofitting surf Gates.  :dontknow:

Nice install Mac! 

From what I understand, GSA on MBs only has an On/Off switch. It doesn't have the controller that normally comes with GSA. The controller allows you to make small adjustments to the tab and you can fine tune the wake. I don't know why MB would hamstring their boats like this except maybe it's cheaper.

Back to topic, that's awesome work, Mac. Love the factory look! 

image.png.db407b1c54baa460e42b4d8b1a258cde.png

This is the picture that I was referring to.  Nothing against the GSA, but with having young kids that swim off the back of the boat...how is this not a concern.  I am not looking to start a war of words, I just want someone that has this to explain.  

mac

37 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

image.png.db407b1c54baa460e42b4d8b1a258cde.png

This is the picture that I was referring to.  Nothing against the GSA, but with having young kids that swim off the back of the boat...how is this not a concern.  I am not looking to start a war of words, I just want someone that has this to explain.  

mac

Don't jinx me now... 3 years and no accidents... The jump off rear of platform not from sides.... They swim to the rear of the platform... and yes.. we are talking young kids... 2 - 6 years old... Plus we keep an eye on them...

IMO, if jumping off platform and hit the GSA tab... they would be to close to platform and possibly hit there head on the platform if the GSA was not there... 

Edited by kerpluxal
  1. I think the angle of that photo might make the tabs look like they stick out farther than they actually do.  How much do they actually hang out past the platform?

5 minutes ago, Malibuzer said:
  1. I think the angle of that photo might make the tabs look like they stick out farther than they actually do.  How much do they actually hang out past the platform?

I would have to take a look again tomorrow when I hopefully get to go out and play ;).. But it is not that much... as I stated.. if you were to jump off platform and hit the tab... you will be hitting platform as well.

None of the edges are sharp.. so swimming by it is no issue.. again this is my opinion ... I can't recall anybody ever hitting them while swimming or jumping..

Edited by kerpluxal

@macdaddy @boardjnky4

yeah the interior was in great shape and got trashed over the last 3 months.. Between loosing the cover in the wind and the Costa Rica weather it’s covered in mold.      Then again, if it were my boat I would never let that happen. 

Back on topic with GSA, his tabs lost the electronic module so they don’t retract all the way, but hanging on the swim grid I didn’t feel unsafe or worried about cutting my feet..

martinarcher
On 3/28/2018 at 11:41 PM, Pnwrider said:

Nice install Mac! 

Some of us are rocking gates with some great results.  I think the tabs are popular because you just bolt them on to the bottom edge of the hull and go.  The gates require a bit more thought and design to get the hinge line right and the deployment/stowed angle both where they need to be and as others have mentioned, the height of the gate correct for the amount of weight you like to run.  If you take some time in your design the gates rock out.  

So who's going to step and and mount both on the same boat?  :) 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2018 at 2:32 PM, martinarcher said:

Some of us are rocking gates with some great results.  I think the tabs are popular because you just bolt them on to the bottom edge of the hull and go.  The gates require a bit more thought and design to get the hinge line right and the deployment/stowed angle both where they need to be and as others have mentioned, the height of the gate correct for the amount of weight you like to run.  If you take some time in your design the gates rock out.  

So who's going to step and and mount both on the same boat?  :) 

I have always wondered about the dual setup!  Lol    Why couldn't you put a set of 12" x 12" trim tabs  https://smile.amazon.com/Lenco-15037-101-Trim-Tab-Kit/dp/B001F0O1TU/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1523719814&sr=8-16&keywords=lenco+trim+tabs+12x12

could you connect those into the wake logic controller to run with gates at the same time?    Just a thought as i was debating between gates or GSA for my 06' VLX.  

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

Gates and tabs at the same time just create a mess...  or at least that’s how it works on Tige with suc gates. 

Good to know...   not that i was actually going to, but it always seemed like a question out there...

Can’t wait till you answer @The Hulk ‘s question and yours about surfgate adjustability on the wave with your hold for constant switches 

they look sweet

Edited by granddaddy55

I hear ya there Macdaddy, i'm 60 miles north of ya in Ohio as well watching it snow out the window as i type this...   guess i'll go turn the heater on in the garage and go tinker on the boat some more... 

On 4/15/2018 at 2:04 PM, macdaddy said:

I would love to give everybody an update on my gates and wave... But Mother Nature is pulling a nice prank on us here in Ohio!!  Possible snow tomorrow!!  Really!!

At least youre able to get to your boat. Theres 20in of fresh snow inbetween me and our boat!!. Sweet gates, the emblems really tie it all together. it would totally fool me.