Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Finished surfgates

macdaddy

Thank you Martinarcher!  I have manual switches to operate them for now, but I have been told to contact you about a control module....I may be in touch!!

Mac

Edited by macdaddy
  • Like 1

I've also got a post over at wake garage where you can build your own controller for around 100 bucks with an arduino - the code is open sourced anyone can use it. 

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, jhartt3 said:

His surf gate build project is posted on wake garage as well.... so I know he's read up on the famous Jhart controller as well as wake logic :)   Love sharing knowledge and seeing these projects come to fruition.  Nice job, mac daddy!    Love the details.

And of course, love those 247s w/ 8.1  haha

Edited by rugger

Looks great.

The only thing pushing me towards GSA over surf gate is the upper edge of the surf tabs sticking up over the platform. We still wakeboard 75% of the time with frequent beginner wakeboard guests. I'm afraid of newbies standing on the tabs with a wakeboard and damaging them over time.

Please explain how the manual controls work. is it just a toggle switch for each gate? picture?

• Like 2

Windy 1... i will post a picture of my switches.  They are just Lenco switches, one switch for each gate.  These are just toggle switches.  I have to let you know how they work...have not put the boat in the water this year yet.  I share your concern with people standing on the gates as well.  I might end up raising the swim platform to make the top of the swim platform flush with the gates.  We will see.  I will try to post pics tonight or tomorrow.

mac

27 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I share your concern with people standing on the gates as well.  I might end up raising the swim platform to make the top of the swim platform flush with the gates.  We will see. 

Not a problem in my experience with slalom skiers.

It might be a good idea to find hinges with holes close to the center pin - or drill them yourself.  Makes everything stronger at the hinging point.

• Like 1
martinarcher
4 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Thank you Martinarcher!  I have manual switches to operate them for now, but I have been told to contact you about a control module....I am be in touch!!

Mac

No worries.  You know where to find me if you need.   :thumbup:

I dont know how true this is, but heard the GSA is better for big weight cause once you get surf gate under water, wave is not clean. Is this true? Its probably a reason why they are mounted higher I assume too.

Those look fantastic, great job putting those together.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Infinitysurf said:

I dont know how true this is, but heard the GSA is better for big weight cause once you get surf gate under water, wave is not clean. Is this true? Its probably a reason why they are mounted higher I assume too.

Those look fantastic, great job putting those together.

I would agree on this, you can only sink them so far before the wave turns to ish.  I believe a GSA type system is superior for older boats not specifically designed around a surf system.  

34 minutes ago, Ndawg12 said:

I would agree on this, you can only sink them so far before the wave turns to ish.  I believe a GSA type system is superior for older boats not specifically designed around a surf system.  

I agree as well... I also believe they would work great on any boat of any make... They keep me from buying a new boat every year.. which is a good and bad thing ;) 

46 minutes ago, windy1 said:

Kerpluxal,  So you have GSA on your 2010? If so do you have pictures of your install. 

They were installed by GSA... Yes I do.. I will try adding them here in a sec

@windy1 pm me your email... can't seem to find them on my photobucket account and it is full... @Ndawg12 ... did I send you pics or post them in your install forum?

Edited by kerpluxal

Grant...  I will check the model number and get back to you.  No offense to anybody, but the gsa gives me concerns.  I do not like the idea of metal tabs sticking out beyond my swim platform with kids swimming around it.  That's why I went with the surf gates.  My humble opinion though.

Edited by macdaddy