Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need Prop Education

Looking at a used 2016 t23, test run top speed was 32mph, order sheet shows High altitude prop. Top speed seems slow for this prop. Anyone tell me what top speed with stock prop is? Monsoon 350, don't know drive numbers or how to find them. I would like to be able to run 40 but still pull a surf wake. is this possible with this boat?

thank you all,

Jack

I think you're going have to pick a lane. Either top speed or bottom end torque. Sounds like your in the middle. But if you go to wakemakers.com, click on "props", then "wakemakers prop finder tool" if has your prop info. The prop numbers are stamped on back side of prop, the collar portion that is closest to the shaft.

Edited by Choiceind
  • Like 2

I am running a 1235 on my 350 albeit a 2010 in an LSV, but top speed for me unloaded at @ 4800 rpm was 40. 5200 rpm sees me at 42ish. If you are serious about surfing, you are not going to be able to do both with the 350 unfortunately. 2000 lbs over stock MLS at 11.2 mph verified is about max 3200 rpm regardless of my peeps load.

Edited by wdr
  • Like 1

It still makes me laugh that the word "altitude" is used over elevation. Would be different if we were talking plane propellers :lol:

props are always going to be a compromise, you just have to choose which and to what degree. 32 mph sounds like a fairly aggressive hole shot prop. Id be curious to know which prop it actually is. if you are going to load it up with ballast for a great surf wave with surf-gate, you will be hard pressed to find a prop thats going to pull that load and still give you 40 mph. You can always back off of the surf pull and go with a higher pitch prop and get some top speed back, theres thats nasty word compromise. So without a variable pitch prop, like planes and choppers, or a multi-speed gear box, we will always going to have to give up somewhere.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Fabrijack said:

Looking at a used 2016 t23, test run top speed was 32mph, order sheet shows High altitude prop. Top speed seems slow for this prop. Anyone tell me what top speed with stock prop is? Monsoon 350, don't know drive numbers or how to find them. I would like to be able to run 40 but still pull a surf wake. is this possible with this boat?

thank you all,

Jack

Are you looking to run 40 mph for Barefooting or just for fun? What is your elevation now? So many things to consider... but to pull a surfer and hit 40 mph... not sure if that is going to happen.. unless you drop ballast.... 

The prop size is engraved on the hub of it.  

Seems a bit slow at 32 mph but not to far off for a high pitch prop.. was this wide open throttle (WOT) and how many RPMs were you turning?

My 23 LSV with 350 .. unballasted.. in South (almost in Gulf 147' of elevation)  Acme 2247, I am hitting rev limiter at 36 mph (I do barefoot this boat ;)

My boat is primarily wakeboard and surf and my prop selection is chosen for that. I can push #4500 of ballast with wedge down at 14 mph with full crew (usually 8 people)... I surf at 11.8 - 12.6 mph.. With my previous prop (came with boat and don't know size off hand) I could push the same weight to a whopping 9 mph if I did not have have a full crew.. with full crew.. maybe 7 - 8 mph.

Really need to know what you have.. elevation of where you are at... and what sports you want to do with the boat.. and which sport is your main one..

I have a 17 T23 with the 6.0l PCM with the 2249 prop and I think it tops out around 38-40.  I don't run crazy weight for surfing so I will prob trade some torque for speed on the next prop and keep the 2249 as a spare.  At 23 feet 4 inches, that is a lot of boat to push around with a 5.7.  There is a reason they made the base engine the 6.0 for 2017.

1 hour ago, Txstoj said:

I have a 17 T23 with the 6.0l PCM with the 2249 prop and I think it tops out around 38-40.  I don't run crazy weight for surfing so I will prob trade some torque for speed on the next prop and keep the 2249 as a spare.  At 23 feet 4 inches, that is a lot of boat to push around with a 5.7.  There is a reason they made the base engine the 6.0 for 2017.

I've got the same setup and same observations.  What prop are you looking at?  I seldom run wide open, even on long(er) trips - longest runs we have are about 15 - 20 minutes max to a marina and diner.

@MUM3 I haven't really dug into the prop research because we usually boat on smaller lake where cruising speed is not a problem.  I do ski with this boat and would like to get the RPM's down when skiing.  I think it runs 42-4300 rpm's at 32mph. Def not an ideal ski boat but my wife said no boat if less than 23 feet because we are a family of 5 and usually have another family out with us.  

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:58 PM, Fabrijack said:

thank you all,

Jack

Hey just responding to my own question for other's benefit. I am in North MS elevation 259 ft. Bought the boat and  Prop was a 4 blade 15x12 top speed 31.5mph at 5500 rpm, we switched to stock from a 2018 which is 15 x 14.5 and top speed jumped to 39 at wot 5500 rpm, still pulls a surf wake with full ballasts and plug and play bags. Will cruise 35 mph at 4500 rpm I think this will be an acceptable compromise. I am old school slalom ski guy and run about 35 on my ski so I needed the extra top end. Thank you to all who responded. 

Jack