Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2nd Wakesurf Board

BenUrbanski

Ok there already lots of threads on this, but I had great success last year asking for recommendation for 1st board, so will ask again this year.  Quick background, boat is older Sunsetter DD, which we run good amount of ballast and sucgate, and have managed a decent wake IMO.  Im 5'10 (180-185), wife is 5'3 (125), and friends that ride are 150-200lbs.  Picked up a 5'4 Hyperlite Broadcast last year and it was great for 1/boat board.   Can ride ropeless/pretty far back on wave cutting up and down wake.  So with that being said we are still "experienced" beginners, but can all ride and are looking to progress.  Looking to get a new Board or 2 (wife).  Im not sure if I would like a surf vs skim vs hybrid style as haven't ridden anything but current Broadcast.   Here are ones Im considering, would really appreciate feedback as well as what size might be best.

Interested:

Ronix PowerTail

P5 Model X

Doomswell Neo

Hyperlite Shim

VIctoria Agent or Factor

maybes:

LF Dart

Connelly Bently

Model X would be a good board for you. It really improved my surfing. It made me a Phase 5 fan. It's a board that I plan on keeping. 

I tried the Ronix Power tail and didn't like it. Felt like I had to work too hard to stay in the push. In fairness, I probably needed the larger size of it.

I am in the same dilemma. I have been looking at the P5 Model X and the Hyperlite HiFi. We are still riding our broadcast as well and I still love it but I am wanting a more Skim style board.

1 hour ago, CBray4 said:

I am in the same dilemma. I have been looking at the P5 Model X and the Hyperlite HiFi. We are still riding our broadcast as well and I still love it but I am wanting a more Skim style board.

I love my Victoria for skim style... Doomswell also makes a skim style that I like to ride..

• Like 2
7 hours ago, BenUrbanski said:

Ok there already lots of threads on this, but I had great success last year asking for recommendation for 1st board, so will ask again this year.  Quick background, boat is older Sunsetter DD, which we run good amount of ballast and sucgate, and have managed a decent wake IMO.  Im 5'10 (180-185), wife is 5'3 (125), and friends that ride are 150-200lbs.  Picked up a 5'4 Hyperlite Broadcast last year and it was great for 1/boat board.   Can ride ropeless/pretty far back on wave cutting up and down wake.  So with that being said we are still "experienced" beginners, but can all ride and are looking to progress.  Looking to get a new Board or 2 (wife).  Im not sure if I would like a surf vs skim vs hybrid style as haven't ridden anything but current Broadcast.   Here are ones Im considering, would really appreciate feedback as well as what size might be best.

Interested:

Ronix PowerTail

P5 Model X

Doomswell Neo

Hyperlite Shim

VIctoria Agent or Factor

maybes:

LF Dart

Connelly Bently

I ride the Doomswell Nubstep... This would be their "Hybrid" board. I really really like this board as my go to for wakesurfing. It is fast and nimble, I prefer it over the Neo. 

When I skim, I have the Victoria Factor... another awesome board that is fun to ride...

Really the best thing to do is demo and choose the one that best fits you.

Edited by kerpluxal
18 hours ago, Kojak said:

Model X would be a good board for you. It really improved my surfing. It made me a Phase 5 fan. It's a board that I plan on keeping. 

I tried the Ronix Power tail and didn't like it. Felt like I had to work too hard to stay in the push. In fairness, I probably needed the larger size of it.

Ya I am really leaning towards the Model X. The Hyperlite Shim/Victoria Agent are temping because of the price.  What size X are you riding, and should I go with 58" being that I have a DD and weigh around 180 or will 53" have enough float/push and be more fun.

26 minutes ago, BenUrbanski said:

Ya I am really leaning towards the Model X. The Hyperlite Shim/Victoria Agent are temping because of the price.  What size X are you riding, and should I go with 58" being that I have a DD and weigh around 180 or will 53" have enough float/push and be more fun.

I'd recommend the 58" for you. It's the size that I have. It's plenty maneuverable and fast.

Do some searching online. You may be able to find last year's model at a reduced price. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

2016 Hyperlite Shim vs 2017 P5 Model X

Are they super similar or will Model X outperform Shim by a wide margin.  Lovin the price on the Shim, but willing to spend the money on Model X if way better.

I have a new left over 2016 Shim bought last year and a P5 Trident Carbon Pro. The X isn't the TCP but, my wife won't ride her "brand new Shim" anymore after getting on the TCP. Even though I have not surfed the "X", I would be willing to bet good money that there is going to be a wide performance margin between the 2. The Shim is stable, but slow and not nearly as responsive as other boards we have surfed. A newb board with little room for progression IMO.

Edited by wdr

We just got a Victoria Factor, 50" & we love the board!!  Stable but spins so easy.  Thing is light, wind almost took it out of my hand this weekend.  They're on clearance for $300.00

http://wakestore.victoriaskimboards.com/

Edit, Factor not for 300 anymore, you missed out on that one I guess

Edited by racer808

Just ordered a Phase Five Model x... found a 2017 model on sale.   I started with a Hyperlite Broadcast last year,  love that as a first board, found it easy to learn on, and I taught a whole bunch of people on it.   Very forgiving.    BUT... we were trying to do 360s on it at the end of the season, and I think we were pressing its limits.   

Have read so much good about the model x that I thought I would spring for it.   I hope I like it as much as I THINK I will.   It should be here by the 11th, water should be warm enough to give it a go.  

I had the 58" P5 Model X for my first board.  It was a great board, but when my father-in-law purchased a P5 Trident, I liked it a lot better.  I felt like I had more push & I got along with it much better.  I am 6' 2" & 215#.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to close the loop on my P5 Model X... got to ride it for the first time Sunday.   I love it.   I am really surprised by how dramatic the difference is to the Hyperlite Broadcast.    it is much faster, and I can drift back on the wave much further with confidence, and it is so much more responsive, and yet I can turn it with confidence.   I didnt try to do anything wild yet, just pumped it, and played around to see where the sweet spot was.   Seems the sweet spot is much bigger with the P5 than the Hyperlite. 

Having said all that, I still think the Hyperlite is a better learning board... more forgiving, less squirelly.   It will always be in the rack if there is anyone new on board.  But I suspect I will not be riding it any more.

@7lazy77I would love to ride a Trident... if that is even better... wow just wow.

Ben: I think you'll like the Model X.  It's very maneuverable without feeling slippery.  I ride mine with the two outer fins and a 1" fin in the middle.  I've found this setup lets me dig into turns, but I can still break the fins loose to spin it.  Depending on the fin setup, it can feel very locked in or more like a skim board.  That means you can change the ride as you improve, and you won't outgrow the board.  It's also durable, less likely to be damaged by the sun, and it will fit in a thin wakeboard rack.  I have the smaller version, but I'm 5'9", 167#.  I think as you improve, you'll want a shorter board, although that might depend on the size and shape of the wave you surf, and I don't know if another 15-20lbs would change the way it rides.  If you want bigger friends to ride it, I'm sure the longer version will be great.  

My only complaint is that it's easy to sink the nose if you're not careful.  I've adjusted my stance and rarely do it now, but something to consider.  I bought the powertail because I love the Ronix longboard, and it seemed like a shorter version, plus I like how the nose is really swept back, making it hard to sink.  That said, I still like the Model X a little better.  It feels lighter and more responsive, and it's easy to set up in the sweet spot of maneuverability.  But it all depends on what you're looking for.  The powertail with all fins inserted is better for big smooth turns, and you can stomp the nose harder to gain speed from the back of the wave.  

I now have had mine out for another day... and like it more and more with every ride.   I find it MUCH faster, and more responsive than my broadcast,   It carves better, and I can make a hard cut much more easily than the broadcast.   It is easy to bury the nose... and I have done it quite a bit.    Mine is a 2017 58", and for the moment I am running it with all three stock fins.

Interestingly, my son in law and his buddy have not had the same experience as I have.   Comparing it to my broadcast (running without the two outer fins, only the stock center fin), they agree that it is FASTER, but to them it is less responsive than the Broadcast configuration, and they also have seen the tendency to bury the nose.     Watching them, I definitely can see the difference in their ride. 

The big difference is that I am bigger by quite a bit.   I have at least 60-70lbs on my son in law, and probably 40-50 on his buddy.  By all rights they should be on a shorter board, but I let them find the $$ to buy another one.    Both of them are interested in pulling the outer fins off the model x, giving them more responsiveness, AND the speed of the X, which should let them get around a 360 easily.    I on the other hand wonder if I will find the configuration overly squirelly, but I am ready to try it!