Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wake improvements on my 05' response lxi

lxirod

i have been making some changes to my rlxi to see if i can improve my wake performance. i have taken my tower off (loaded with 4 speakers and board racks), removed my wedge, removed my back seat and added 50 lbs to the bow. i can say that my wake is alot better. very comparble to the nautique 196. i also think addding the weight to the front has improved the tracking. it seems like th boat holds a straight line like its on rails. even when the skier is loading the boat it feels like the boat doesnt even budge.

so i have decided to leave the tower off, so if anyone is interested in a black skylon swoop tower with racks let me know...

what did you use to fill the bracket holes from the tower. I had considered doing the same thing but I was not sure what i would use. Can you post a pic. thanks

i imagine the weight of the tower with 4 speakers and racks is close to 300lbs. im guessing ..

i used stainless 1/4" acorn nuts and bolts to fill the holes. doesnt look that out of place since there is so much stainless on the boat wiht the rub rail and gas cap... ill post a pic when i can..

i imagine the weight of the tower with 4 speakers and racks is close to 300lbs. im guessing ..

i used stainless 1/4" acorn nuts and bolts to fill the holes. doesnt look that out of place since there is so much stainless on the boat wiht the rub rail and gas cap... ill post a pic when i can..

Try the tower without speakers or racks and no back seat. The tower alone might weigh all of 25lbs. and is fairly centered on the boat. I would try the tower alone and no added weight in the front.

The tower alone souldn't be much of a factor and it will help resale alot.

I was surprised when I first read this to learn that your back seat was still in. Most slalom junkies take them out first thing because they only get in the way.

Putting weight in the front is similar to what the MC guys are doing when hooking there hulls to improve wake and tracking.

You don't see many 196's with towers, speakers and racks yet the Response is supposed to compete with it.

Is your boat running better?

Dwayne

Edited by maliboo

it seems like my tower weighs alot more than 25 lbs. either way i dont want to put the tower back on, i like my boat without it. its not just a wake thing, i think it looks better and i dont like looking like every other boat on the water. i leave my seat in beacuse i also use my boat with friends on the river . but its easy to take off and leave on the dock at the ski lake. boat runs great now. ECM was replaced and all is good.

it seems like my tower weighs alot more than 25 lbs. either way i dont want to put the tower back on, i like my boat without it. its not just a wake thing, i think it looks better and i dont like looking like every other boat on the water. i leave my seat in beacuse i also use my boat with friends on the river . but its easy to take off and leave on the dock at the ski lake. boat runs great now. ECM was replaced and all is good.

Plus1.gif

I agree that I prefer the RLXi w/o a tower but there's NWIH that I'd be able to deal with stepping on equipment all over the boat. We haul everything out and everything back on each trip...for us, having the skis and boards up on the tower is well worth the less than sleek look. Plus, you can hang your towels from the tower too so they'll dry quicker.

i dont wakeboard and my friend owns a wakeseeter so thats the boat of choice for our friends. so i dint really use the tower other than a speaker rack, and high place to sit and drink a beer. so for now its staying off.

i do want to add a shower for the cold months coming our way..

i have been making some changes to my rlxi to see if i can improve my wake performance. i have taken my tower off (loaded with 4 speakers and board racks), removed my wedge, removed my back seat and added 50 lbs to the bow. i can say that my wake is alot better. very comparble to the nautique 196. i also think addding the weight to the front has improved the tracking. it seems like th boat holds a straight line like its on rails. even when the skier is loading the boat it feels like the boat doesnt even budge.

so i have decided to leave the tower off, so if anyone is interested in a black skylon swoop tower with racks let me know...

Rod, how far forward did you put the weight in the bow. Wondering if this might be something to try with my old 205.

i put 2 25lbs plates from a weight set, wrapped plastic over them then carpted. i put them as far up as they would fit on the floor. evr since ive mae the changes ive been getting great feedback on the wake.

i put 2 25lbs plates from a weight set, wrapped plastic over them then carpted. i put them as far up as they would fit on the floor. evr since ive mae the changes ive been getting great feedback on the wake.

Sounds easy enough to play with. Is that improvement all the way down the line?

well i dont know for sure. i was after softenting the 22 off bump. 28 and shorter is where the lxi excels.

taking the tower off made the 15 wake better

Worth a shot anyway. I like it fine the way it is, but I'd trade it all for a little less, ya know.

well i dont know for sure. i was after softenting the 22 off bump. 28 and shorter is where the lxi excels.

taking the tower off made the 15 wake better

That's interesting. I thought the RLXi was supposed to have a great wake all the way down the line?