Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tonneau Recommendation

Kblagg

For those of you with trucks as your tow rigs and have a folding/rolling tonneau, what did you go with?  I like the Bak X2/X4 other than the pull the wire to unlatch.  Seems very easy to defeat with a screwdriver or other flat edged device.

Case in point:

Edited by Kblagg

Revolver X2 because it works well with Trac Rac sliding Rack system. Rack is adjustable and slides off in seconds. Light weight but strong and as said works in conjunction with Revolver X2.

IMG_7763 (1).jpg

Edited by alpensurf23
37 minutes ago, alpensurf23 said:

Revolver X2 because it works well with Trac Rac sliding Rack system. Rack is adjustable and slides off in seconds. Light weight but strong and as said works in conjunction with Revolver X2.

IMG_7763 (1).jpg

How secure is it?  Could someone easily activate the cable latch and open the tonneau like in the video above?

1 hour ago, Kblagg said:

How secure is it?  Could someone easily activate the cable latch and open the tonneau like in the video above?

Hadn't tried, but super snug fit so much so during winter tailgate freezes to it. I believe a camper shell is easier to break into. I've parked mine in big cities, at big boat ramps,  and big ski resorts. all over the west with no issues. I think if a person has enough time they can break into anything. End of the day what is your car insurance for.

ahopkins22LSV

It’s not the most secure one in the world because it’s vinyl but I love my truxedo low pro t. It’s secure because my tailgate locks but you could just cut it open. It’s one of the best looking ones out there imo and doesn’t break the bank. You can even go with the gator version of it. It’s the same bed cover just different brand and slightly different hardware and save even more. I went with gator on my current truck and it was less then $300 shipped. Installed in 20 minutes and has been great for a year. 

Most are easy to defeat and only keep the honest folks out.  . Current cover is a bakflip f1, you can defeat it with your bare hands just by flexing the back panel up from the center.  They work fine, and are good for about 3~4 years before they start falling apart. 

My next tonneau will be a diamond back

https://diamondbackcovers.com

Edited by oldjeep

Bak revolver x2 is more secure than a Bak G2 in my personal experience. Still have wire to release lock, but it’s only at very end and harder to pry up and get to. Still easy probably if you know what your doing. My buddy has a roll and lock cover which seems to lock in conjunction with tailgate, but loses about 8” depth at front of box for roll box. Those are what I have experience with 

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
48 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Most are easy to defeat and only keep the honest folks out.  . Current cover is a bakflip f1, you can defeat it with your bare hands just by flexing the back panel up from the center.  They work fine, and are good for about 3~4 years before they start falling apart. 

My next tonneau will be a diamond back

https://diamondbackcovers.com

For 950 dollars I’d be pretty pissed if they fall apart in 3-4 years. 

30 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

For 950 dollars I’d be pretty pissed if they fall apart in 3-4 years. 

I was pissed when the first one was damaged in less than 6 months followed by a 7 month fight with bak for a replacement.  But the issues are all the seals and the panels delaminating.  If you  keep the truck inside, maybe they last longer but mine is outside 365 days a year. 

Edited by oldjeep

@oldjeep I’ve had my bak for 6 years, it lives outside including freezing ice/snow built up all winter, as well as being flipped fully open/close basically everyday. Have had to replace screws on rails, otherwise works like new. Maybe they aren’t made like they used to be, or different (hotter) weather affect them more, but I’ve had really good luck with 3 different ones. 

6 minutes ago, BenUrbanski said:

@oldjeep I’ve had my bak for 6 years, it lives outside including freezing ice/snow built up all winter, as well as being flipped fully open/close basically everyday. Have had to replace screws on rails, otherwise works like new. Maybe they aren’t made like they used to be, or different (hotter) weather affect them more, but I’ve had really good luck with 3 different ones. 

Mine is 8 years old.

I have a roll up type on my Ram Diesel, my wife has a segmented type that locks on her new DMax. I prefer rollup she likes the segmented type.  not really concerned about security since a thug is getting in any way.

I'm on my 2nd bakflip F1' GMC short bed, and current F350 long bed, love the flush mount and function. If I had a gripe it would be color fade, mine is in the elements 365 and the black has lost a bit of its luster. Bak customer service ain't that great and it's hard to get them to respond if at all.

IMG_6198.JPG

1 hour ago, Stevo said:

I'm on my 2nd bakflip F1' GMC short bed, and current F350 long bed, love the flush mount and function. If I had a gripe it would be color fade, mine is in the elements 365 and the black has lost a bit of its luster. Bak customer service ain't that great and it's hard to get them to respond if at all.

IMG_6198.JPG

Put some tire dressing on it and it will shine right up like new. 

I have the Backflip Revolver X2. It has one of the lowest profiles and protects against rain much better imho than others on the market. I’ve had it for 18 months and works great for our family. 

3BA84B96-059D-4084-98BC-EEF03D51E4CB.jpeg

I have a toolbox in my truck to carry stuff I don't really need but want to have with me anyway. So I go an Extang Trifecta 2.0, it's shorter and comes with an adapter for the toolbox. Works well, seems pretty stout, and you can take it off in about 2 minutes. The security isn't great as anything in there is a utility knife away from someone else's truck. But that's not why I have a cover, it keeps the snow out of the bed and the rain off my son's baseball equipment. I had a full tilt up fiberglass cover years ago on a different truck and that was probably the most secure cover I've seen, but wasn't overly convenient.

Surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but I have an undercover tonneau and it’s the bees knees. No way you are gonna use a utility knife to get inside that thing. It’s a hard plastic shell that lifts up but still locks securely. It’s so strong you can stand on it while it’s on the truck but it’s still super light. Although it’s big and awkward to do so, I can still take it off and put it back on by myself in the rare occasion that I need to haul something large. I would totally recommend it and personally wouldn’t go with any other tonneau. I have the classic “one piece” version

https://www.undercoverinfo.com/

Edited by svnfightsvn

I just went with the Bak Revolver X4 since I wanted the ability to see out the back when its rolled up. I know a couple of guys with the X2 and like them for the convieniance but have had their issues with the felt on the underside and the Vinyl has cracked but with extreme use. I went with the X4 because the top seemed a bit more durable. they claim its the same material as a convertible. I'm not sure about that that but time will tell.

The downside is its not easy to take off like a one piece, but I doubt I'll need to take it off very often. I also went with the BedRug to protect my gear

1 hour ago, Socalbu said:

I just went with the Bak Revolver X4 since I wanted the ability to see out the back when its rolled up. I know a couple of guys with the X2 and like them for the convieniance but have had their issues with the felt on the underside and the Vinyl has cracked but with extreme use. I went with the X4 because the top seemed a bit more durable. they claim its the same material as a convertible. I'm not sure about that that but time will tell.

The downside is its not easy to take off like a one piece, but I doubt I'll need to take it off very often. I also went with the BedRug to protect my gear

How do you like it so far?  That's the one that I'm leaning towards.

18 hours ago, Stevo said:

IMG_6198.JPG

Or use 303 on it. Pace Edwards Recommends the 303. Even sends some with it for install.

I am on my fourth one of these. It is secure and dry. Sand at Pismo, Dumont and Glamis has never been a problem. If you are in a cold environment, Ice may be a problem. They do tend to get a little sticky after a few years. But they have never failed me. I forgot to lock my gooseneck one time and when I backed the mini ex off, it jumped and landed on the cover. It bowed it down about 6". after I moved the gooseneck it sprang right back and I continued using the cover. The current one I have I smashed with the gooseneck on some uneven ground. I pushed the bed back into place with the mini and am continuing to use this one. They are very strong. I lay on it all the time and it doesn,t budge. Being a contractor it is secure and I can still load pallets. The current one is 3 years old and is starting to fade. It will get 303 soon. It brings it right back and lasts a couple months.  And Yikes they keep going up. My first one I paid $1500.00 for. 3 years ago I think I only paid $1800.00 or $1900.00. The next new truck just got more expensive.:cry:

https://paceedwardsdirect.com/shop-by-category/tonneau-covers/pace-edwards-bedlocker-tonneau-cover.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpozu2-mK2gIVBHZeCh1Djw6lEAAYASAAEgLtuvD_BwE

Edited by Sparky450
On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:39 AM, Kblagg said:

How do you like it so far?  That's the one that I'm leaning towards.

I like it but you do lose a little space from the rails but I think I made the right choice. IMO It looks the best of anything out there.

Also for $300 bucks you can't go wrong with the BedRug.

https://www.realtruck.com/bedrug-full-bed-liner/R1812P2016Y2712MA.html

• Like 1

I like the rollups.  Ultimate versatility.  Had an Access Lorado on my Titan, which I loved.  I have a Truxedo Lo-Pro on my Sierra which is great, but I liked the Access better.  Just a nicer fit and latch system (at the time).

7 minutes ago, Kblagg said:

Where did your purchase from?

I was going to but it from this site, but they had a two week lead time. Cant remember what they were offering, but at the time it was better than anyone else.

http://www.truckalterations.com/html/pricegtee.html

I ended up just going local for $1550 installed with the carpet. Spent more than I wanted but was heading up skiing and needed the cover.