Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Removing swirl marks in NEW boat.......

So after sending my boat back to dealer to be repolished/touched up in November, i swear its worse now than before. Alittle back story. Bought my boat new from dealer in late October. Wasnt quite happy with the finish of the exterior(swirls, light scratches, dull spots), dealer acknowledge the issues and said to bring it back over winter and they would correct the issues. They picked the boat up from me November 30th of 2017. Fast forward to about two weeks ago. After a long winter of nothing getting done by them, no phone calls to follow up with me, me threatening them that I would take to another dealer, they get the boat to gel shop to be "fixed" about a week ago. Guy has it for a day, and then it goes back to dealer for a couple other issues that I was told had already been fixed(they had my boat for 3 1/2 months bear in mind). So yesterday I went and picked it up, and was immediately disappointed in what I saw. Not only does it not look better, it actually looks worse in some areas. I was so fed up at that point that I just hooked up to the boat and drug it the hour ride home. Some are going to say that I should have them fix the issues again, but at what point do I just say screw it? Im not waiting any longer. Its almost riding season here in Delaware, and Im ready to hit the water. While at the dealer, I did notice two brand new boats sitting side by side. An 18' t22 and a 18' 23lsv. I looked them both over pretty good while they were getting my boat out of wash bay, and while they were both nice(gel wise), the LSV was noticeably better. The gel finish was deep, glossy, swirl free. Like its supposed to be. I want my boat right, even if I have to do it myself. So, there is the question. Whats it going to take to fix this. Most of it is swirl marks. Still some dull areas, and light scratches. Ive attached some pics,  but its hard to tell from them. I dont care what it cost me to do this. Ive already bought a nice variable speed cordless DA polisher and Ive plenty of types of compounds and polishes also. One quick note. Since Im doing gator step throughout, I had the dealer remove the swim platform pad as well as the walk through pads from the factory. These give me some areas to "practice" on before I tackle the whole boat. So, what are your suggestion? 

IMG_5034 3.JPG

IMG_0809.JPG

IMG_1547 2.JPG

Check out this thread....products detailed made my black 06 look like a mirror.  Only thing, you may need a variable speed rotary polisher instead of the da polisher just because of the added heat that it will build up.  I picked up an el cheapo at Harbor Freight for less than $40 and it worked fine.  Member ibelonginprison  turned me on to the process and it works.

That's pretty aggravating for a new boat....don't blame you for being upset.  Nothing that you can't handle yourself.

Good luck!

Tim

Edited by DUKENO1

I empathize with you.  It shouldn't look like this.  But to answer your question, I would attempt to negotiate a credit with the dealer since they obviously messed it up and then just do it myself.  There are plenty of posts both here and elsewhere regarding polishing gelcoat (search "cut & polish", but you don't need the cut part) and then just get it done.  You will be glad you did.  It will look like new, I promise!  Just spend some quality time researching both here and elsewhere and you'll find what you need.  Just don't go cheap on the compound/polish/wax. 

Life is too short to get upset by this.  Wax on, wax off (metaphorically) and go enjoy your awesome boat.

36 minutes ago, onewake09 said:

I appreciate the advice  @formulaben. I know i can make it right. Just need to out the work in now. Good thing i have a couple weeks til the weather clears up. 

I get it.  I'm midway through what started as a carpet project and has turned into a complete overhaul.  This is what my ride looks like right now...

sq60k1.jpg

Edited by formulaben

You say swirl marks. That looks like scratches.

if you can feel it when you drag your finger nails across its it’s not swirl.

swirl shows up in black but your black looks better than the blue

if it is just swirl that looks like really bad swirl.  I use 3m pads and compounds.  Stuffs not cheap but it’s good.  Get a variable speed polisher like a dewalt.  I use full size pads too.  Get 3m 1,2,3.  The 3 will shine it like glass mirror.  Watch a video.  Start using your polisher at a slow speed first like 800 till you get the feel for it.  Then work up to 1200 when your comfortable.  Pad always wet with polish.  Use right pad with right polish.  Wash and completely dry in between each step.

areas with scratches you will need to set sand.  That’s a bit tricky.  Need 1500 soaking wet paper and light pressure.  Then you puff with the steps

Good advice.  I'll just add that you need to mask off the area so that any compound splatter on the rest of the boat/trailer doesn't make your problem worse.

DWAKE nailed it, especially on the speed.  I use 3M compound (don't buy the heavy cutting compound just the regular compound).  Speed is everything though, if you full blast the compound while buffing you are just burning the compound into the gel and you won't get much out of what you are trying to fix.  800 RPM is proper speed for cutting the compound into the gel to remove the swirls.  If they don't remove with regular compound then you will need to go to Heavy cutting compound. 

Process:  WetSand (if needed but you shouldn't need this step) > Heavy cutting compound (if needed) > Regular Compound > Polish (3M finesse-it II) > Wax (wax only when you know your swirls are gone)

Be aware of the cheap pads you can get sucked into buying online like amazon.  I bought some pads and thought nothing about it.  It put swirls in my gel like your pics show in a few areas.  I'm going to suck it up and buy 3M or Chemicalguys.com pads.  I've heard those two brands are really the best out there.

Buff in small areas, say maybe 1 sqft at a time or at least test in that small of an area before you go full bore

I watched a guy do his boat and he lightly applied the polish and wax to the boat with a paint brush.  Super light coats.  It seemed like a really great way to make less of a mess and always make sure you have enough on. 

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:33 PM, DUKENO1 said:

Check out this thread....products detailed made my black 06 look like a mirror.  Only thing, you may need a variable speed rotary polisher instead of the da polisher just because of the added heat that it will build up.  I picked up an el cheapo at Harbor Freight for less than $40 and it worked fine.  Member ibelonginprison  turned me on to the process and it works.

That's pretty aggravating for a new boat....don't blame you for being upset.  Nothing that you can't handle yourself.

Good luck!

Tim

I used the Menzerna and really liked the way it turned out. I could have been more aggressive with my polisher but wimped out worrying I would make things worse.

I agree on buying quality pads, it's not worth the risk, especially with all the work that it takes to do the whole boat!

Sucks you have to do this, but if its just swirls it will look better than they do from the factory. Mine looked so much better after two years of use than it did brand new!