Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23 LSV vs 22 VLX

Koop

Looking for anyone with experience going from a 2010-12 LSV to a ‘15 22 VLX.... or anyone who’s been in both.  How much smaller is the cabin area?  I’ve got a deposit on a ‘15 22 VLX and currently have a ‘08 VTX.  Looking for more room in the boat is the main reason for upgrading.  

With the rear swim deck seats on the 22 I’m not sure how much extra cabin space I’d be gaining?  Of the two boats I’m looking at the LSV is about $22 000 cheaper, larger cabin area, and I’d put GSA on most likely.

Like the deeper hull with and all the extras the ‘15 has... flip up seats, surfgate, etc....but not if it means a cabin roughly the same size as a my current VTX.

Experiences with guys going from early model VTX’s to the 22 VLX would be appreciated as well.  Kids are getting older now, friends coming along, etc... so cabin space is key.  Can’t go any bigger than a 23LSV as that’s all the new garage space will allow without it being a pain to store each time we come back from the lake... pulling platforms, etc...

It does have all that good stuff.... just worried the cabin won’t be much bigger than my VTX.  Sat in a different 22 than the one I’ve got a deposit on....seemed a little bigger than my VTX but not much.  Unfortunately boats are at different dealers so can’t compare.

Same dollars for both boats?  Hours on each of the boats? Does the 2012 23 LSV have surfgate? For the same dollars I still think your better buy would be  2015 22 VLX when compared to 2012 23 LSV

Edited by Dfowkes
2 hours ago, Koop said:

Of the two boats I’m looking at the LSV is about $22 000 cheaper

It’s a cabin space thing.... Not a fancy gadgets thing?  

2 hours ago, Koop said:

Looking for anyone with experience going from a 2010-12 LSV to a ‘15 22 VLX.... or anyone who’s been in both.  How much smaller is the cabin area?  I’ve got a deposit on a ‘15 22 VLX and currently have a ‘08 VTX.  Looking for more room in the boat is the main reason for upgrading.  

With the rear swim deck seats on the 22 I’m not sure how much extra cabin space I’d be gaining?  Of the two boats I’m looking at the LSV is about $22 000 cheaper, larger cabin area, and I’d put GSA on most likely.

Like the deeper hull with and all the extras the ‘15 has... flip up seats, surfgate, etc....but not if it means a cabin roughly the same size as a my current VTX.

Experiences with guys going from early model VTX’s to the 22 VLX would be appreciated as well.  Kids are getting older now, friends coming along, etc... so cabin space is key.  Can’t go any bigger than a 23LSV as that’s all the new garage space will allow without it being a pain to store each time we come back from the lake... pulling platforms, etc...

I think you only lose space on the sun pad (swim deck) not in the seating area because of the seats that are on stern now. You might not gain all 2 ft in the main cabin, but you might gain 10' in bow, and 14" behind the drivers seat.

Interesting.... I just thought that it would come out of cabin space and not the sun pad area.  I’m fine with losing a bit of sun pad.  Anybody confirm this?  Can’t find info on the breakdown of dimensions anywhere.... closest dealer is an hour away.  Not the one I’d be buying the used VLX from so don’t want to go in there with a measuring tape!  I get the odd services done there.... they’d probably be cool with it... I just wouldn’t feel right!!

I think the 22vlx is much larger feeling than the vtx.  That comes from owning the vlx for a couple years and then looking at an 08 vtx for my brother.  It def felt very cramped in that thing.  The LSV does feel much larger though.  I would imagine it feeling like a limousine coming from the vtx

I have a 22VLX and my buddy has a 23LSV, yes, his boat is noticeably bigger but my boat has a lot of space.  I have had 10 adults, and 10 adults worth of stuff on my boat, it was tight but everyone was comfortable.  My previous boat was a MC X2 that was tiny compared to my VLX.  What is the beam of the VTX, 96”?  I would think it would be narrower than the VLX, which makes a big difference.   

Edit: Did some research.  The VTX beam is 98” so you will add 4” of width with a 22VLX as well.  It doesn’t sound like much, but it makes a difference. 

Edited by Lees23
8 hours ago, Internetguy said:

I'd go with the 23, that extra foot makes a big difference. I dont think the 22 VLX is *much bigger than your VTX.

Wait, You gain more room going from VTX to 22VLX (1’10”)than you do going from 22VLX to 23LSV. (1’2”)  

How is that not much bigger?

10 hours ago, wakebrdr94 said:

Wait, You gain more room going from VTX to 22VLX (1’10”)than you do going from 22VLX to 23LSV. (1’2”)  

How is that not much bigger?

Ok, well it didnt seem that much larger to me, was just my opinion. And it depends on where that extra space is, but usually when space is the goal for the boat, the 23 is the way to go. The 22VLX is a really nice boat!

I went from a 2013 vlx to 2015 22vlx to a 2017 lsv.  All great boats, 22vlx is a good size boat for 6-8 people.  With the LSV you will gain all the room in the cabin area (16").  Space is very noticeable from the 22vlx.  Wake and wave are identical imo or so close it's hard to tell the difference blind folded.

I would go LSV if you can store it and tow it, your kids will only get bigger and take more friends out.  Resale will also be easier on the LSV, it's Malibus number one selling boat for past nine years.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, wakebrdr94 said:

Don't forget the beam is 102" on the 22VLX, just as it is on the LSV.  His VTX's beam is only 98".  So that difference should be MUCH bigger than from the VLX to the LSV.

My family went from a 2011 VTX to a 2015 VLX. There's a notable amount of room difference, 4" wider and 1'10" longer. The 4" of width makes a huge difference.

I would personally go with the '15 VLX because you're getting PW2 and surfgate. That's a no brainer to me. Plus the new dash and a bunch of other new features. I don't think the difference in room will be that huge (b/w the LSV & VLX). I grantee you will notice a size difference from your VTX to the VLX. I absolutely love our boat & the wakes/waves on it are amazing. I think you'd get a better wave out of the '15VLX with SG than a '12LSV with GSA. If you look online, there's a whole extra cushion when comparing a VTX to a VLX, plus the 4" width difference.

17 minutes ago, Suggy said:

I think you'd get a better wave out of the '15VLX with SG than a '12LSV with GSA.

Interested on what youre basing this off of. I just see ppl talk GSA on here like its heaps and bounds above SG. Are you more so comparing the old LSV vs newer VLX? I cant chime in, only been on LSV and not a newer VLX :/

Lots of good info guys.... much appreciated.   Guess I should clarify a couple things on the two boats  as this may soon turn into a what would you rather!  First off we foil, surf and I do pull the kids on a tube (away from any other boaters, straight line zig zagging a little, no 360 monster waves, mostly on the way to/from riding spot).  We can surf our ‘08 VTX with wicked wave fine, just takes some time to set up.  Not looking for a boat with the best wave on the lake... ease of use to get a good fun wave is more important to us than a slammed wave machine that takes 20 mins to set up. Couple plumbed bags, possibly a bow sac to use ocassionally if it’s just adults out for the day.

2015 22 VLX

350 motor just under 100hrs

PW2

1 pair clamping racks

flip up seats

rear swim step seat

new helm

$22 000 more than LSV

2012 LSV

410 motor just under 200 hrs

PW

bungee spinners

more space

ugly steering wheel... that would need to be changed.

Probably install GSA this coming winter... listed or suck gate till then.

$22 000 cheaper than VLX

Those are the biggest differences between the two that come to mind.  Really torn on this choice!  Love the look of both boats and I’ll post pics later.  Leaning one way then I change my mind back to the other.  Space is the goal.... LSV.  But if space difference between LSV/VLX is minimal extras of VLX would be nice.... but $22 000 nice???  

The struggle continues, keep the feedback coming.... it’s helping I think!!!

I’d vote for lsv. 

Maybe I missed reading it but if you’re willing to spend $22,000 more on the vlx, is there a reason you wouldn’t spend that extra $22,000 on a newer lsv with surfgate?

Hard to find up here in Canada, not as plentiful as in the states.  ‘13-‘14 LSV’s are hard to find and only about 3-5K less than the VLX with way less hrs, newer helm, pw2, etc... I’m a black and white guy as well.  I like simple colours schemes.... Oranges, greens, etc... don’t do it for me.  So my options narrow very quickly.  

2 hours ago, SouthsideBoarder said:

I’d vote for lsv. 

Maybe I missed reading it but if you’re willing to spend $22,000 more on the vlx, is there a reason you wouldn’t spend that extra $22,000 on a newer lsv with surfgate?

I've been wondering the same thing?