Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Old gas

Brad B

Last gassed up in October and have about a 1/4 tank left over and forgot to put StaBil in. I can either drain it and use it in the mower and 4 wheelers - but - was wondering if theres any "after the fact" additive I could put in to save it.

Or is it even worth worrying about? Its marina gas so no alcohol

I would just completely fill the tank with new gas and run it. If you are really worried about it change the filter after a couple of tanks.

• Like 2

I wouldn't worry about it.  I store all my gas powered equipment with what ever gas is in it and just add more the next time I use it.  I don't add any stabil or other snake lubricating products and run E10 in everything.   Must store around 100 gallons of gas for 6 months each summer/winter in the various seasonal toys and equipment.

• Like 3

Although I drain at seasons end, I can not think of anyone who had problems with older gas, even without stabilizer.  This includes boats, lawn equip, snow throw, snowmobiles, ect.  I feel poor maintenance and lack of common sense is the largest source of problems.

Edited by electricjohn
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:40 AM, oldjeep said:

I wouldn't worry about it.  I store all my gas powered equipment with what ever gas is in it and just add more the next time I use it.  I don't add any stabil or other snake lubricating products and run E10 in everything.   Must store around 100 gallons of gas for 6 months each summer/winter in the various seasonal toys and equipment.

This is what I do too.

On 3/22/2018 at 10:40 AM, oldjeep said:

I do the same. I try to use stabil in my 5gal cans in the fall, however no probs either way.  I h ave a 14yo decrepit push mower and it started on the first pull after having sat for 2 years..brought it out of retirement for the lake house. even mixed gas stuff works well sitting from winter to spring.  years ago, mixed gas wouldn' last very long.

regular E10 gas you let sit for 6-12 months and have no issues? I bought a SeaRay I/O years ago that guy let sit for 2yrs and it would not start (upside was I stole the boat cause it would not run...after compression checking it and other misc. Kept boat 3yrs and sold it for double what I paid). Anyway, took the carb apart and cause he ran E10, it looked like it had sand in in from the ethanol. I had to re-build the carb and drain the fuel tank...rinse and drain again cause there was so much junk in it. Even replaced the fuel lines cause the ethenol was deteriorating them. He swore to me that he did not use ethanol gas either, haha. I don't use ethanol gas in any of my toys....boat, bikes, quads, mowers, chainsaw, etc. Only put it in vehicles cause it burns thru fast enough. I am lucky to have it available to me in multiple places at gas stations nearby tho, I know some are not that lucky and regs are trying to make access even harder.

I agree on OP question that without ethanol he will not have an issue, add new gas and go. But have definately seen a lot of issues with E10 fuel sitting for long periods without stabilizer

Yup, regular old E10.  Fuel comes from the pump with more stabilizers than you could ever add in a thimble full of stabil.  2 years would be a long time for any gas, E10 or E0.  Never had a fuel related problem so far.  Most "Ethanol" problems are caused by fuel line that should have been replaced a long time ago or people buying fuel that is full of water when they buy it.  The other common issue is that the E10 cleans all the crap out of your neglected fuel system in a hurry and will plug up your fuel filter with all the junk that was in your tank and lines. 

We have had E10 in MN for around 25 years, can't recall the last time I heard of anyone having a fuel problem that wasn't related to lack of maint.  We can get E0 here at some stations for boats/toys, but I've never seen a reason to bother.  My 28 year old toro snowblower fires up every year, the mower starts on the first pull and the boat fires up when you hit the start button.

Edited by oldjeep
7 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Yup, regular old E10.  Fuel comes from the pump with more stabilizers than you could ever add in a thimble full of stabil.  2 years would be a long time for any gas, E10 or E0.  Never had a fuel related problem so far.  Most "Ethanol" problems are caused by fuel line that should have been replaced a long time ago or people buying fuel that is full of water when they buy it.  The other common issue is that the E10 cleans all the crap out of your neglected fuel system in a hurry and will plug up your fuel filter with all the junk that was in your tank and lines. 

We have had E10 in MN for around 25 years, can't recall the last time I heard of anyone having a fuel problem that wasn't related to lack of maint.  We can get E0 here at some stations for boats/toys, but I've never seen a reason to bother.  My 28 year old toro snowblower fires up every year, the mower starts on the first pull and the boat fires up when you hit the start button.

@oldjeep what about gas in CA?  Will this stuff survive a winter layup (5-6 months) without stabilizer?  I always add the stuff for cheap insurance and don't want to risk having problems.  With all the emissions crap in CA who knows what they are adding to our blend here.

21 minutes ago, Fman said:

@oldjeep what about gas in CA?  Will this stuff survive a winter layup (5-6 months) without stabilizer?  I always add the stuff for cheap insurance and don't want to risk having problems.  With all the emissions crap in CA who knows what they are adding to our blend here.

I dont attempt to explain anything that goes on in CA😁  No idea what they might do there with the gas. 

• Like 3

YUP!! We here in Commifornia have 2 blends of gas, a summer blend and a winter blend. I get better gas mileage in the summer, so I would put the boat away with summer fuel, or just try and run it low. Not sure if less fuel goes bad quicker than alot of fuel.

2 minutes ago, Choiceind said:

YUP!! We here in Commifornia have 2 blends of gas, a summer blend and a winter blend. I get better gas mileage in the summer, so I would put the boat away with summer fuel, or just try and run it low. Not sure if less fuel goes bad quicker than alot of fuel.

The idea of "winter" gas in CA makes me chuckle

34 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

The idea of "winter" gas in CA makes me chuckle

Think of it as "normal" and "summer" gas. The normal season gas will fire off too easy in the worm months of summer. 

3 hours ago, Choiceind said:

YUP!! We here in Commifornia have 2 blends of gas, a summer blend and a winter blend.

That actually happens everywhere.  Not a state-specific deal.  The vapor pressure varies by month, region, and octane.  Octane ratings sold also varies by (geographic) altitude...

https://blog.caranddriver.com/the-vapor-rub-summer-versus-winter-gasoline-explained/

They alter the blend by varying the amount of butane and pentane in the gas, also referred to as your C4 and C5 gases.  C4 being more stabile and giving you a lower VOC.

17 hours ago, Choiceind said:

"Commifornia" :rofl: LOL made my morning!

20 hours ago, Choiceind said:

Problem with leaving tank low is it is more prone to get water in tank since condensation will form in an empty tank. That is why they recommend that you store over winter with full tank. Just something to think about. I just changed my impeller, both fuel filters and belt today. Last things I had on my list to be ready for summer as soon as weather is decent again. My previous impeller came out looking brand new but changed it anyways, can use old one as a spare if needed