Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ecosport coatings

RCorsa

Picking up my M235 next couple weeks (in transit).  Dealer trying to sell me $995 coating to cover the exterior and interior (or I can do just the interior for $750)  Say it protects against stains and has a 5 year warranty with stuff like blue jeans, lipstick, blood, wine, etc.

I know a lot about detailing etc cars and was thinking about doing a ceramic coating like opticoat on the exterior but cant find anything out about this stuff (called Ecosport) online.

Anyone know anything on this.

2 hours ago, RCorsa said:

Picking up my M235 next couple weeks (in transit).  Dealer trying to sell me $995 coating to cover the exterior and interior (or I can do just the interior for $750)  Say it protects against stains and has a 5 year warranty with stuff like blue jeans, lipstick, blood, wine, etc.

I know a lot about detailing etc cars and was thinking about doing a ceramic coating like opticoat on the exterior but cant find anything out about this stuff (called Ecosport) online.

Anyone know anything on this.

I sell a similar coating for cars.  My cost is about $200 with a 7 year warranty.  I think a good (303) interior protectant and religious exterior wipedowns with speed gloss, hot sauce or my special concoction is money better spent.  You will want to wipe it down anyways.  What you are paying for when buying a product (snake oil) like that is the warranty.  It would be a big pass for me.

I've seen another companies ceramic product done on a boat. Was pretty dang slick. They did half of the boat so you could see the differences.

They got it dirty as hell and everything just rinsed off on the treated side and it looked brand new again. The other side required a lot of scrubbing, etc.

I imagine it would work well underwater as well. I'd ask for details on it.

Edited by 23LSVOwner

I talked to the guy best known for boat detailing in our area as well.  He offers another product called ceramic pro for $125/foot.  He said it only has a 3 year warranty although it’s unlimi for autos.  I’ve seen a few videos of that product and it looks legit but $3000 is a ton.  Please keep the comments coming as I need to decide by Monday.  Cheers 

My dealer offered me the same thing. I passed. I am installing my own ceramic coat on the exterior. For the interior I am just keeping clean and conditioned with Boat Bling. Basically what you are paying for on the interior coating is the warranty in case the seats ever rip or stain.

From what I’ve found out it’s not the coating that is hard to apply or expensive. It’s preparing the boat with a cut polish and getting rid of any swirl marks/imperfections. I was highly considering doing it but decided to go the wax route as it’ll last longer with little applications here and there. 

3 hours ago, saxton15 said:

How tough is it to install ceramic coating?  I keep seeing ads and such, but cannot find the details on installing it. 

It is not difficult to apply. The prep work is what takes time. You want to get any imperfections out of the gel, because once you put the ceramic coat they will be sealed under it. There are plenty of youtube videos out there on applying the coat for you to get an idea. I have had it on my cars and its like having a wax coating that last 5 years.

I've decided on not doing the dealer coating.  There is zero info about the product. I talked to the rep and he said it was testing in 2017 so not sure how they can offer a 5 year warranty with any certainty .  

My local highest rated boat detail shop recommended "Ceramic pro" if I was going to do a coating.  There is a fair bit of info on this product and it looks pretty legit.  Its a bit more expensive but knowing the installer and his reputation I figure its worth it.

9 hours ago, RCorsa said:

I've decided on not doing the dealer coating.  There is zero info about the product. I talked to the rep and he said it was testing in 2017 so not sure how they can offer a 5 year warranty with any certainty .  

My local highest rated boat detail shop recommended "Ceramic pro" if I was going to do a coating.  There is a fair bit of info on this product and it looks pretty legit.  Its a bit more expensive but knowing the installer and his reputation I figure its worth it.

Ceramic Pro was the stuff I saw.

Has anyone heard of Toughguard (www.toughguard.com)?  It sounds similar to these coatings being discussed...their site says the US Navy uses it.  Just curious if anyone has used it or has any thoughts/comments.

The bottom line is that the “easy application” products are what those in the detail business call “sacrificial layers” which is basically like a slightly more durable wax.  They are meant to be used on TOP of real ceramic coatings.  Many of the companies that make them calll them ceramics for marketing only but they don’t offer the same level of protection that real ceramics do.  Think of them as a ceramic that protects the ceramic that protects the clear coat or gel coat.  There is a big time auto detail shop in Ohio that does multimillion dollar car collections and is big on Ferrari forums that also has great videos and introductions on applications that details this. I have zero affiliation with them but have bought one of these from them in the past for my cars that had film and professional grade ceramics on them.  

https://www.esotericdetail.com/

I also came across an interesting car forum where a few of these sacrificial layers were compared and basically found little difference and  some people argue that many of them are the same exact product being rebranded .   

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion/4097886-kamikaze-overcoat-v-hydrosilex-recharge-v-22ple-vs1-final-coat.html

On 4/6/2018 at 6:31 PM, roonedoggie said:

https://hydrosilex.com/

Washing the boat this next week so will let folks know....

I bought some over the winter and just got around to doing my truck.  I can't believe how good the stuff works.  I followed the directions and just washed the truck first and then applied. (I sprayed it on and wiped off with microfiber)  We had a week of rain after I did it and drove 12 miles down the highway at 60mph in the pouring rain and never touched the wipers.  It beaded up and blew off the windshield.  I just put new wheels and tires on the truck so I used the opportunity to use the hydrosilex on the new wheels.  Truck still gets dirty but just hosing it off makes a huge difference.  My truck is black so it only looked clean for a day in the past.  I also like that it is a product that works even better layered so you can use it as much as you want.  I have done two applications now and didn't use 40% of 16oz.  I have since ordered two more 32oz (one for me and my dad was impressed so he asked for a bottle.)

I am really on the fence about doing the whole boat with it, not because I don't think it works but I have always hand waxed in the spring, wiped down after each use and then hit it with hot sauce.  I have been doing this for 10 years so it just seems wrong to change the process but...its so easy if I do.  I think my NEW plan is to still hand wax boat and trailer but the hull of the boat will get Hydrosilex'd.  I may also try and 1/2 and 1/2 on the boat sides so I have a comparison but not sure my OCD will allow this.

• Like 2