Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Easiest way to gas fill your boat at the dock?

WhiteWaterWeb

2 hours ago, Woodski said:

Go with the 1" super jiggler, much quicker.

I was going to order the 1" but it says its 1-3/4" at its widest.   Will that fit in a standard red can?

I have the smaller 1/2" version and love it .. just have a need for speed.  I think TWO 1" jigglers might be perfect!

Another cans and jiggler. I think it's 3/4 or 1 inch and its fast.  If I am going to pull a lot of sets I just stack cans on a hand cart and go down but otherwise 10 gal is a good fill for a ski tug.

280 gallon fuel tank (legally installed :)) hose and valves and spigot.

Local fuel delivery for about the same price as gas station as long as you buy 250+ gallons.

Legal installation may depend on your local codes.

11 hours ago, minnmarker said:

280 gallon fuel tank (legally installed :)) hose and valves and spigot.

Local fuel delivery for about the same price as gas station as long as you buy 250+ gallons.

Legal installation may depend on your local codes.

^ This

I did the same thing with a 900 gal tank. In most states, under 1000 gallon tanks will group the tank into the same permitting category as home heating fuel/propane tanks. So, as long as it's a smaller tank, and you aren't selling the gas to other people, most would be good to go......

Also, i think in most states, "pleasure boating" is not applicable for highway tax on the fuel, so the fuel company doesn't have to charge you for that. My fuel company charges me the same price as they charge a gas station, as long as I take 500 gallons per delivery. They gave me the tank to use, as well as a used fuel pump.

i would recommend that more of you check into something like this. You might be surprised how easy it is. I put a lot of hours on, and not only is this incredibly easy, but it saves me huge $$ every year.

If pump cost for 91 non ethanol is $2.50/gal, then the marina's are probably charging $3.75/gal,  and my delivered price would be right around $2.10/gal. It adds up....

2 hours ago, The Hulk said:

I do the same as Hulk.  He's got the best and one of the least expensive options.   Using a 1" siphon will empty that 5 gallon can as fast as you can fill it at the pump.  Those 14 and 25 gal containers are difficult to get out of the truck or transport down stairs and through sand to the shore.  The 1" siphon fits easily into our 5 gal cans but note that it is a tight fit in our 2017 Malibu.  Gassing up with portable containers is easy with this approach.  

Here's the one we bought on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Gas-Siphon-Original-Safety-Grade/dp/B01N1ZR2SN/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1521637245&sr=8-10&keywords=safety+siphon

17 minutes ago, Zita said:

Be careful using a non-red container to transport gasoline.  I'm not in favor of over-abundant laws, but they're out there.

Haven't heard of these laws or anyone enforcing them anyways, is this federal or state?

1 hour ago, 1HELLUVALIFE said:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/4666/48008/LC-LC2-Utility-Jug-with-12"-Filler-Hose  Always used this style can, or VP.  Way better than the newer EPA cans.

This, with a modified pour tube.  I can dump 6 gallons in 25 seconds.  Then unscrew the cap, screw it on next can and off ya go.  Its easy enough to have everyone walking to the dock carry two and in 1 trip youre full.

23 minutes ago, 1HELLUVALIFE said:

Haven't heard of these laws or anyone enforcing them anyways, is this federal or state?

Guy at Costco gave me an earfull one day about all the different color cans I was filling. 

I have some VP as well , just liked the double handles on the LC cans. Also nice to be able to repair/build your own filler hose if you need one longer as well.

Edited by 1HELLUVALIFE
32 minutes ago, 1HELLUVALIFE said:

Read the "Container Markings" paragraph at the bottom of page 1.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/bulletin16_9113_7.pdf

Containers must be marked according to Act 328 of the Public Acts of 1931, commonly known as the Red Can Act. This act requires that the container be vermilion bright red and has the word "Gasoline," "Benzene," or "Naphtha" lettered on it when it is used to carry these liquids. Containers holding other liquids shall be of a different color and lettered with the name of the liquid contained therein.

I've only been hassled at the pump; not by anyone in law enforcement.  For me it's just easier to use blue for kerosene, yellow for diesel, and red for gas

21 hours ago, Gavin17 said:

We have a gas station a block from the ramp. I pull the boat drive to the gas station and fill 50 gal.  

Way faster than 10 5 gal cans and I don't need to do it very often. 

Pretty much the same here, except 40 gal.  No gas in the lake either!

I use a 1" ID hose about 4' long.  Set the can on dock, take off storage cap, put on pour cap, stuff hose in gas tank, flip can over, squeeze hard, then open breather valve.  20 seconds later, reverse steps and start on next can. 

9 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

I use a 1" ID hose about 4' long.  Set the can on dock, take off storage cap, put on pour cap, stuff hose in gas tank, flip can over, squeeze hard, then open breather valve.  20 seconds later, reverse steps and start on next can. 

Not exactly sure what the "squeeze hard" is referring to, but thanks for the laugh at work this morning.

31 minutes ago, River Monsters said:

Not exactly sure what the "squeeze hard" is referring to, but thanks for the laugh at work this morning.

HAHA I was referring to the can.  If you dont create a little vacuum in the can, itll pour out of the breather.

Siphon all the way who actually wants to hold 5 gallons up in the air even if it is for 30 seconds.. ha.. 

I can fit 6gal in my tall 5gal cans, I am about 48gal with 8 cans .. takes me 7-8 mins to go through them which includes unscrewing and rescrewing the caps back on.. all you have to do is tilt the can a little bit so the siphon can get the last bit out.. 

• Like 1