Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Easiest way to gas fill your boat at the dock?

WhiteWaterWeb

2 hours ago, TC_2006_VLX said:

For $575 bucks I can buy alot of over priced marina gas...

We just use a magliner we've had forever. No need for the expensive cart

1 hour ago, Monkeybutt said:

actually you can ... I'm using the same ones but with a  different approach - the 1" hose goes into the top and I usually push it into the molded handle section, blowing with a 2nd hose air into canister to get fuel into boat - after that gravity does the rest - obviously only works if you have the canister above the boat (dock etc.).  Once you get to the bottom you just lightly lift the canister at the other end to pool the gas - my leftover is usually less then 1/4 gallon.

Do you have a pic? Not sure I’m following you.

16 hours ago, braindamage said:

I lift the empty into back of my vehicle. Then fill it without getting it out (yeah, probably not what they recommend but I’ve never had a problem) then slide it out when full. That way I am never lifting the thing when full.

You could make a ground wire very easy and take any chance out. Its not very common but if you ever have a issue it escalates very fast.

2 hours ago, goodmatt78 said:

I did this last year for about $15.  Works awesome and it is quick as I take the nozzles off the cans and dump in directly.

Capture.JPG.fbb58c7b9b883f7b219a5e959f6af1a5.JPG

I was just going to suggest a look in Youtube for this setup. I was going to put one together but am now happy with the siphon.

7 hours ago, WhiteWaterWeb said:

Yes, thinking of going ahead with one (or 2) Duramax 14 gallon containers and the siphon hose (the one Hulk recommended). I don't care about the nozzle and hose the Duramax comes with, unless someone can recommend another 12-14 gallon container with wheels (no nozzle).

Cheers.

Umm u plan on Carrying them? Have fun.. lifting them in and out of a car/truck that is..

5 hours ago, braindamage said:

Do you have a pic? Not sure I’m following you.

sorry - it's still snowing here ;-) ... well not with boat :yahoo:but this will do ...

gas can.pdf

once you get to the bottom of the can - just position the filling hose into one of the top corners and lift the bottom part about a foot so all the gas pools where you have the suction ... that will pretty much empty the can.  As mentioned earlier - you don't need to blow hard into the pressure tube - you just end up spilling gas out - just a slight increase will push the gas into the filling line and into the boat.  Works like a charm - I know people swear on the jiggler but this is the fastest way I can fill the boat and I guarantee you that you beat the time it takes you to fill the 14 gallons at the pump.  This way I fill 42 gallons in less than 5 minutes ... only annoying part is that the 3 containers don't fit next to each other in the SUV ... so I have to fill one from the rear door instead of the hatch :(

these are flo n'go duramax - as mentioned earlier - I removed the delivered hose/pump ... useless ...  the wheels work for about 2 months and then you have to loosen up the nuts again - they just tighten themselves when rolling the canisters around when full ... so after a while the wheels are braking ...  Northern tools will have a sale on those every other month or so for 99 bucks ... that's when I stock up

Edited by Monkeybutt
missing info
  • Like 1

Yes I plan on lifting them, and/or using a piece of wood to ramp them off the truck with the wheels. The ATV trailer will help too in a pinch - just looking for a 12-14 gallon can with wheels.

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:56 PM, Sixball said:

You could make a ground wire very easy and take any chance out. Its not very common but if you ever have a issue it escalates very fast.

Your tires are loaded with carbon which makes them an excellent ground.  Gas stations are built to eliminate static but bed liners or plastic covering defeat the idea.

Just a little useless tidbit;  some of the most elaborate grounding is at tollbooths to protect the toll collectors from get zapped when they are handed change or contact the vehicle.

Edited by electricjohn
speling

Is this a completely stupid idea to add air pressure to one of these? What about an electric air pump? What about combining this and then the bigger hose?

2 hours ago, Goodjhunting said:

Is this a completely stupid idea to add air pressure to one of these? What about an electric air pump? What about combining this and then the bigger hose?

Take pics when you try 😂

chances are that you end up spilling more than you get into the boat.  As outlined earlier a 1” outside diameter hose is the max you can get into the opening.  I never had the bad luck to have the gas spilling back because the air can’t escape but I would bet that you’ll end up with a pretty big mess except you’re op I guess the other gas cap to let air escape.  The time you theoretically save by applying pressure is easily offset by not having to d*** around with more equipment etc.  gravity filled is pretty fast and I said before I’ll beat the pump at the gas station when filling boat.  I’ll time it once I get the boat delivered and ice is finally gone up here ...

FYI northern tools has the sale going for 99 bucks - got flyer yesterday

• Like 1

Getting gas into the fill hole is the problem. I want to fuel my boat in the boat shed. The fill port is 6.5 ft high off the floor. I have the 14gal tank already.  I tried hoisting it from the rafters to fuel the boat...it was a PITA.  It might work.

Great thread; is there anywhere I can get a long(100ft) gas hose? I live on a steep hill, and carrying my gas caddy down the stairs is such a hassle. It would so much easier to just run the hose down the hill and pump all the way down.

22 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

Getting gas into the fill hole is the problem. I want to fuel my boat in the boat shed. The fill port is 6.5 ft high off the floor. I have the 14gal tank already.  I tried hoisting it from the rafters to fuel the boat...it was a PITA.  It might work.

I am building a new house right now....with a detached garage for my boat that I am making 16ft wide X 32ft long X 14ft high ceiling....12x12 garage door so I should not have to drop the tower to drive it in. Anyway, I designed a pulley system that will attach to one of the rafters, hooked to a small platform. I will be able to place gas can(s) on platform and then elevate fuel cans however high I need them and then use the siphon hose to fill so I do not have to set the gas can on the sundeck (I put a towel under it before)....and dont have to lift them anymore even tho my boat is not as large/tall as your is. Most of the time now, I just swing by gas station since I pass them on way to lake now....but new house is on the lake so I will be fueling in garage much more often. Love the shaker siphon hoses, super easy and tilting the can for the last 20 seconds, gets just about every drop of fuel out of the cans. I can go on lake for entire day and only need roughly 20-25 gallons, so not that big a deal to me. I like to save money and not buy fuel from marina's on the lake

2 hours ago, abovewater said:

Great thread; is there anywhere I can get a long(100ft) gas hose? I live on a steep hill, and carrying my gas caddy down the stairs is such a hassle. It would so much easier to just run the hose down the hill and pump all the way down.

Burried cooper tubing with fittings on each end.

It's what I have from my tank to the dock.

1 hour ago, Infinitysurf said:

I am building a new house right now....with a detached garage for my boat that I am making 16ft wide X 32ft long X 14ft high ceiling....12x12 garage door so I should not have to drop the tower to drive it in. Anyway, I designed a pulley system that will attach to one of the rafters, hooked to a small platform. I will be able to place gas can(s) on platform and then elevate fuel cans however high I need them and then use the siphon hose to fill so I do not have to set the gas can on the sundeck (I put a towel under it before)....and dont have to lift them anymore even tho my boat is not as large/tall as your is. Most of the time now, I just swing by gas station since I pass them on way to lake now....but new house is on the lake so I will be fueling in garage much more often. Love the shaker siphon hoses, super easy and tilting the can for the last 20 seconds, gets just about every drop of fuel out of the cans. I can go on lake for entire day and only need roughly 20-25 gallons, so not that big a deal to me. I like to save money and not buy fuel from marina's on the lake

Hopefully it will work out better for you.  I might try the pressurizing method or buy yet another device..that drop and fill. Your boat shed and your house right next to it sounds awesome!

3 hours ago, Infinitysurf said:

off topic, gonna need to see photos of the new garage.....awesome size

21 hours ago, Infinitysurf said:

If new house is on a lake why is the boat in the garage?

2 hours ago, 05hammerhead said:

If new house is on a lake why is the boat in the garage?

Building in lakefront community, but water is a couple hundred feet from my house, I am 3 houses removed from lakefront. Not able to afford lakefront property in this area yet, least $400k for an acre of dirt plus the $1m house I would need to build to make it fit the community and sell down the road. I am working my way there, but not there yet! I am a builder, so I flip every 2 years. Maybe in 2 more houses I can get there since I make money every time I flip and since its my primary home, no capitol gains tax on the profit long as you live there 2 years.

20 hours ago, AussieSkier said:

off topic, gonna need to see photos of the new garage.....awesome size

Pouring footers tomorrow for house and garage, will post pics of the boat garage when done

• Like 1

If anyone is interested, this is what I did (no pictures right now as this is all 2 states away...

I bought a big water bottle, the type you put in a dispenser (Hinckley and Schmidt type).  After I drank the water (not all at once) I turned it over and cut off the plastic bottom.   I got some PVC pieces and used a gasoline safe caulk to seal these connectors to the little spout opening.  I connected a tube to these pieces.   If you can't picture it, the water bottle now looks like a HUGE funnel that holds almost 5 gallons with a long hose connected to the end of the funnel.

Next I built a frame out of 2 milk containers.  These are the square plastic boxes that college kids sometimes build shelves out of or use for storage.   I built something that looks like a box kite.  I cut a hole in the top container so that the funnel would fit through it and set the funnel contraption inside the top of the box kite contraption.  Now it looks like a giant funnel that is raised up in a box with the hose freely dangling from the top "box" of the box kite.

To fill the gas I set the box kite contraption next to the boat, put the hose into the gas fill of the boat.  Then I take a 5 gallon gas can, without the gas spigot, and dump the gas into the funnel contraption.   The gas flows into the boat in record time, as long as the contraption is higher up than the boat (doesn't work on the lift).

I can get two 5 gallon containers into the boat in probably less than 30 seconds.

7 minutes ago, CedarLakeSkier said:

If anyone is interested, this is what I did (no pictures right now as this is all 2 states away...

I bought a big water bottle, the type you put in a dispenser (Hinckley and Schmidt type).  After I drank the water (not all at once) I turned it over and cut off the plastic bottom.   I got some PVC pieces and used a gasoline safe caulk to seal these connectors to the little spout opening.  I connected a tube to these pieces.   If you can't picture it, the water bottle now looks like a HUGE funnel that holds almost 5 gallons with a long hose connected to the end of the funnel.

Next I built a frame out of 2 milk containers.  These are the square plastic boxes that college kids sometimes build shelves out of or use for storage.   I built something that looks like a box kite.  I cut a hole in the top container so that the funnel would fit through it and set the funnel contraption inside the top of the box kite contraption.  Now it looks like a giant funnel that is raised up in a box with the hose freely dangling from the top "box" of the box kite.

To fill the gas I set the box kite contraption next to the boat, put the hose into the gas fill of the boat.  Then I take a 5 gallon gas can, without the gas spigot, and dump the gas into the funnel contraption.   The gas flows into the boat in record time, as long as the contraption is higher up than the boat (doesn't work on the lift).

I can get two 5 gallon containers into the boat in probably less than 30 seconds.

I like this method!

• 5 years later...

So after having read all of this here, I just resigned myself to using the 5 gallon cans... Then I was a Tractor Supply and saw the cans that look like the VP Racing cans for $25, and couldn't resist. They completely seal (I don't get gas leaking down them and into my wife's car), they empty in about one minute, and have proven to be the easiest thing for us. We also got the bigger shaker siphon which was quicker than the 1/2" but this is way quicker. We also got hose bender attachments coming from Amazon, which should make the whole thing even easier.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/plastic-product-formers-5-gal-utility-jug-white-square-w-hose-3953

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KTQ4YH2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details