Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Easiest way to gas fill your boat at the dock?

WhiteWaterWeb

On 3/20/2018 at 10:23 AM, oldjeep said:

Looked awesome but how long is the hose or do you still have to fill cans

if you could go parallel land to lift/dock great but some configurations are many feet

chevked price,  quote only

i bet that’s $2500 or more to safely carry fuel in traffic

we drive the 5 gallon cans to dock and use a 3/4 inch siphon with the brass screen fitting snd a marble inside or the big hose from tractor supply

14 gallon  is a stupid lift of 120lbs or more and still need 2 or 3 and as jeep said are slow

The big hose from TSupply,  you can have one for each can, is fast 

You can stack 5 gallon cans in wheel barrow low to ground with no extra lift to get in it other than standing with can 

if you have golf cart and big dock walkway use what ever you want 

I have my own cans used for someone else’s boat, I can bring my 4 or 5 can contribution of premium with me in my pickup and get that gas at close by stations by myself inly lifting 5 gallons 43- 45 lbs up into bed at a time

if owner doing all by myself with 14 gallon that’s 2 or more 120lb lifts at station, two or more down from bed at lift then use wheels

when i get to dock that’s two cans simultaneous lifts out of bed at 45 per arm and then a short walk , or 4 trips one at a time,

smaller lifts I prefer while sweating my arse off in summer

Edited by granddaddy55

+1 on the flo-n-go

DuraMax Flo n' Go LE Fluid Transfer Pump and 14-Gallon Rolling Gas Can https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MT94QA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_k.VSAb484R42P

Comments:

1) replace that stupid pump that takes forever to fill with a valve and 1/2”ID tubing. Fills in about 2 mins. Probably $10-15 from your local hdwe. See attached below

2) while it’s 14gals, I can never get more than 12 gal out of it. 2 gal stays in no matter what I do.

C5584C0B-8289-44BB-99C0-87BDB10058DE.jpeg

Edited by braindamage
4 minutes ago, braindamage said:

+1 on the flo-n-go

DuraMax Flo n' Go LE Fluid Transfer Pump and 14-Gallon Rolling Gas Can https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MT94QA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_k.VSAb484R42P

Comments:

1) replace that stupid pump that takes forever to fill with a valve and 1/2”ID tubing. Fills in about 2 mins. Probably $10-15 from your local hdwe. See attached below

2) while it’s 14gals, I can never get more than 12 gal out of it. 2 gal stays in no matter what I do.

Great so I’m lifting 120 at station and back out ifbtruck to get 102 lbs of gas, you just lost me 

16 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

Great so I’m lifting 120 at station and back out ifbtruck to get 102 lbs of gas, you just lost me 

I lift the empty into back of my vehicle. Then fill it without getting it out (yeah, probably not what they recommend but I’ve never had a problem) then slide it out when full. That way I am never lifting the thing when full.

2 minutes ago, braindamage said:

I lift the empty into back of my vehicle. Then fill it without getting it out (yeah, probably not what they recommend but I’ve never had a problem) then slide it out when full. That way I am never lifting the thing when full.

Some stations enforce that , I just do it as the signs prohibit it

what tailgate level cart are you sliding it onto? You Must have one I guess for your set up

I'm still a 57yo youngster. I can lift the 14gal tank into my truck no probs.  it was the gas leaking onto my arm and the floor of the shed...pita. that 575 dollar unit looks pretty good.  I would have to pump the gas from the floor to my fill cap which is about 6 or 7ft off the garage floor. wonder if it would do that.  I was trying to fuel my boat when it is in the boat shed. don' have a slip.

10 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

Sure hope those aren’t full. I feel like if i put gas in my mini it would bottom out. 

They arent in the pic, but definitely full after.   All full, its only 300lbs, so youve got a few hundred more before you need to worry. 

15 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Siphon all the way who actually wants to hold 5 gallons up in the air even if it is for 30 seconds.. ha.. 

I can fit 6gal in my tall 5gal cans, I am about 48gal with 8 cans .. takes me 7-8 mins to go through them which includes unscrewing and rescrewing the caps back on.. all you have to do is tilt the can a little bit so the siphon can get the last bit out.. 

You realize its only 5 gallons for the first second?  

32 minutes ago, Falko said:

I like that idea, but I see it becoming a big stinky mess after a while. I would not want to use that if I didn't have an open bed truck.

I keep thinking that things gotta fill with dirt/dust over time.  Maybe its got a lid or something, but I didnt see that in the pictures. 

A lot of cool things to get this done but just don't see any reason for more then the 3/4 or 1 inch siphon hose. I keep an old towel in the ski trunk put it down set my gas can on it. On the trunk shake the hose and in two minutes I have 5.2 gal in the boat. If you take the last minute to angle the can and move the pickup into the corner it take 98% of the fuel out of the can.  I guess for me its just easy. Buy then A fill up for us is ten gallons. We are not looking for weight and living on the lake is a big bonus! I can't even get the boat ready for the ski sets before the fuel is in. I have a fuel stop just across the lake but the price for fuel on the lake is crazy.

• Like 1

Yes, thinking of going ahead with one (or 2) Duramax 14 gallon containers and the siphon hose (the one Hulk recommended). I don't care about the nozzle and hose the Duramax comes with, unless someone can recommend another 12-14 gallon container with wheels (no nozzle).

Cheers.

I use a piece of ballast hose and took some black tape and make a ball on the hose so that it can seal agains the opening of the gas can, make sure the end of the hose can reach the bottom of the can, put the gas can on the sun pad , push the tape ball hard agains the opening, then squeeze the can to start flow, then pull the ball out half a inch from the can opening for air flow, it takes 10-15 secs to empty the can. 

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
19 minutes ago, Sixball said:

A lot of cool things to get this done but just don't see any reason for more then the 3/4 or 1 inch siphon hose. I keep an old towel in the ski trunk put it down set my gas can on it. On the trunk shake the hose and in two minutes I have 5.2 gal in the boat. If you take the last minute to angle the can and move the pickup into the corner it take 98% of the fuel out of the can.  I guess for me its just easy. Buy then A fill up for us is ten gallons. We are not looking for weight and living on the lake is a big bonus! I can't even get the boat ready for the ski sets before the fuel is in. I have a fuel stop just across the lake but the price for fuel on the lake is crazy.

I 100% agree. Especially because the siphon hose costs 10-20 dollars. 

1 hour ago, TC_2006_VLX said:

For $575 bucks I can buy alot of over priced marina gas...

We got ours at fleet farm for about $350 or so. I’ve seen them at boat shows for about $400. Still expensive, but we’ve get it has been worth it. 

Edited by SouthsideBoarder

I did this last year for about $15.  Works awesome and it is quick as I take the nozzles off the cans and dump in directly.

Capture.JPG.fbb58c7b9b883f7b219a5e959f6af1a5.JPG

Edited by goodmatt78
  • Like 2
14 hours ago, braindamage said:

+1 on the flo-n-go

Comments:

actually you can ... I'm using the same ones but with a  different approach - the 1" hose goes into the top and I usually push it into the molded handle section, blowing with a 2nd hose air into canister to get fuel into boat - after that gravity does the rest - obviously only works if you have the canister above the boat (dock etc.).  Once you get to the bottom you just lightly lift the canister at the other end to pool the gas - my leftover is usually less then 1/4 gallon.

15 hours ago, braindamage said:

+1 on the flo-n-go

Comments:

I use the same thing as @braindamage, works awesome. only difference is I tig welded up a dolley with 12" wheels on it so I can track thru the sand and so it rolls nice. literally 30 seconds to drain.

I leave mine in the bed of the truck when filling and just slide the dolley out when taking down to the dock.

3 hours ago, wbama387 said:

I like this idea. I think I might go this route.

we use this, super easy. tanks are a little heave so we just throw them on a magliner 2 wheeler  to get it down to the lift and it fits perfect. throw a strap on it real quick if you have some terrain to go over. Super fast and very easy. Expensive but worth it