Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Easiest way to gas fill your boat at the dock?

WhiteWaterWeb

Hi all - just curious what you use to gas up your boat at the dock without breaking your back or having to make 4 trips to the local gas station? We don't have a marina on our lake but we have a gas station nearby...filling up a 48 gallon 21 VLX might kill me if I don't get some tips. I have heard of 'fill buddies' and 'jiggler siphons'....your help is appreciated.

Cheers!

We use a cart called the Flo And Go and a couple of normal gas can. If I where you I would buy a better one then this one https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/safety/safety-cans/fuel-gas/polyethylene-plastic-gas-caddy-fuel-tank-14-gallon-capacity?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CjwKCAjw4sLVBRAlEiwASblR-6tq21G9n1wLJCer4WRwwadJKSSM2OO77hjS54PutNvfvkR43x913hoCRg4QAvD_BwE

Don't buy one to big because you won't get it out of the car. That's why I use a couple of small cans with it and just refill the cart.

Another option is just pull the boat and fill at the gas station. Then you can fill up boat all the way and it will last a couple days😂. We do this when we are going to use the boat a lot.  

6 minutes ago, roeboat said:

We use a cart called the Flo And Go and a couple of normal gas can. If I where you I would buy a better one then this one https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/safety/safety-cans/fuel-gas/polyethylene-plastic-gas-caddy-fuel-tank-14-gallon-capacity?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CjwKCAjw4sLVBRAlEiwASblR-6tq21G9n1wLJCer4WRwwadJKSSM2OO77hjS54PutNvfvkR43x913hoCRg4QAvD_BwE

Don't buy one to big because you won't get it out of the car. That's why I use a couple of small cans with it and just refill the cart.

Another option is just pull the boat and fill at the gas station. Then you can fill up boat all the way and it will last a couple days😂. We do this when we are going to use the boat a lot.  

We used to have one of those to fill snowmobiles - slow as heck

I have one of those caddy filler jigger thingy tanks and I was looking for something to fill my boat when in the shed.  I had to use rope falls to hoist it from the rafters and then gravity feed into the boat..while on a stepladder.  it took an hour to transfer 25gal into the boat, the jugcs leaked on my arm and I got a mold burn from the gas.  didn' know gas would do it but my arm was wet for a half hr. all in all it was a huge PITA.  screw it, I just go to the marina.  if I towed to gas station that would kill 1.5hrs. ain' nobody got time fo dat.

ahopkins22LSV
12 minutes ago, bm11 said:

Has anyone tried a Drop N Fill? Looks pretty slick to me.

I’ve seen lots of advertisements for this but for the price I’ll stick with my jigger siphon hose. 

there's one more method ... which is about the fastest filling you can get and likely beats any pump and the jigger because if will restrict flow ... put a 1" outside diameter into a 14 gallon fuel tank (flow 'n go - Northern tools has a sale every 6 months or so on those for $99 -  then toss that stupid hose/hand pump combination) - other end goes into boat.  Cover tank opening with a towel and use a 2nd hose like 3/8" or so to blow air into gas canister - no need to blow hard - otherwise you just spill on the dock ... gas will go up the hose and over into tank and at that point gravity will do the rest.  I empty the 14 gallon tank faster than it fills at the pump.  That still means that you have to drive to the gas station and fill a few (in your case 4) of those up ;-) ... but I like this a lot because I don't have to take them out of the trunk (SUV) when filling so I can just keep pumping until I reach the 100$ limit for the credit authorization ...

Edited by Monkeybutt
missed topic
  • Like 2

I use the plastic 5 gal cans.  I threw away the idiot-proof spouts (that actually caused more spills for me than any other safety device) and put the regular easy flow ones on there, and installed vents in the cans.  Takes no time at all, and easy to transport.  If you have 3 people going to the boat, everybody grabs 2 cans apiece, and it's no big deal.

• Like 1

i use 2 5 gallon gas cans and a shaker siphon - just fill it up every time we go out - we're on a small lake so it doesnt usually eat 10 gallons each outting. 

• Like 1

I use a 30 gallon gravity feed on wheels for ours.  When unloaded it is easy enough to get in the back of the truck, then when I get back from the gas station I roll it from the back of the truck on to the back of the golf cart and drive it down to the boat.  Since it is on the back of the golf cart it stays higher than the boat.  This is what works for me.  My neighbor uses just the 5 gallon cans and his golf cart to fill his up.

We have a gas station a block from the ramp. I pull the boat drive to the gas station and fill 50 gal.  

Way faster than 10 5 gal cans and I don't need to do it very often. 

43 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

I use the plastic 5 gal cans.  I threw away the idiot-proof spouts (that actually caused more spills for me than any other safety device) and put the regular easy flow ones on there, and installed vents in the cans.  Takes no time at all, and easy to transport.  If you have 3 people going to the boat, everybody grabs 2 cans apiece, and it's no big deal.

The problem with the newer boats is that they put the fuel fill on the sides instead of the back center of the boat. It makes it really hard to fill without getting a some kind of hose.  

8 minutes ago, roeboat said:

The problem with the newer boats is that they put the fuel fill on the sides instead of the back center of the boat. It makes it really hard to fill without getting a some kind of hose.  

Ah, good point.  I know what you mean.

ahopkins22LSV
3 hours ago, roeboat said:

That’s why the jigger siphon hose is great. Basically set it and forget it. It’s like $10 on Amazon. 

2 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

That’s why the jigger siphon hose is great. Basically set it and forget it. It’s like $10 on Amazon. 

Ive got one for the week we are at a cabin each year, but feeding a hungry boat 5 gallons at a time is pretty painful.