Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Skier floor replacement

Mintfooter91

Started tearing up the floors in my 87 skier tonight. There isn't a single bit if plywood that's solid. Its all just rotten and the only thing holding it up was the soaked flotation foam, fingers crossed the stringers are good. I was just wondering what everyone was doing for replacement materials. Was thinking that precutting and sealing all my plywood with resin before I screw it and resin it back in would be good but I was also thinking that something like the yellow fiberglass sheeting they put up in new construction might be a good option. Just looking for suggestions.

I'm certain it costs a lot more than the plywood solution, but for sure I'd go with the fiberglass sheeting or an equivalent.  If you google "fiberglass composite sheeting" you'll see lots of options.  If weight is a concern the honeycomb stuff might be an option, but I'd at least look at Koosa board as a baseline.  Having just done a fair amount of resin work for my floor, the thought of just laying this stuff down and sealing the corners/gaps then brushing on a top coat is really appealing compared to all the resin/fiberglass work of using plywood.  Plus, you can say there is no wood in the floors when it is time to sell.

11 hours ago, Woodski said:

@Mintfooter91:  good suggestion by @formulaben, you can also do a search on this forum and see several Skier refurbishing threads that include full floor and stringer replacement projects.  Several proud owners of square windshield Malibu's on this site.

:biggrin:!  well for a good reason!

Coosa Bluewater can be used for structural and flooring.  1/3 the weight of wood, three times the strength, and a lifetime product.  Used it in my 1970 Winner for new flooring only because original stringers were glass and did not need replacement.  Picture of the boat in the photo thread, late Feb. 2016.  I have a piece of the Coosa soaking in salt water for the last three years and it's still like new.