Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2010 23LSV Stock setup

Ryan1776

7 minutes ago, Ryan1776 said:

Such as? 

Do I like how it sounds? You wont find this in a spec. 

Build quality. Is it a true marine speaker or a converted or disguised car door speaker. What materials is it built with. What build characteristics do we see, like sealed magnet, leads instead of a push-on spade terminal. Grill or bridge mounted tweeter over a pole mounted tweeter. if it is a pole mounted tweeter, is there a weather boot or an open gap. Steel basket or something composite/plastic or aluminum? 

Dome tweeter or hybrid W

Looks? Ill take a good looking speaker before worrying about a couple dB's difference in sensitivity between two open-air marine speakers.

Price. Ill take the better value speaker

2 hours ago, MLA said:

Do I like how it sounds? You wont find this in a spec. 

Build quality. Is it a true marine speaker or a converted or disguised car door speaker. What materials is it built with. What build characteristics do we see, like sealed magnet, leads instead of a push-on spade terminal. Grill or bridge mounted tweeter over a pole mounted tweeter. if it is a pole mounted tweeter, is there a weather boot or an open gap. Steel basket or something composite/plastic or aluminum? 

Dome tweeter or hybrid W

Looks? Ill take a good looking speaker before worrying about a couple dB's difference in sensitivity between two open-air marine speakers.

Price. Ill take the better value speaker

Good stuff. I hope you didn't take my question as rude. 

Everything I've been talking about is based upon the fact that I haven't even heard it yet. 
So I'll install the sub I have and see how it sounds. If it's close to what I had/have in my other boat, I won't even worry about it. 
You're dead nuts right on the first point. How does it sound. That's really the end all be all. If I like it, who cares about anything else. 
I know the RF that are in there are marine spec you can tell by the price and was picked by an OEM for such an application. The Polks I have are really very good, but to you're point are most likely "converted" car audio components. That being said they've lived in a fairly unforgiving location on my boat for 4-5 years now. So not too bad for the price, and they sound great. 

Ryan 

Edited by Ryan1776
  • 1 month later...

I also have a 2010 with the stock system.  It does have a sub and 4 6x9's in the titan cans on the tower. I change to Rockford 6x9's last year in the tower speakers as two of the factory ones died. 

I added an Audio Control 3.2 EQ when I first got the boat and it was like a whole new system.  I built a weather proof box for the EQ and have had no problems over the last 7 years.  I believe Wet Sounds makes a similar unit.

I wanted to keep the Black Box as a base because I like the auto volume.  The EQ is awesome because I have an actual volume knob so it is really easy to adjust the volume fast when I want to.  I also at an Excile Bluetooth module.  I ran a cable into the glove box and use that to plug into the aux input.  I like that route because it is easy to just unplug that and plug in aux cord if someone doesn't want to mess with Bluetooth.

I am going to replace my sub this year as I believe I have over stressed the old one and it isn't what it used to be.

11 hours ago, BSUBU_Kris said:

I believe W## S***** makes a similar unit.

Quite different actually. No other like it on the market. Independent in-boat and tower volume rather then fade. Most significantly, the unit is a dual EQ in one. There 4 EQ settings for the tower on an outer dial and then 4 for the in-boat on an inner knob. ALL others are a single EQ that changes both tower and in-boat tones together. 

It also has an AUX in so you could add a blue tooth to it, retaining the factory hard wire BT. Or, go with on of the two other units with BT built in. One has 4 zone, which it great for bow or windshield speakers. 

On 5/10/2018 at 9:19 AM, MLA said:

One has 4 zone, which it great for bow or windshield speakers. 

Wetsounds make a 4 zone eq???? 
I know they list a 3 zone, but that's really the sub as number 3. 

2 hours ago, MLA said:

Well, its not an EQ, but yes,  a 4 zone volume controller with master volume, MIC, BT. Why is sub not a zone IYO? 

Is this the MC-1 that you're referencing? 

I mean it is technically a zone I guess, but when I consider a zone I feel that is a zone of listening. As you pointed out, bow, windshield, in-boat, tower. 
The sub effects ALL zones. So I think of it more of a 2 zone with sub control. In-boat and tower.

Nope, its not their media source unit, but a 4 zone volume control without EQ adjustments. 

The media source does have 4 zone volume, as well as some EQ continuation. 

The woofer may not be a physical zone location in the boat, but i like to look at it as an independent volume zone. On the other two with tower, in-boat and woofer, the sub level is full range, same as the other. so only the level is controlled, no influence on frequency, cross-over or phase. Despite the sub labeling, it could technically be used as bow or windshield zone on a boat with no woofer.